31 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello everybody.

I am happy to find this forum and the wonderful people here who help each other.

First of All, I am non immigrant who moved to the US for study two years ago and I didn't have any problems at all with my Visa and status. I got my visa in three days. I was on J-1 and then changed my status to F-1 . Now, I would like to begin my journey to become an immigrant and apply for a GC ASAP.

I met my american girl friend while we were studying at the same university . We knew each other for one year and half and we fell in love. I met her parents and her family members several times and they are fine with our relationship. We have so many pictures and cards.

I don't think there are no red flags in our relationship, I am 26 , she is 22. I am a muslim and she is a convert to Islam, We knew each other for a long time.

Right now I live in North Carolina and she lives in Georgia. We would like to start filing for my GC. We are not married yet but we are planning to once we both get descent jobs then she can relocate to North carolina.

We are not living together right no as I mentioned. I may move for two weeks or she may move to work together on the paperwork.

How will we have the same address ? Should we write my address or her address ?

What else do we need to provide to prove conjugant living ?

I want to apply for Employment authorization document. How long will it take to get my EAD approved ?

Please reply if you have answers .

Thank you.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Salamu alaikum....Since you are already in the country you can get married and apply for Adjustment of Status. There are many guides to help you through this process. Good Luck! Click on the Guides link at the top of the VJ page and search for AOS.

I'm sure you will get many great informational responses.

She the USC will be the petitioner so you would use her address.

After your married and living together you can change your address (this will be required for proving a valid marriage).

When you apply for your AOS you will also apply for your EAD.

I hope this helps.

Ma'a Salama

Edited by True Love at Last

January 16, 2013 - I-129F Petition Sent USPS
January 22, 2013 - Petition Delivery Confirmed
January 25, 2013 - NOA1 Email and Text Confirmation
January 30, 2013 - "Touched" Alien Number Generated
January 31, 2013 - NOA1 Letter Received via "snail mail"
June 21, 2013 - Transferred from Vermont

July 6, 2013 - Actual Approval but error did not generate our NOA2

July 17, 2013 - Service Request via USCIS (6 months)

July 22, 2013 - Approval affirmed via USCIS.gov new NOA2 generated

August 2013 - NVC Case # Generated

August 28, 2013 - Packet 3 received from Cairo Embassy

September 2013 - Medical Complete

October 22, 2013 - Packet returned complete to Embassy via DHL

February 2014 - Interview letter received

March 24, 2014- Interview - EGYPT

April 4 & 7, 2014 - Case Touched Twice - Requested Expedite due to Beneficiary's Mothers Passing (4/1/14)

April 7, 2014 - Passport sent to Embassy via DHL

April 14, 2014 - VISA Received

April 18, 2014 - Flight to USA

July 11, 2014 - MARRIED!!!!

August ,2015 - AOS finally filed ;-)

August ,2015 - RFE

September 2015 - Returned RFE information

November ,2015 - EAD Approved

November ,2015 - EAD Received

December ,2015- AOS Approved

December ,2015- 2 year Green Card Received

November 13, 2016 my little brother passed away :-(

December ,2017 Lift conditions InshaAllah

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

You cannot Adjust Status until you are married which would also sort of imply living together...

They are muslim and cannot live together until they are married. No need to be rude. If you don't understand someone's religion you shouldn't reply.

January 16, 2013 - I-129F Petition Sent USPS
January 22, 2013 - Petition Delivery Confirmed
January 25, 2013 - NOA1 Email and Text Confirmation
January 30, 2013 - "Touched" Alien Number Generated
January 31, 2013 - NOA1 Letter Received via "snail mail"
June 21, 2013 - Transferred from Vermont

July 6, 2013 - Actual Approval but error did not generate our NOA2

July 17, 2013 - Service Request via USCIS (6 months)

July 22, 2013 - Approval affirmed via USCIS.gov new NOA2 generated

August 2013 - NVC Case # Generated

August 28, 2013 - Packet 3 received from Cairo Embassy

September 2013 - Medical Complete

October 22, 2013 - Packet returned complete to Embassy via DHL

February 2014 - Interview letter received

March 24, 2014- Interview - EGYPT

April 4 & 7, 2014 - Case Touched Twice - Requested Expedite due to Beneficiary's Mothers Passing (4/1/14)

April 7, 2014 - Passport sent to Embassy via DHL

April 14, 2014 - VISA Received

April 18, 2014 - Flight to USA

July 11, 2014 - MARRIED!!!!

August ,2015 - AOS finally filed ;-)

August ,2015 - RFE

September 2015 - Returned RFE information

November ,2015 - EAD Approved

November ,2015 - EAD Received

December ,2015- AOS Approved

December ,2015- 2 year Green Card Received

November 13, 2016 my little brother passed away :-(

December ,2017 Lift conditions InshaAllah

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

~ Moved from AOS Family Based to AOS Work, Student, & Tourist ~

You have to be married first. When you get married and are living together, follow this guide> http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

They are muslim and cannot live together until they are married. No need to be rude. If you don't understand someone's religion you shouldn't reply.

The person never said they had to live together before getting married. Get a grip.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Salamu alaikum....Since you are already in the country you can get married and apply for Adjustment of Status. There are many guides to help you through this process. Good Luck! Click on the Guides link at the top of the VJ page and search for AOS.

I'm sure you will get many great informational responses.

She the USC will be the petitioner so you would use her address.

After your married and living together you can change your address (this will be required for proving a valid marriage).

When you apply for your AOS you will also apply for your EAD.

I hope this helps.

Ma'a Salama

Walykom al salam.

Thank you for this information. It's helpful .

If we used her address in Georgia as her address and my address on the i-130 and i-485 forms. What about the fingerprints and the medical examination?

Do I have to travel to the local USCIS office in GA to get the fingerprints and the examination done ? or I can choose any office in NC ?

Will we say in the interview that we are currently living in different states? I need some advices .

Thank you

Timeline

You cannot Adjust Status until you are married which would also sort of imply living together...

We will marry and live together but not now. we still have to figure this out and she is trying to find a job in my state.

I am talking about filing the paperwork without living together at this time.

Timeline

Sorry guys if there was misunderstanding among members in this topic. May be I needed to verify that we are not living together in the same house because of religious beliefs and we are not stable financially. I need advices on how to make and file without living in the same address.

I apologize for the confusion.

Reply guys.

Thanks

You must be married before you can file the application.

Spouse-based AOS from out-of-status H-1B, May - Aug 2012

Removal of conditions, Aug - Nov 2014

Timeline

You must be married before you can file the application.

I understand , we will do the legal marriage i.e. the paperwork but not the real marriage . We will not be living together.

This is my question.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

I understand , we will do the legal marriage i.e. the paperwork but not the real marriage . We will not be living together.

This is my question.

Just to clarify: are you calling a courthouse marriage 'the paperwork'? For immigration purposes (and lawfully, in general), a courthouse marriage would be considered the real marriage.

I think not living together will raise suspicions. Really solid proof of co-mingling of finances (might be difficult, since you are still students) and regular travels to see each other could help prove bonafide, but in the end it will be up to the IO to decide. Good luck.

Edited by a+j

- I am the beneficiary -

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Once you begin filing your paperwork, you really MUST be living together.

It's one of the biggest pieces of evidence of a real marriage and it's seriously looked at because it's a HUGE red flag of marriage fraud.

There's no reason for you not to UNLESS you have some extenuating circumstances.

For instance, I recently read a thread where someone is in on a work visa and his wife is at school or work or something a few hours away.

So, they live in separate places, but he's REQUIRED to work at that business to be able to stay in the US so it makes perfect sense that they haven't been able to live together yet since he cannot relocate.

Like a+j said, it's unclear if you're calling a quicky US wedding 'paperwork' but that is a REAL marriage.

You're REALLY married in the US' eyes and you should be living together.

HOWEVER, that's not to say that they wouldn't accept that you didn't want to live together until you had your big customary wedding.

HOWEVER AGAIN, I don't know if that would simply be looked at as "marriage fraud" either considering you, literally in the sense, want to get "US" married just so you can file the paperwork and get a green card.........

No one can know for sure how immigration will look at that but I personally look at it like the second one.

Just please understand that you must get legally married.

Whether that means doing it at the court house, in a church, or from an ordained friend.

You must be actually married. And provide a real genuine marriage certificate.

oldlady.gif

This is my question.

Why aren't you doing the "real marriage" now?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.