Nina and Erwin

So sad that USA immigration is such a joke

72 posts in this topic

UK apparently now has quite a cumbersome system having to jump through hoops finacials, etc...

my personal experience, In Italy, to get my permit to stay (permesso di soggiorno) waited outside the police station 3 days a row behind barriers starting at 6 am... The officer yelled and screamed at everyone calling them names and handed out a random number of tickets which indicated how many people they would see that day (one day they only handed out 16 numbers as they had some officers not show up for work) .... They only see people between 8-11 am and if you got a number... Took me 3 days... And I was sick with a cold after the whole ordeal...

So yes, there are other places with systems that are challenged

The UK used to be a royal pain in the ### last year as that was me and my fiance's first plan last year. Don't think it was anywhere near as long though. After a lot of discussion/changing circumstances we decided to start our lives in the US instead. It's actually not too bad now at all, just the financial requirements are quite high.

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014
Interview waiver letter received - 6/9/2014

Card production notice - 1/10/2015

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

ROC received at CSC - 10/18/2016

Interview Notice Received - 3/30/2017

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

sorry all had a bad exp nothing is perfect.still the greatest country on earth. many thousdands of people want to be here and it is a tough job making sure right people get here. nothing really good ever comes easy. believe me I have same problems everybody has but I still believe this is the greatest country ever

It is certainly among the great empires in human history. Imperialism has many profoundly negative aspects. The way you write leads me to believe you are not much of a student of history. But if you are capable of more than knee-jerk reaction, you could start with A People's History of the United States (Howard Zinn) and Killing Hope (William Blum).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

I just wonder how many people have ever actually experienced what their own country's immigration system is like? I know my husband used to complain about the usa system and was actually shocked at the system in Italy, he thought for sure Italy and the EU had to be easier, wrong!... The system here is America is Cumbersome, expensive and long yes... But much more humane... In my experience ...

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

I just wonder how many people have ever actually experienced what their own country's immigration system is like? I know my husband used to complain about the usa system and was actually shocked at the system in Italy, he thought for sure Italy and the EU had to be easier, wrong!... The system here is America is Cumbersome, expensive and long yes... But much more humane... In my experience ...

Good point. I can honestly tell you, I wouldn't want to be an immigrant in my home country...

As for the OP, I'm sorry you've had to go through this. I hope things look up for you from now on, whichever way you choose to follow (US or your husband's home country).

My CR1 timeline (DCF London):
June 26, 2010 - civil wedding
Aug 2, 2010 - I-130 package mailed to the London Consulate (DCF)
Aug 9, 2010 - NOA1 (confirmation of receipt) via email
Sep 4, 2010 - religious wedding
Oct 21, 2010 - NOA2
Nov 25, 2010 - Case number received in the mail
Nov 29, 2010 - Medical
Dec 1, 2010 - DS-230I & DS-2001 forms mailed back
Feb 1, 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!!!
Feb 7, 2011 - Passport with Visa received via courier
June 7, 2011 - POE Los Angeles (LAX)
June 18, 2011 - 2-Year Green card received in the mail!!!

My ROC journey:
April 2, 2013 - I-751 package mailed to California Service Center

April 3, 2013 - NOA1 date
April 8, 2013 - check cleared
May 6, 2013 - Biometrics completed

July 25, 2013 - 10 year green card APPROVED!! (notification via text and email, and website updated)

July 29, 2013 - ROC approval letter received in the mail

July 31, 2013 - 10 year green card received in the mail!!!

My N-400 journey:

March 19, 2014 - N-400 package mailed to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

March 24, 2014 - NOA1 date and Priority Date

March 27, 2014 - Check cleared

April 21, 2014 - Biometrics done

May 7, 2014 - In line for interview

June 23, 2014 - Scheduled for interview

July 28, 2014 - Interview - PASSED!!

July 30, 2014 - In line for oath

July 31, 2014 - Scheduled for oath

Aug 2, 2014 - Oath letter received

Aug 27, 2014 - Oath ceremony, I am a US citizen!!!

Sep 11, 2014 - US passport received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

It is certainly among the great empires in human history. Imperialism has many profoundly negative aspects. The way you write leads me to believe you are not much of a student of history. But if you are capable of more than knee-jerk reaction, you could start with A People's History of the United States (Howard Zinn) and Killing Hope (William Blum).

ya it so bad , millions want to be here. people like you amaze me always thinking you are so smart and everyone else who does not agree with you, must not be a " student of history" well i dont apologize for loving this country which I fought for and seen friends die for! So anytime you having a bad day and want to take a shot at america, I'll be here for you

DeWayne

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

ya it so bad , millions want to be here. people like you amaze me always thinking you are so smart and everyone else who does not agree with you, must not be a " student of history" well i dont apologize for loving this country which I fought for and seen friends die for! So anytime you having a bad day and want to take a shot at america, I'll be here for you

You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts. You react in exactly the way I predicted (react, as in reactionary). Stupidity and ignorance do not trump smarts and knowledge. What progress the US has made over the years has been driven by dissent to change bad status quos, not by the reactionary jingoism which you express. You respond to "So sad that US immigration is such a joke", not with real empathy for Nina and Erwin or an analysis of why the immigration system is so profoundly broken and what might be done to fix it, but with "my country right or wrong" jingoism ("I don't like seeing USA and joke in same sentence"). Because the system IS profoundly dysfunctional. Largely because of very poor communication with US citizens. The communication transcends very poor to abysmal. So, when your I-130 is approved but the NVC does not receive it for months (which is happening to many people), a US citizen cannot find out where it physically is, let alone the reason for the delay, short of intervention by senators and congresspeople (which is sometimes, but not always effective). Celebrate it when it's right, fix it when it's wrong...

Timeline

going to break my rule one last time> yes its true im just a hay seed country boy not as smart as yourself and thank you for putting me in my place you are very good at it . must have a lot of practice. Only facts I offered up were that I love this country I fought for this country and some of my close friends died for this country. those are the facts and I am entitled to them

DeWayne

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Fiji
Timeline

so here is a giant agency with dysfunction just like any other government agency and the challenges and barriers that are put up are created in attempt to prevent fraudulent immigrants from coming to the states are a joke???

I remember thinking it was going to be a snap when I got married to someone out of the country, but I learned my lesson quite quickly

remember who chose to marry a foreign national.. not really agreeing that the uscis is at fault for all of the challenges.. sorry

8/16/2012 I-129F NOA1
11/8/2012 Married
1/3/2013 I-129F cancelled
1/29/2013 withdrawal notice received
2/5/2013 I-130 NOA1 with error on wife's name
Case status not available
2/5/2013 Unable to generate service request

3/13/2013 transferred to local office
3/26/2013 Service request generated
4/12/2013 Infopass, file in workflow March 28
4/19/2013 Case status available - APPROVED!

Detour to the NVC via NRC

For information on my detour and the steps I took to free my petition, check
"about me"

NVC

6/7/2013 NVC logs file as received

6/11/2013 Case number and IIN assigned

6/12/2013 DS-3032 emailed

6/13/21013 AOS paid

6/14/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention superuser (stupid me)

6/23/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention supervisor

6/24/2013 DS-3032 accepted

6/25/2013 IV bill generated and paid

07/06/2013 IV & AOS sent; 07/11/2013 NVC logs received

07/30/2013 IV Accepted; AOS Checklist

08/01/2013 AOS Checklist received

08/02/2013 AOS resent; 08/07/2013 NVC logs received

08/28/2013 Case Complete

09/10/2013 Interview date assigned

Embassy

08/14/2013 Medical; 08/19/2013 Medical Ready

08/07/2013 Police cert ordered (Fiji delivers straight to the embassy)

10/02/2013 Interview

xx/xx/2013 Visa in Hand

xx/xx/2013 POE Los Angeles International Airport

Sorry to hear your experience has now been what you wanted. We had the exact opposite experience. Everything was very fast a smooth. We went through the entire immigration process in a few months, basically with no problems. We are loving our new life in the US. Your experience is unfortunate, however I don't think it's descriptive of the system as a whole. Immigrating to a new country is not necessarily easy. I hope the rest of your journey will be easier. Cheer up, it's all gonna be alright!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Cause that's the whole point! Right? Keep us safe? Keep out the Bad guys/people? ... LOCKS ONLY KEEP OUT GOOD PEOPLE!! Honest People!! Bad people.. don't use locks! What a joke.

good.gif

Love is a gift and not to be earned, therefore one should never hold any regrets for giving love regardless of the outcome...

http://www.whitehouse.gov/share/immigration-and-economy?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=email221-text1&utm_campaign=immigration

event.png

I know that the interchange of ideas is always positive, but please don't turn this into an endless argument where everyone wants to be right. We are all or most of all in the same path. Please, more support and understanding and less ego

Nina and Erwin, I'm just starting with my process and I can feel your pain. I pray everything turns out good to you and you can reunite with your family as soon as possible.

USCIS

NATIONAL BENEFITS CENTER (NBC)

06/20/2013: I-130 sent

06/25/2013: I-130 NOA1

12/27/2013: Case transferred to NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER (NSC)

03/26/2014: I-130 Approved

03/31/2014: Case shipped to NVC

NVC

04/11/2014: Case received by NVC

05/15/2014: NVC Case Number & Invoice ID Number assigned

05/18/2014: DS-261 completed and submitted online

05/25/2014: AOS fee paid

06/19/2014: AOS package sent

06/27/2014: IV fee paid

07/02/2014: IV package sent

07/07/2014: DS-260 completed and submitted online

09/03/2014: Case completed at NVC

10/06/2014: Medicals

10/20/2014: Interview at the U.S. Embassy in Buenos Aires, Argentina

I601

04/09/2015: I601 package sent to Phoenix Lockbox.

04/14/2015: Receipt number received via email.

11/25/2015: Our Case was approved!!!

01/20/2016: 2nd Interview at the U.S. Embassy in Buenos Aires, Argentina

01/22/2016: VISA STATUS at ceac.state.gov/ceac/: ISSUED

:yes:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts. You react in exactly the way I predicted (react, as in reactionary). Stupidity and ignorance do not trump smarts and knowledge. What progress the US has made over the years has been driven by dissent to change bad status quos, not by the reactionary jingoism which you express. You respond to "So sad that US immigration is such a joke", not with real empathy for Nina and Erwin or an analysis of why the immigration system is so profoundly broken and what might be done to fix it, but with "my country right or wrong" jingoism ("I don't like seeing USA and joke in same sentence"). Because the system IS profoundly dysfunctional. Largely because of very poor communication with US citizens. The communication transcends very poor to abysmal. So, when your I-130 is approved but the NVC does not receive it for months (which is happening to many people), a US citizen cannot find out where it physically is, let alone the reason for the delay, short of intervention by senators and congresspeople (which is sometimes, but not always effective). Celebrate it when it's right, fix it when it's wrong...

I have to agree with this post 100%.

I do honor those who have fought and died for this country but I also honor those who died in the streets when the "jokes" this country

had to endure went too far and hindered the pursuit of happiness and liberty. The civil rights movement comes to mind and there are countless other "jokes" and dysfunctional ways and stupid regulations within laws in the past and present that need to be overcome.

I by no means compare the hardship of the civil rights movement to immigration today, the reason I brought it up is that to mention America and a joke in the same sentence is alright and to stand up and speak out and make it better is what is needed. Poop on complacency.

People that have died on our streets, not only in wars, to change what was once accepted by main stream America were no less patriotic. They shared the American vision.

I wholeheartedly can say that the broken legal immigration system in the USA is a joke....the only thing is noone is laughing as it is not funny.

I dare anyone who has been in AP for 17 months and then been denied only to be told you may without prejudice refile with a new fee to look me in the face and say that is not a joke. I dare anyone who has been on a 4 year visa journey with a top notch petition package and multiple trips

to tell me it is not a joke.

I dare anyone to explain to me why one location (VSC) reaffirms returned K1 cases and the other location (CSC) never does and lets it expire in a storage facility. Where is the logic when all service centers are under the mighty umbrella of the same USCIS agency ?

I dare anyone who had a CO that refused to issue a visa but emails and says "no you have not been refused but due to my gut feeling I can't issue the visa so I am returning the case to USCIS and let them review it " to get a clue and understand this is a freaking sick "joke".

I fought it and gave it all I got and contacted all I could and still they let it expire.

You don't think it is a joke ? Let me be very clear. IT IS A JOKE ! Right here in America. Period. Why ? Because some knucklehead

burocrat decides he wants to play king on the hill with the lives of the American people. Don't be a sheep and speak out and call it what it is instead of sticking your head in the sand like an ostrich and denying we have a joke of a system. It may work for some but it isn't working for all.

God bless America !

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Timeline

I know that the interchange of ideas is always positive, but please don't turn this into an endless argument where everyone wants to be right. We are all or most of all in the same path. Please, more support and understanding and less ego

Nina and Erwin, I'm just starting with my process and I can feel your pain. I pray everything turns out good to you and you can reunite with your family as soon as possib

YES i AGREE

DeWayne

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Sorry to hear your experience has now been what you wanted. We had the exact opposite experience. Everything was very fast a smooth. We went through the entire immigration process in a few months, basically with no problems. We are loving our new life in the US. Your experience is unfortunate, however I don't think it's descriptive of the system as a whole. Immigrating to a new country is not necessarily easy. I hope the rest of your journey will be easier. Cheer up, it's all gonna be alright!

Thank you.. I want to share with you that I am happy for you. My experience has been horrific at times.. but still I would never want to take away from the joy and happiness from anyone once it is over for them. I would like to find away to make it known.. that the immigration system is a joke.. lol. It is! Not the entire country.. I have never said that. I am sad to leave my home. But I made this choice.. I am fine with that. I just would like to see that it stops hurting people like this.

United_States.gifOur journeyBelgium.gif
07/01/2010 going to be parents
07/22/2010 ***MARRIED*** touched - sigh-
08/30/2010 deport
08/31/2010 Back in his country

03/08/2011 BABY GIRL !! 7 LBS 7 OZS ****NOW 2 1/2 YEARS OLD

Benefits office - IR-1

01/11/2013 I130 sent ***Starting over****
01/17/2013 I130 (priority date)
01/24/2013 NOA1
01/24/2013 I-130 NOA1 hardcopy received
02/25/2013 Case Transferred / received to Local office

03/25/2013 Case touched

07/11/2013 - News from Senator - interview possible - 7 months

08/09/2013 Correspondence - Interview set for sponsor
08/20/2013 Interview - 215 DAYS
08/20/2013 APPROVED!!!! - 215 DAYS
08/26/2013 NOA2 hard copy received

NVC
09/06/2013 NVC received the case

09/18/2013 Case# received, IIN received - sent to attorney
09/18/2013 I-864 AOS review fee ($88) online payment
09/23/2013 I-864 AOS status 'PAID',

xx/xx/20xx AOS package mailed out
09/18/2013 DS-260 IV fee ($230) online payment
09/23/2013 DS-260 IV status 'PAID', I

xx/xx/2013 IV package mailed out

XX/XX/201X NVC completion
Consulate - received xx/xx/201x -Hoping soon
XX/XX/201X Medical
XX/XX/201X Interview - CROSSING FINGERS

xx/xx/20xx I601/I212 - Approved
xx/xx/20xx Coming HOME!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.