NY_BX

New Jersey man falls into coma, wakes up in Poland: growing phenomenon in which uninsured immigrants are deported by U.S. hospitals

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

MedicalRepatriation.jpgIn March, Jacinto Rodrieguez found himself deported to Mexico after falling unconscious in an Iowa hospital. ( …Sixty-nine-year-old Wladyslaw Haniszewski had lived in the U.S. for about 30 years. But when the New Jersey resident fell into a coma he awoke to find himself in his native country of Poland.

The New York Daily News reports that Haniszewski fell victim to a growing phenomenon in which uninsured immigrants are deported by U.S. hospitals that do not want to get stuck paying for their treatment.

“Imagine being carted around like a sack of potatoes," said Polish Consul General Ewa Junczyk-Ziomecka, who argues that Haniszewski was placed on a chartered flight while still unconscious, never giving his consent to being shipped to a hospital in a country he had not lived in for decades.

The practice of medical repatriation has reportedly become increasingly common. One immigration advocacy group told The Associated Press in April that it has documented at least 800 cases of individuals being deported from hospitals without consent over the past six years in at least 15 states. However, the actual number is believed to be much higher because of the significant number of cases that go unreported.

"It really is a Catch-22 for us," Dr. Mark Purtle, vice president of Medical Affairs for Iowa Health System, said at the time. "This is the area that the federal government, the state, everybody says we're not paying for the undocumented."

There is an ongoing debate over the legality and morality of medical repatriation. Under U.S. law, hospitals are required to gain patient consent, from either the individual directly or an immediate family member, before having the individual deported. The federal government is not directly involved in the cases and does not pay for the cost of deportation. In April, "Colbert Report" host Stephen Colbert weighed in on the controversy, saying sarcastically, "It's totally unregulated, so hospitals avoid all the red tape usually involved in shipping the unconscious."

Haniszewski has reportedly fallen on hard times in recent years. Friends tell the Daily News that he recently lost his apartment and job, and was forced to relocate to a shelter.

The Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick is defending its actions, saying it took the necessary precautions before placing Haniszewski on an outbound flight.

“The individual was informed regarding his discharge plan and care,” said hospital spokesman Peter Haigney. “As the hospital's understanding of the facts differs from the published reports, we are conducting a thorough review of the procedures and communications surrounding this gentleman's care.”

However, Junczyk-Ziomecka contests the theory that Haniszewski consented to the move or was even informed of the decision. After all, he was still in a coma when he arrived in Poland and even now is unable to verbally communicate with hospital staff. He’s also estranged from his two daughters, who live in Poland.

"He can smile from time to time, but he is unable to communicate," Junczyk-Ziomecka told the Daily News.

“It’s an incredibly disturbing case,” Lori Nessel, director of the Center for Social Justice at Seton Hall University School of Law, told the Daily News. “This kind of action seems clearly illegal and also not ethical, but it’s hard to bring a legal action.”

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

None at the hospital.

As to the others - do ya think this illegal alien would actually be out and about with a highly infectious disease? I'm thinking no, instead he'd be wallowing in a bed somewhere, with another illegal alien caring for him/her.

Sure, it could snowball, with the contact - but by the time it does, the Center for Disease Control out of Atlanta would be on site and checking stuff.

I have no pity for illegal aliens anywhere in the CONUS.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

It's a small number, at the moment.

Remember - most illegal aliens get service at the emergency room at a hospital. They aren't turned away, for the most part.

Also, 'ethnic' clinics abound, this decade, and the illegal aliens know where to go to receive treatment.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Uh - really not sure illegal aliens only hang out with other illegal aliens. It's about a costs/benefits rationale, not necessarily about pity. In the case of infectious diseases, timing is crucial for effective containment. Early diagnosis can save all kinds of problems to the whole community. Following your example, it would also save the CDC or whoever involved in the containment a lot of money (= taxpayers' money!).

Seriously, there have to be smarter ways to counteract illegal immigration rather than turning hospitals in detention and deportation centers. I think it's in everyone's best interest.

Their consulates can foot the bill, start sending the bills to respective consulates.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Remember - most illegal aliens get service at the emergency room at a hospital. They aren't turned away, for the most part.

As far as I know, very poor people do it - regardless of their citizenship or immigration status. What I'm saying includes them all. Personally, I am for providing healthcare to everyone - for both ethical AND sanitary reasons.

- I am the beneficiary -

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

But was this man illegal? after 30 yrs...article did not say that...I think human to human its wrong

if he was legal paid SS & tax then fell on hard times and discarded like garbage by a hospital, if

he was unconscious how could they have talked to him...wow

Article does not state specifically if the person was undocumented.

"It really is a Catch-22 for us," Dr. Mark Purtle, vice president of Medical Affairs for Iowa Health System, said at the time. "This is the area that the federal government, the state, everybody says we're not paying for the undocumented."

If they are sending other undocumented aliens than its not a prob.

Most of these countries have embassy in US, send them the bills we are doing what their govt is supposed to do taking care of their citizens.

As far as I know, very poor people do it - regardless of their citizenship or immigration status. What I'm saying includes them all. Personally, I am for providing healthcare to everyone - for both ethical AND sanitary reasons.

Are your providing service free of charge or you billing the state for your services?

Filed: Timeline

Lots of un-insured USC in every state, but I don't think the US should foot the

medical bills of undocumented ppl however gunshots, stroke, heart attacks,&

wrecks administer critical care, contact the embassy of that person with a bill &

info on when & how they will land in their own countries after emergency treatment.

Boatload of Haitians landed in Jamaica last month, 36 were caught , all want to file

for asylum, they were given medical care, baskets of food for each & a few clothe items

and taken back to Haiti in 12 days. Things have become very hard worldwide but we

have to treat each other as humans

If they haven't been to their country in years I don't think the embassy would pay the bill although they can most certainly try to see if they will, worth a try.

I'm with deporting as long as the hospital has stabilized the person. I had an international student who got murdered here, hit and run. Her hospital bill was over $100,000. She had international insurance.

It's not fair to the rest who do everything they can to do things the right way. I say yaaaaa to the hospitals. Now they can apply to come back to the U.S. the right way.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Ooooh guys! A tough one! As I live in a country were our health care system is crippled daily by illegal immigrants, leaving the Citizens to suffer I totaly get the point. Hospitals placed in a very difficult situation!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

It does state he was undocumented. We need to draw the line at some point on illegal aliens, these are things they should consider when risking

going to another country illegally. Ethical , maybe not . It also isn't ethical to come to another country and use up their resources that legally belong to the people that pay in to it. I'm tired of high medical costs and overhead to cover the uninsured, this man seems he now needs 24hr assistance, his country should take care of him as a citizen not the U.S. He didn't get permission to enter the country , seems he was granted the same choice he gave our country, he doesn't need to give permission or notice to be deported.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.