lost_at_sea

DCF London I-130 for IR1/CR1 Spouse guide

37 posts in this topic

I've made an updated version of this guide on the wiki, so I can keep it more current. It's here:

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/DCF_London

You can still post updates, new info etc. on this thread and I'll add it to the main guide, but if you are comfortable editing the wiki, please go ahead and add your new information there.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

I'm trying to understand all the fees required through this process for spouse visa. Based on the above posts, these are the fees I see. Please can anyone shed some light on this, is this about right?

$420 I-130

$235 Medical exam

$230 Visa

$165 USCIS Immigration fee for green card

You got everything right, with the exception of $235 medical. It is 235 but GBP, not USD.

Hi All.

First post, been lurking for a while whilst I got everything figured out. Have started the DCF journey by submitting the initial I-130 and associated forms on Feb 21st, NOA1 received March 5th.

One thing that I caught right at the last minute, is the Embassy have updated the I-I30 checklist form and there is a new requirement - including a photocopy of the beneficiary's passport (photo page).

I found this by getting lucky - i'd had a printed version I was working from, I misplaced it, checked the form on the Embassy page and saw the update and new requirement.

Didn't think I'd seen this anywhere on here, so thought I'd mention it. (Not sure how to update the wiki etc,)

Thanks so much to all the users that have contributed to this guide. Super useful.

• 6 months later...

Hello Team.

I'm new here but have been following this topic for a while - and found the wiki super useful, so thankyou for giving us that resource.

I'm currently in the awkward limbo stage between having had my I-130 approved, and waiting for packet 3. I've just spent some time trying to get in contact with whoever will help to get hold of my LND number, and so have a few updates for the contact part of the Wiki, if someone would be willing to update it for me.

The Department of State line (DoS): US 202 663 1225 --- This number is no longer in use, an automated voice will kindly tell you and then hang up.

National Visa Center (NVC): US 603-334-0700 --- These guys seem to be completely unhelpful unless you have a receipt number, which i don't think you get if you file with London.

My only option left was to use the contact form on the embassy website, so we'll see how that goes.

Also, if anyone is interested, it took just 38 days from NOA-1 (filing date, August 1st) to NOA-2 (approval, September 8th). I think thats pretty impressive considering some of the backlogs I'm hearing about in the US. Lets hope this next stage is pretty quick so i can see my lovely wife again!

Does anyone happen to know roughly how soon you can get yourself a medical appointment? Are we talking a waiting list of a days, weeks, months? And similar with the visa interview - is there any way of telling how soon they can schedule you? I'd appreciate any information or experience you may have.

Thanks again.

J

• 4 months later...
Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello!

Hoping that this one is still active as it was posted quite some time ago...

I'm a US/British (dual) citizen and have always fancied aliens. The good news is, I am now marrying one.. I'm getting married in the next 7 weeks, so trying to get all my ducks lined up in a row to make the process of getting her a green card and relocating of my wife-to-be as quick as possible. We both live and work in London, and have done for a number of years, so I was planning on going down the DCF route.

Having scoured the London Embassy website, tried calling through, and reading various forums, I have a few questions that I hope to be really straight forward.

1) in the below, the last section of Step 1 is to start collecting documents for step 2. Do both my alien bride AND myself as the petitioner require a police report, or is JUST my fiancee?
2) throughout the process, Ive counted 4 photos for my fiancee, and 1 for me. (one each for the G 325 form as part of the initial I 130 form, 1 for the medical, and 2 for her visa)
- how many photos do we actually need?

3) my fiancee is planning on taking my name, however, her passport and supporting documentation obviously have her maiden name on them. is the marriage certificate on its own enough to support the legal change of name for her, or do we require a new passport for her, or do we require some other documentation confirming that she has changed her name since the marriage?

4) are we required to submit both our original birth certificates AND our passports?

Really appreciate any comments/feedback on this one.

Kind regards,

This is a common-case DCF London guide for spousal visas (I-130 for IR-1/CR-1).

NOTE: Always do your own reading and research, and double check everything on the official sites. This is a GUIDE to show what to expect, not the official manual from the embassy. Read the whole thread to check for updates and caveats from other VJ members before beginning.

The London Embassy provides it’s own information at the following URL, and also includes links to all the required forms, a complete and very detailed checklist, and an example completed I-130 form:

http://london.usembassy.gov/dhs/uscis/i130filing.html

Pre-requisites for DCF in London for I-130 petition for Spousal CR-1/IR-1:

• USC must be resident in the UK for at least 6 months prior to the time of filing
  • USC may be on any visa, except for tourist visa and should be able to show their UKBA entry clearance
  • USC must be able to show their citizenship (either through passport or birth certificate)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 1
Petitioner sends I-130 package to the USCIS Office in London!

The petitioner is the USC living abroad in the UK, and the beneficiary is their partner of any nationality. The petitioner completes Step 1 (although the beneficiary must sign their G-235a form), and the beneficiary completes everything thereafter except the Affidavit of Support (I-864) which the petitioner and, if applicable, their joint-sponsor should complete.

1.1. Compile all the required forms and documents listed in this pdf: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/unitedkingdom/164203/dhs/i130-checklist_for_spouse.pdf

Your pack will include any of the following (*asterisk is an optional item, depending on your specific case):

• Completed I-130 form by petitioner
  • Evidence of petitioner’s US citizenship (birth certificate or copy of biographic information in passport)
  • Evidence of petitioner’s UK residency (photocopy of visa and entry stamp is ideal - they want to see how long you’ve had UKBA entry clearance)
  • Marriage certificate (photocopy only)
  • 2 x G-325a biographic information forms (one each, both with US-sized photographs attached)
  • Divorce decree(s) for any previous marriages for either petitioner or beneficiary*
  • E-notification form G-1145 with petitioners email*
  • Record of any name-change if different from any official documentation*
  • Payment form ($420)
  • Ticked-off checklist
  • 1 self-addressed envelope with a first-class stamp attached (this will be used to send you your NOA1 approval notification). Address to petitioner.
  • Translations of any of the above if not in English*

London does not want to see any additional documentation outside of this list, nor does it want to see any relationship evidence. Save all that for the interview.

What happens next?
You will receive your NOA1 (receipt for application) via email to the petitioner, with an attachment. It will not provide you with a case number - instead applicants are asked to check the currently processing date on the I-130 website (http://london.usembassy.gov/dhs/uscis/i130filing.html) and to only contact if their NOA1 date is earlier than that listed there. It's normal for it to take a week or so to get your NOA1 email.

It takes London about 1 calendar month to approve petitions (at time of writing). The approval (NOA2) will come in the form of a letter sent in the self-addressed envelope you included in the package. The letter will just be a confirmation of approval and state that the beneficiary will receive further correspondence on what to do next (this will be “Packet 3”). It has a “case file number”, but this USCIS number is of little use and is not the same as your “LND number”. You will be assigned a new Department of State (DoS) number (LNDXXXXXXXXXX) when the Immigrant Visa Unit receives your approved petition.

Your LND number is your ticket to booking your medical, but as your case will not be passing through the NVC you should be able to obtain it direct from the London embassy or the DoS phone line (see contacts below) within about 3 weeks from approval (although it is likely you’ll receive your Packet 3 letter within this time, anyway). You can try calling the embassy/DoS any time after approval, but note that although your case is being transferred from USCIS to DoS (IV Unit) likely in the same building, it may sit in a “to be processed” pile for a number of days before the other IV department has your case logged and LND assigned.

What to do while you wait:
While awaiting approval (NOA2), these are things the beneficiary should consider doing in advance:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a two step process

Part 1- USCIS-the American files. Follow the London web page for what to submit with the I-130. This is the current posted checklist to help you http://photos.state.gov/libraries/unitedkingdom/164203/dhs/i130-checklist_for_spouse.pdf

You will see you have to document that you are a US citizen, are married, are legally living in the UK (not just popped over for a week's holiday), etc. Send original forms filled out and signed, and photocopies of the documentation items like marriage certificate.

Part 2- Immigrant Visa Unit which is not USCIS, but the Department of State. It is all about your alien here because she is applying for a visa in this step. Her medical, her police report, her birth certificate, her passport...all presented as originals when she goes to interview along with a photocopy so they can give back her documents after seeing them and file the photocopies. The only thing really about the American is the Affidavit of Support I-864. You may require a (US) joint-sponsor since you have no earnings in the US. Because this is two parts with two different agencies, some things may be asked for by each like the marriage certificate proof for both petition and interview.

So your questions--

1. Only your fiancé needs a police report. That's Part 2- visa application.

2. The only change to note is that recently the Knightsbridge Doctors, who comduct the medical, have started requiring 4 photos at the medical. They will take US or UK size. They attach one to each page of the medical results.

3. Her marriage certificate is sufficient for the name change. Her passport does not have to match her new married name.

4. All original documents are taken in hand to the interview. For the petition, it is photocopies if on the I-130 checklist. Since it is your fiancé who is interviewing, it is only her passport and birth certificate for the interview (as well as any other document the interview requires of her.) No to your passport and birth certificate at her interview. You don't even have to be present at her interview.

As a side comment: I am the American. We have finished the entire immigration process from petition to his naturalization. Nobody ever laid eyes on my original birth certificate or passport. They only saw photocopies.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

• 7 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.