JRF

Approved I-130 Not Sent to NVC - Assistance Requested

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello

Our petition was approved by USCIS on May 29, 2013. The file has not yet been sent to NVC and I am running out of things to do in order to resolve this situation.

I filed a complaint (on July 10) with the USCIS ombudsman (no response received). I received an email from USCIS on July 18th saying the file was sent to NVC. I subsequently learned otherwise during calls and my trip to the LA field office on July 24th. During my visit I was told the I-130 unit supervisor would contact me when the file was sent to USCIS. This has not yet occurred (as of August 1).

Today (August 1) after calling NVC and learning they had not received the file I called USCIS. The first time around the tier 2 officer (to whom I was transferred after waiting 2 hours) was rude and in attempting to transfer me to her supervisor (it worked before) I was disconnected. Talk about frustrating - all I could do was take a deep breath and call back.

While waiting on hold again (I've been on the phone since noon and it's four PM) I sent an email to Robert Cowan and Donald Neufeld at USCIS. I read another posting on VJ where the petitioner did this and it got them results.

Can anyone help? With the transfer of files to field offices I knew the process would be chaotic. This is beyond chaotic - it's surreal and in a bad way.

Thanks much!

Jim

I am in the process of contacting my congressman (John Campbell).

Edited by JRF

When you say you contacted the Ombudsman, did you complete their online form DHS-7001, or just send them an email? You should complete the form if you haven't already: https://cisomb.dhs.gov/oca/form7001.aspx

You should also contact at least one of your congressional representatives to try and cut through the red tape surrounding the problem.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

I would definitely call the Ombudsman tomorrow (1-855-882-8100), quote the case number you were given by the automated system and ask for an update. The Ombudsman usually give an initial response within 1 - 2 weeks, so I'm unsure why they haven't in your case.

AoS

77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview

Naturalisation

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

I had a notice of approval (I-797) dated 5/10/2013 which stated " we have sent the ....petition to the ..NVC". This is most definitely not true. They had sent nothing !!! The notice further states that you should allow a minimum of 30 days before contacting the NVC. Well, 30 days came and went so I called the NVC. They did not yet have the petition. Per their instructions I sent an email about the problem to NVCinquiry. I also called the USCIS and was told that they have 90 days to get the petition to the NVC. So why does the notice say "we have sent" (past tense) when in fact they have not sent it ? IDK, and I was upset enough to contact my Senator's office (Mark Kirk, R-Ill). His office was extremely helpful....called the USCIS the very next day and found my petition sitting in their Chicago office. (Ironically located in the very same building as the Senator's office) They were told that it would be sent to NVC very soon and that I should have an NVC case number within 2 weeks. Sure enough, exactly 2 weeks later I had NVC case #, invoice #, etc. Would this have happened without the Senator's office inquiry ??? IDK for sure, but it sure did not hurt anything.

BTW,I got a response from NVCinquiry 41 days later !!! By that time everything had already started flowing. I had already filed the AOS and DS-3032, and tomorrow the IV 230 packet goes in. I really think that you should not be afraid to involve your Congressman or Senator. They want to help...it is how they serve you....their constituent. And it is easy if they have a helpful website like Sen. Kirk's. I sent his office an email and had a response within 30 minutes.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks - I completed the form and was sent an automated email confirming receipt. I will contact Diane Feinstein's office tomorrow to get that moving.

My case went thru this very thing. The case took 408 days so I know how this feels. I also know that my husband tried getting help from Feinstines office. She has a staff member named Gloria that has over 20 years of experience. In the end this was a total waste of time. However I suggest you go thru the motions anyway. Don't bother contacting them until you have sent the form they require which you will find on their web site. Make sure they have your correct address. Even after my husband did this Gloria still sent her response to the wrong address. In the end she told my husband that he knew more about the situation than she did. Her office did nothing during the many months we tried to get help. You will never speak to the actual senator. She is far to busy for people that haven't contributed serious money.

My husband found that going to USCIS directly by using Info Pass was the most effective. It didn't change much other than our ability to understand that these agencies are very hard to understand and almost impossible to deal with. Even USCIS in person could not find my case within their own system.

One thing you can try is to ask USCIS if they assigned a bar code to the case yet. That is the last action taken by USCIS before they send them to NVC. The cases are bundled and sent in groups to NVC where they are scanned into the system. I don't know why but NVC doesn't scan the cases quickly at times so they may sit there in the mail room for some time. This is what we were told.

If the case has a bar code it should mean it was sent. At least you would know which agency might have the file.

When you do get this understood please let us know so others will benefit from your experience because this is very frustrating to anyone.

Some members of Congress are more interested than others in things like this. During my problems I contacted Senator John Cornyn's office (moderately useful) and Congressman Mac Thornberry's office (very useful, twice). Senator Dianne Feinstein does not have a very good rep on these forums; I've read multiple posts of people here saying her office was less than useful.

Just don't forget that you have three people you can turn to (two Senators and a member of the House).

AoS

77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview

Naturalisation

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Thanks - I spoke with Barbara Boxer's office and was told they are swamped and not taking any more immigrant visa requests. Thanks @Ning for the feedback on Feinstein's office. Sounds about right to me...sadly.

I will contact my congressman's (John Campbell) office tomorrow. I've also sent an email to NVCresearch. I will try USCIS again tomorrow and see if I can get a tier 2 that takes a bit more time to help me. I will ask about the barcode (thanks @Ning!).

Appreciate everyone's help and support. Once I get this resolved (and I am confident it will get resolved) I will post details as to what I did and what I think worked.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks - I spoke with Barbara Boxer's office and was told they are swamped and not taking any more immigrant visa requests. Thanks @Ning for the feedback on Feinstein's office. Sounds about right to me...sadly.

I will contact my congressman's (John Campbell) office tomorrow. I've also sent an email to NVCresearch. I will try USCIS again tomorrow and see if I can get a tier 2 that takes a bit more time to help me. I will ask about the barcode (thanks @Ning!).

Appreciate everyone's help and support. Once I get this resolved (and I am confident it will get resolved) I will post details as to what I did and what I think worked.

I hope this gets resolved quickly for you. I strongly suggest you go see USCIS in person. My husband actually flew back to the USA twice to do that and met with them 3 times in two different offices. They told him " these things just never happen" while acknowledging it had. One supervisor did take the time to call him back once but they still hadn't found the case. All of his efforts simply served to make us feel we had done all we could. My husband also wrote 9 letters to them because they said that would help them figure out the answer. They never answered one of those letters. Ever.

Having said that it could be you will get a better result by sitting down with them.

Edited by Ning

Thanks - I had one appointment and have another already scheduled. You are likely right that the benefit is limited to making me feel like I am doing something whereas in reality absent divine intervention (or a really talented and connected congressional liaison) it comes down to a combination of luck and persistence. Things don't go wrong often (they have a massive volume of files) but when they do they seem to go really wrong.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I hope you are able to get everything resolved soon! Thanks for posting the issues that you are going through....also thanks to all the people responding. It is good to know what issues might come up as well as how they have been handled best. Also, I just really appreciate your positive outlook as you are going through this frustration.

I look forward to seeing how you get everything worked out! Good luck! :)

s-event.png s-event.png
IR-1/CR-1 Visa : National Benefits Center NVC Received: 2014-01-08
Consulate : Montreal, Canada NVC Case Number: 2014-02-07
Marriage : 2013-02-22 Paid I-864 Bill: 2014-02-13
I-130 Sent : 2013-03-16 Sent I-864 Docs: 2014-02-14
I-130 NOA1 : 2013-03-20 Paid IV Bill: 2014-03-03
Trans. to NSC : 2013-11-05 Sent IV Docs: 2014-03-04
I-130 NOA2: 2013-12-16 Submitted DS-260: 2014-03-06

Case Complete 2014-03-21

Interview & APPROVED 2014-05-08

POE 2014-06-21

Update...the email that I sent to Donald Neufeld, Robert Cowan and Lori Scialabba (the assistant director, I cc'd her to get people's attention) got immediate results. Cowan sent the email to a number of other people with instructions to figure it out, fix it, and get back to me. A couple of hours later I received an email from USCIS stating a check of their systems revealed our file was sent to NVC today. Imagine that. What an incredible coincidence.

I will call NVC daily starting next Wednesday or Thursday until I confirm receipt and get a case number. This whole episode has really confirmed the truth of the Russian proverb Trust but Verify.

I stopped by my congressman's office on the way home from work (before I got this email) to ask them to contact USCIS. I am likely to let them do their thing and confirm this for me. I would call USCIS but I am tired of being on hold for two hours waiting for a tier II officer.

Off to the gym to hit the heavy bag...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

That is so cool !

My approval notice mentioned 'adjustment of status' and it took my ILS Human about 2 weeks to get it sorted, but it was sorted whilst the casefile was still at the local office in Dallas (Irving). (Can read my map in my profile)

SuperFastMondoCool, for you, yay !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Glad to hear you got swift action.

Edited by Hypnos

AoS

77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview

Naturalisation

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.