zttrszPwCmp

BINATIONAL SAME SEX COUPLES !! Show up!

1,174 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Hello my girlfriend and I started the process back in july 2014 and we got the noa2 on april 14. She is from cuba , im wondering if any of you guys know of any same sex case from cuba? Thank you and congratulations to those who got approved!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm just here to urge everyone to know the details of DOMA falling as it pertains to spousal immigration. I'm now visa in hand, but I got a co at my interview who thought that the fall of DOMA only applies if your spouse lives in a state where your marriage is recognized at the state level. He initially said he didn't think I was eligible because my wife lives in Texas. I kept telling him immigration was a federal issue, not a state one, because of the supreme Court decision on DOMA. That married was married as far as the federal government was concerned.

I truly believe that if I hadn't known that, and been standing there quoting the date of the decision and what it meant, my interview would have ended at that point and I'd be busy appealing right now. He did find information in his computer that backed up what I was telling him, but he didn't start looking until I protested.

Know the law. Know it and use it and if your co is clueless, ask for a supervisor if they can't find the thing in their computer that says same sex marriage grants immigration rights, regardless of state of residence.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

Timeline

I'm just here to urge everyone to know the details of DOMA falling as it pertains to spousal immigration. I'm now visa in hand, but I got a co at my interview who thought that the fall of DOMA only applies if your spouse lives in a state where your marriage is recognized at the state level. He initially said he didn't think I was eligible because my wife lives in Texas. I kept telling him immigration was a federal issue, not a state one, because of the supreme Court decision on DOMA. That married was married as far as the federal government was concerned.

I truly believe that if I hadn't known that, and been standing there quoting the date of the decision and what it meant, my interview would have ended at that point and I'd be busy appealing right now. He did find information in his computer that backed up what I was telling him, but he didn't start looking until I protested.

Know the law. Know it and use it and if your co is clueless, ask for a supervisor if they can't find the thing in their computer that says same sex marriage grants immigration rights, regardless of state of residence.

Thank you for this advice. It's frightening to think that the people who have the say on what happens with the rest of our lives are sometimes so ignorant of the rules. I'm anticipating my interview in the next few months, and I'll be sure to keep this in mind. Good on you for being so knowledgeable and proactive, and for helping the rest of us for it.

That being said, I am thrilled that you finally get to go and be with your partner. I can't wait until I can say the same for myself!

September 29, 2012 - First met through a writing forum
January 5, 2014 - Engaged!
June 27, 2014 - Married!

USCIS:
September 23, 2014 - Sent off I-130 package
September 29, 2014 - Priority Date
September 30, 2014 - NOA1
March 26, 2015 - NOA2
April 2, 2015 - Case shipped to NVC

NVC:
April 13, 2015 - Case Number/IIN received
April 15, 2015 - DS-261 submitted
April 15, 2015 - AOS fee paid
April 21, 2015 - AOS package submitted
April 21, 2015 - IV package submitted
April 21, 2015 - Scan date

April 30, 2015 - DS-261 reviewed over the phone

May 12, 2015 - IV fee paid (late due to "EP lock")
May 13, 2015 - DS-260 submitted

May 27, 2015 - AOS/IV packages still not reviewed, flagged for supervisor review

July 10, 2015 - Supervisor review does nothing, flagged for unit manager review
August 11, 2015 - Case Complete!

Interview:

October 6, 2015 - Medical

October 13, 2015 - Interview date (AP - need to submit copy of 2014 W2)
October 21, 2015 - Visa status changed to "READY" and then a few hours later "ISSUED"

October 28, 2015 - Passport received (was available for pickup Oct. 27)
October 28, 2015 - POE fee paid
October 30, 2015 - POE!

After POE:
November 9, 2015 - Received SSN (checked off option to apply on forms)
December 1, 2015 - Received Green Card

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

This is why I avoid all the general threads for each month and stick to the ones that are specifically labelled TSC. I'm happy for the CSC folks but I'd rather not be confronted with "what might have been" on a daily basis!

I'm currently in Florida visiting my fiancée, I'll be here until the end of the month. I'm trying to make the most of this visit because it's probably the last until I immigrate permanently. I had planned to try to come back in the early fall if the wait time at TSC doesn't change (or god forbid, gets longer), but considering my experience at customs on this trip, I no longer think this is wise (see this post for details: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/67796-yes-you-can-visit/?p=7618992).She will visit me for a week at the end of June, but I think that will be it as far as visits go. :(

Right now we're discussing wedding plans. We want something small and low-key, so we're not sure whether we'll do it in the area or elope somewhere else, like San Francisco. At least we have some time to think about it, since it's not likely to happen until 2016 at this rate...

I had no idea there were TSC only threads...I'll have to look for them. Thanks for the suggestions!

Also, I read your other thread, terrible, it shouldn't have happened. *hugs* I hope things move quickly for you so you don't want to worry about a long time apart, it really is the worst part of all of this, I think. That said, I'm glad you were able to get in, I dont know what I would've done if I'd been told I had to leave.

I've been to San Francisco, and they're very pricey, and probably booked far in advance. That said, it's an amazing city, and while I personally wouldn't want to marry there, it'd make a great honeymoon or casual vacation later on.

Congratultions on obtaining your visa, and thanks for sharing this in case others don't know. Hopefully, in less than two months, there'll be a final ruling and it wont matter which state anyone lives in, because marriage equality will be the law of the land. However, even then, I'm sure ignorant co's may still pose challenges, so people definitely need to keep apprised of what's going on. Thankfully, same-sex marriage was legalized in NC only a few months before we filed (but actually a few months after we had thought we'd file, but delays got in the way), so at least for me, it doesn't seem like an issue at the moment.

09/06/2013: Along Came a Relationship

04/16/2014: When Darren Met Harel (in person for the first time)

08/14/2014: The Proposal (but in Mexico, not Alaska)

02/27/2015: Flight of the Application

03/03/2015: Reception (Christopher NOA1an's latest masterpiece)

09/25/2015: 205 Days Later (NOA2)

05/11/20116: Engagement ended for familial reasons

Timeline

Congratultions on obtaining your visa, and thanks for sharing this in case others don't know. Hopefully, in less than two months, there'll be a final ruling and it wont matter which state anyone lives in, because marriage equality will be the law of the land. However, even then, I'm sure ignorant co's may still pose challenges, so people definitely need to keep apprised of what's going on. Thankfully, same-sex marriage was legalized in NC only a few months before we filed (but actually a few months after we had thought we'd file, but delays got in the way), so at least for me, it doesn't seem like an issue at the moment.

I'm really hoping the supreme Court comes down on our side once again. Fingers crossed!

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

This is REALLY important for all of us. Even now, print out the ruling and take it with you to your interview. We applied for our CR1 visa the day after DOMA fell. Luckily, the Australian Consulate didn't give us ANY problems!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hello everyone! So my fiance and I have started a fundraiser to help raise some money to offset the immigration costs (we're both students, so this'll help us avoid going any further into debt), but we prepared a video about our story to go with it and I thought I would share that with all of you. I'm really interested in knowing how you all met and how things came to be as they are now.

Anyways, you can find it here: gofundme.com/DarrenHarel

Edited by dsldesch

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Out of curiosity: Has anyone reached the point of ROC yet? (I-751, Removal of Conditions)? It's been awhile since I read this thread, and I do intend to comb through recent posts, but I figured it's also worth asking in case people hadn't posted about it yet. I feel like this must be coming up SOON for some of the first couples (though, we're among the "first couples" and we're not quite there yet.) I'm wondering how it's going for people out there with this step.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Out of curiosity: Has anyone reached the point of ROC yet? (I-751, Removal of Conditions)? It's been awhile since I read this thread, and I do intend to comb through recent posts, but I figured it's also worth asking in case people hadn't posted about it yet. I feel like this must be coming up SOON for some of the first couples (though, we're among the "first couples" and we're not quite there yet.) I'm wondering how it's going for people out there with this step.

Ferricide, the earliest any IR-1/CR-1 couples would be going through ROC is next January/February or so, I think. We filed the day after DOMA fell, and it took us a year to get through the system. Our POE is July 15, 2014, so we can apply for ROC as of April 16, 2016. We were stuck in Texas for a while, and then NVC delayed us another month with a bogus checklist item.

Any couples earlier than this would have been any who could do DCF (Direct Consular Filing), so if any of you are out there, give us a shout!

I have been collecting "proof" of our ongoing relationship in a folder along the way. My attorney told me to be diligent in doing this - because it's easier than trying to backtrack back to our wedding day and dig up pictures and joint travel and other data.

It's so nice when we travel now - we can present at immigration as a couple. We are usually coming through JFK - and the Immigration Officers are always sooooo nice!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

When I went for my fiance visa interview, I brought with me the 3-page Matter Of Zeleniak ruling by the Board Of Immigration Appeals. It states that the DOMA decision now allows for same-sex fiance visas to be issued. Just in case. I never had to use it though. The US Embassy visa officer was well versed in the new ramifications of DOMA for immigration law.

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

Still waiting on AOS... we must have been transferred to the slowest processing center within USCIS. I still check the case status... nothing nothing nothing. EAD renewal is also pending now. Anyone else in the waiting boat?

K1 Visa Adjustment of Status

Consulate : Hong Kong, China CIS Office : Cincinnati OH

I-129F Sent : 2013-07-24 Initial Processing Center : MSC

I-129F NOA1 : 2013-08-06 Case Transferred to: NSC (According to Case Status)

I-129F NOA2 : 2013-10-04 Date Filed : 2014-04-22

NVC Received : 2013-11-08 NOA Date : 2014-04-29

Consulate Received : 2013-11-19 RFE : 2014-05-19

Packet 3 Received : 2013-11-21 Bio. Appt. : 2014-05-21

Packet 3 Sent : 2013-12-03 RFE Returned : 2014-05-24

Packet 4 Received : 2013-12-21 RFE Received (Online Status Change). : 2014-05-29

Interview Date : 2014-01-14 EAD Approved : 2014-06-27

Interview Result : Approved EAD Card Produced : 2014-07-02

Visa Issued : 2014-01-22 EAD Card Received : 2014-07-05

Visa Received : 2014-01-25 Potential Interview Waiver Letter Dated : 2014-08-13

US Entry : 2014-03-13 Potential Interview Waiver Letter Received : 2014-08-18

POE: ORD (Chicago O'hare) EAD Renewal NOA : 2015-05-07

Time at Primary Inspection : 5 min EAD Renewal Biometric : 2015-06-02

Time at Secondary Inspection : 15 min AoS Out of Normal Processing Time Request Filed : 2015-06-18

Marriage : 2014-04-07 (L) EAD Expedition Request Filed : 2015-06-19

Infopass Appointment : 2015-06-25 (Useful: received info of IO assignment and field office location)

EAD (Expedited) RFE Received : 2015-06-26

EAD (Expedited) RFE Faxed (as instructed) : 2015-06-26

EAD (Expedited) Approved : 2015-07-01

EAD Card Mailed : 2015-07-16

AoS RFE : 2015-07-17 (Redo Medical)

EAD Card Received : 2015-07-18

AoS RFE Received : 2015-07-23 (Redo Medical)

AoS RFE Sent : 2015-08-04 (Medical)

AoS Approved : 2015-08-10

Green Card Mailed : 2015-08-24

Green Card Received : 2015-08-26

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Well, almost 14 months after we filed for AOS, the Green Card arrived today, exactly a week after our interview. We had originally received a potential interview waiver letter, but in April received an interview appointment notice for May 10. We had been collecting relationship evidence over the last year, so the pictures and supporting documentation were ready. We were also asked to bring affidavits from two family members on each side of the family attesting to the validity of our marriage, so that required a little work as a couple of affidavits had to be done in Portuguese and completed in Brazil. But we were pretty well prepared on the big day, and the process went pretty smooothly.

Thanks to everyone who has been with us during this process, and now we can give USCIS a rest for a couple years!

Timeline

Well, almost 14 months after we filed for AOS, the Green Card arrived today, exactly a week after our interview. We had originally received a potential interview waiver letter, but in April received an interview appointment notice for May 10. We had been collecting relationship evidence over the last year, so the pictures and supporting documentation were ready. We were also asked to bring affidavits from two family members on each side of the family attesting to the validity of our marriage, so that required a little work as a couple of affidavits had to be done in Portuguese and completed in Brazil. But we were pretty well prepared on the big day, and the process went pretty smooothly.

Thanks to everyone who has been with us during this process, and now we can give USCIS a rest for a couple years!

Congratulations!

Are affidavits like this commonly requested? My fiance doesn't have a large family, and I feel we may only have one person on his side actually willing to write one (and even then, I'm not sure how willing his mother would be...she's only recently started being open to our relationship).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Congratulations!

Are affidavits like this commonly requested? My fiance doesn't have a large family, and I feel we may only have one person on his side actually willing to write one (and even then, I'm not sure how willing his mother would be...she's only recently started being open to our relationship).

Thanks! As far as the request for affidavits goes, I don't think it's an uncommon request. The request was part of the form letter that we received scheduling the interview. It also occurred to me that this request could be a problem for some same-sex couples in cases when there are real acceptance issues on one or both sides of the family. Our interviewer was not particularly "warm and fuzzy," so I did not raise this issue with her as I had no idea what her views on same-sex marriage were and it wasn't relevant to our situation. If this situation were to arise, however, I would alert USCIS in advance of the interview and be prepared to provide affidavits from close friends, witnesses to your wedding, etc. who can make the same statements.

Congratulations to you guys! Sorry you had to scramble for the affidavits but glad it all worked out! Enjoy GreenCard-hood! Just watched the new documentary on PBS about the original binational couple married in the 1970s in Colorado and feeling grateful for where we are today. Hopefully more good news will come from the Supreme Court by the end of this month!

K1 Timeline

07/29/2013 I-129F Sent via FedEx to Lewisville, TX. 07/30/2013 I-129F TSC Received. 08/01/2013 NOA1. 08/07/2013 NOA1 Received by mail.

10/30/2013 NOA2

11/04/2013 NOA2 Received by mail. 11/21/2013 USCIS shipped the approved case to NVC 

12/02/2013 NVC Received, LND case number provided, "At NVC" 12/04/2013 Left NVC! "In Transit"

12/11/2013 Medical - Completed! 

01/23/2014 INTERVIEW! APPROVED!

01/31/2014 VISA IN HAND!

03/31/2014 POE New York JFK 04/19/2014 WEDDING!

AOS Timeline

04/30/2014 Forms sent via FedEx to USCIS in Chicago, IL

05/10/2014 Received NOA in mail

06/03/2014 Biometrics @ Varick Street ASC - Completed!

07/12/2014 AP/EAD Approved!

07/18/2014 EAD/AP card received in mail!

08/18/2014 Notice of Potential Interview Waiver received

04/14/2015 GC approved and in Production!

04/18/2015 Received Welcome Letter!

04/21/2015 GREEN CARD ARRIVED!!

Lifting of Conditions Timeline

01/14/2017 I-751 Package sent via USPS Priority Express to USCIS Vermont Service Center

01/18/2017 NOA date

01/27/2017 Received NOA in the mail 

02/09/2017 Received Biometrics Appt Letter

02/21/2017 Biometrics Appointment 

12/21/2017 Removal of Conditions approved! 

01/02/2018 Received NOA in the mail

01/08/2018 Website updated to "my card was mailed," received text and email to same effect, and Green Card appeared on same day in the mail!

Naturalization Timeline

01/14/2018 Filed online, credit card payment accepted, NOA dated 1/14/18 appeared online 1/17/18. Received NOA in the mail on 1/19/18.

02/09/2018 Biometrics Appointment

10/10/2018 Interview Letter posted online

11/14/2018 Interview

12/07/2018 OATH!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.