EndlessStory

My case, need help

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Been thinking about this a long time myself but I truly just love him for his character.

I will be working once I graduate. I worked before continue schooling and get paid $20k a year without finishing my degree.

What do you suggest for us to do now?

You will not be able to work right away with the K-1 and your income is not counted for the affidavit of support. You must file for AOS after marriage, which has a fee of $1070. He will need to provide the I-864 and will need to have filed his back taxes. You will file for EAD/AP with the AOS and it takes about 3 months to receive after filing. Once you have the EAD, you can start working. Nothing can really happen until he files his taxes and is in a position to support you when you move to the US to marry.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

You will not be able to work right away with the K-1 and your income is not counted for the affidavit of support. You must file for AOS after marriage, which has a fee of $1070. He will need to provide the I-864 and will need to have filed his back taxes. You will file for EAD/AP with the AOS and it takes about 3 months to receive after filing. Once you have the EAD, you can start working. Nothing can really happen until he files his taxes and is in a position to support you when you move to the US to marry.

If he were to file 3 years taxes now, how heavy would the penalty be? Does it need to be above poverty line for 3 years taxes too? For I-864.

I guess we have no choice but to file 3 years taxes. Will it affect us if he owes 20k on child support?

By the way, he is not married. He just did something wrong when he was young. I am not gonna bring the issue up because I am only looking for solve it.

Issues are already there

-I am the Beneficiary-
event.png

K1 (I-129F) petition filed in August 2013 (Approved Feb 20th 2014)
13th May 2014: AOS (I-485) & EAD/AP combo card
21st May 2014: NOA 1 and biometric letter
11th June 2014: biometric appointment
13th June 2014: RFE received via mail
16th June 2014: replied to RFE
6th August 2014: EAD Approved, AP still in initial review
12th August 2014: got tracking number for EAD
( ) August 2014: Received EAD (I forgot what date I got them but I did receive them less than 5 days from the 12th)
10th September 2014: Interview Waiver received (I wished I was interviewed)
April 23, 2015, we registered your permanent resident status and mailed you a Welcome Notice

Filed: Other Timeline

Child support will be an issue....the CO will think if he cant support his

child from his loins ...how can he a stranger, the US govt. will want to

see a payment plan and him paying them some money first...don't you

realize he works under the table so he does not have to pay child

support, he file no taxes as the govt will take any returns & garnish some

of his wages....great character huh?....not dumping on U hon just stating

the facts, the child maybe on AFDC & he plays hide & go seek....people

who are new lovers stay on their best behaviors, if you get pregnant when

you both split ...he'll quit your child too...wake up & smell the coffee.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Like others have posted, the back child support and not filing taxes for 3 years is going to be a big problem. He will need to pay his taxes and at least start paying on the back child support. If he can't be bothered to support his own child and hasn't paid taxes for 3 years that's a big red flag, imo.

Edited by jen_vb
K1 Timeline:

01/24/2013 - Sent I129F overnight to TX lockbox

01/28/2013 - NOA1

05/15/2013 - NOA2

05/28/2013 - Received at NVC

05/29/2013 - Sent to Consulate

05/31/2013 - Received at Consulate

06/01/2013 - Packet 3 Received

06/05/2013 - Packet 3 Sent

06/08/2013 - Packet 4 Received

06/18/2013 - Medical

07/16/2013 - Interview Date

07/20/2013 - Visa Received

07/25/2013 - POE

AOS Timeline:

03/16/2014 - Package sent

03/21/2014 - NOA1 for AP & EAD

03/25/2014 - NOA1 for AOS

04/15/2014 - Biometrics appointment

He has been paying like $300 a month for a few years now. Like I said he did a mistake back then and that girl cheated about the kid isn't his. It is simply not his issue. He has no idea about the kid till he is a couple of years old.

It is the compound interest from the child support that makes him reach that amount. He is still paying monthly now. We only have tax issues now

-I am the Beneficiary-
event.png

( ) August 2014: Received EAD (I forgot what date I got them but I did receive them less than 5 days from the 12th)
April 23, 2015, we registered your permanent resident status and mailed you a Welcome Notice

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If he was getting paid in cash then most likely he never received a W-2....and without a W-2 to prove you had an income you can't file a tax return. I have no idea how he would be able to file for 3 years without any proof that he had an income. But I am not a tax expert so maybe someone with more knowledge of the subject can help

Your friendly neighborhood post office expert

Can he ask employer for the w2 forms? If you guys want to know what he is working as.. He is a cab driver. He works according to commission. He doesn't have a fix pay. How can we file tax for this? I think that he doesn't even need to pay tax from all the relief but its truly his fault that he doesn't even file for it. Please help

-I am the Beneficiary-
event.png

Sounds like trouble. Not paying taxes or child support, I hope you are ready for a tough life ahead. The government will eventually catch up to him. And by him petitioning you, they will find him. Hope he's ready to get all his responsibility that he's ignored for years.

Fernando & Michelle

12/05/2011 - Mailed I-129F
12/09/2011 - Received NOA1
12/21/2011 - Last updated by USCIS
04/12/2012 - Approved!
05/08/2012 - NVC received
05/09/2012 - Left NVC
05/14/2012 - Received at Consulate
06/25/2012 - Interview at Consulate, APPROVED!!!!
07/07/2012 - POE at JFK, easy.

09/28/2012 - Mailed I-485
11/09/2012 - Appointment for Biometrics
12/08/2012 - EAD and AP Card arrived in mail. No updates to USCIS website.
07/26/2013 - Approved, no interview.

04/30/2015 - Mailed I-751

06/03/2015 - Appointment for Biometrics

02/29/2016 - Approved, no interview.

03/14/2016 - Received 10-year Card

I'm sorry and I don't mean any offense but it sounds to me like you are considering marrying a dead beat dad. My guess is he is working for cash (which by the way is a violation of United States Tax Code and possibly a felony punishable by prison.) I also find it very odd that only 1 picture was taken in 6 months. Could this be because he does not want to document the relationship he has with you? If I were you I would ask myself if I want to marry someone who is hiding from the law by working for cash so he does not have to pay child support. What makes you think he won't do something similar to you in the future? And why did he not bring you to the US on a fiance visa and/or why did he not propose marriage until you had returned to your home country? More questions. How will he provide for you and your children if you have any if he is not reporting his income, paying social security and contributing to a retirement fund for your golden years together? Do you understand that if he ever intends to work a legitimate job ever again the child support people will certainly catch up with him and the amount he owes will continue to go up and up and will never be discharged even in the event of him filing bankruptcy? And do you really want to marry a dead beat dad, if that's what he is? If he owes 20,000 he has not paid for a long time. If nothing else is that not morally wrong? Is there anything worse than a parent who fails to take care of their child? I would say it is a blessing that you have not filed those papers yet. I think you already have your own suspicions and your own doubts and you have not filed because of these. Maybe you need to listen to your instincts? Sorry, and I hope I am wrong but something smells fishy here. In any event I wish you the best. And again I am sorry if I offended you or anyone else, I am just looking at this from the outside and well....???

I am the beneficiary

We met online through a game in December 2010.

We started dating in Feb 2011. I travel to U.S in Aug 2012 and live with him till Jan 2013 (6 months)

I have a couple of family dinner with him like thanksgiving, christmas and stuff but we only ever take 1 photo!! Didn't think photos are all that important as long as we are together.

We got engaged through phone calls in Feb 2013 shortly after I left U.S.

I am back in my home country to continue schooling and now we decided that I move to U.S. and live with him.

A few problems with us:

- My fiance is working a cash job. His pay is not trackable and he doesn't file taxes. He has a child support. His son doesnt stay with him but he owes child support like $20k. How are we going to do our I-134 Affidavit of Support?

- We only ever took 1 picture when we are living together for 6 months. How do I proof our relationship?

- What are our chances?

I worry day and night about this and I am still holding onto our I-129F forms and haven't started filing yet. We are planning to get married next year once my visa gets approved.

Can our fellow VJ-er help me with my case or anyone that has the same case with me?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

It's been a few posts discussing the past child support, but has anyone heard of any case in which someone is denied a Visa for child support? Yes, it is bad....we all know that! I believe the poster is satisfied that he was not at fault with the child support.

But, I agree with the other poster, I believe the tax issue will be the critical issue to generate a denial, not the child support. Most Embassies clearly require the last tax record, without exception, thus, guaranteed denial without it.

Edited by mrrobj

If he were to file 3 years taxes now, how heavy would the penalty be? Does it need to be above poverty line for 3 years taxes too? For I-864.

I guess we have no choice but to file 3 years taxes. Will it affect us if he owes 20k on child support?

By the way, he is not married. He just did something wrong when he was young. I am not gonna bring the issue up because I am only looking for solve it.

Issues are already there

As I understand it US Citizens are required to file taxes every year EVEN IF THEY DON'T OWE ANY TAXES. And not only the last three years. He might have to go back and file for more years. When was the last time he filed taxes? I hate to rain on your parade but I think you are in for a world of hurt if you come to the US for this "man". As another VJ'er said, Wake up and smell the coffee. I mean are you going to come to the US to support this guy who has not supported his own child? I think you should trust those instincts that have caused you to delay in filing your forms. I tink you know deep down inside that something is not right here. Like I said earlier, I hope I am wrong but there are just so many red flags here. Trust your instincts. Good luck

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I don't want to be mean but when we talk about the US embassy people the only thing that comes into my mind is " no trust" they don' t trust in anybody and putting myself in yheir shoes they will see that your case sounds fishy and will get to the conclusion " he is in need of money, you went to the US you met him and both get into an agreement that you will pay him a big amount of money for both of you getting married" ( that have happen so much)

I am sure they eill think that's one of the reasons. Don't send any papers yet till you have it all clear and..... After you think more about it..... About your future.

Good luck

January 13, 2012 - Start talking
June 20, 2012 - Visit 1
September 21, 2012 - Visit 2
December 31, 2012 - Visit 3
February 20, 2013 - Visit 4 (proposal the 24th)
April 15, 2013 - Package sent
April 18, 2013 - NOA1
May 30, 2013 - Visit 5
August 22, 2013 - Visit 6
August 29, 2013 - RFE
October 4, 2013 - NOA2 (after 5 months 2 weeks 2 days)
October 9, 2013 - NOA2 Hard Copy
November 8, 2013 - NVC case number (after 5 weeks)
November 15, 2013 - Embassy in Lima received the case
November 29, 2013 - Visit 7
January 3, 2014 - Visit 8
January 6, 2014 - INTERVIEW APPROVEDJanuary 11, 2014 - Visa in hand
May 1, 2014 - Visit 9
May 4, 2014 - POE
June 24, 2014 - MARRIED :star:
July 29, 2014 - Sent AOS
August 6, 2014 - NOA1
September 4, 2014 - Biometrics

October 17, 2014 - Travel&Work permit Approved

December 3, 2014 - AOS INTERVIEW - APPROVED

December 11, 2014 - Green Card in hand

September 7, 2016 - ROC sent

September 12, 2016 - NOA1
October 18, 2016 - Biometrics

October 17, 2019 - I-797C received

November 15, 2019 - Biometrics 

October 6, 2020 - Interview

November 18, 2020 - Naturalization ceremony
Ju44m5.png

8Hm5m5.png

lpi8m5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Issues are already there

Child support is not an issue with his filing taxes and won't be a reason to deny your visa either. Debts are not part of the affidavit of support. He may owe penalties and interest on any taxes he owes. He should consult an accountant.

If he was getting paid in cash then most likely he never received a W-2....and without a W-2 to prove you had an income you can't file a tax return. I have no idea how he would be able to file for 3 years without any proof that he had an income. But I am not a tax expert so maybe someone with more knowledge of the subject can help

MANY people do not have an employer and file taxes each year without a W-2. This is a non-issue.

Can he ask employer for the w2 forms? If you guys want to know what he is working as.. He is a cab driver. He works according to commission. He doesn't have a fix pay. How can we file tax for this? I think that he doesn't even need to pay tax from all the relief but its truly his fault that he doesn't even file for it. Please help

As an employee, he should have already been getting a W-2. He is paid 'under the table' in cash so that the employer does not have to deal with the taxes and file the information with the IRS. I seriously doubt they will offer up a W-2 now. What they have been doing is not legal. It is illegal for the employer to pay in cash without having the taxes taken out, and it is illegal for an employee not to claim income and file taxes. He can file taxes without a W-2 or a 1099(from self-employment). He has not been paying his taxes. He will definitely owe back taxes and penalties for not filing when he should have.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Timeline

R U aware if you do marry this man & by some miracle

make it to the US you will jointly owe back taxes and

child support?, your credit will be ziltch, now, only one

person have posted here about child support about 2 mths

ago, he was making payments but could not obtain a PP yet

and he could not afford a fiancé, so he was thinking of

chucking the relationship. As one person says this red-flag

may appear to be a business marriage, dude like that don't

take care of his kid will sell a marriage it seem , sorry

but the BS of putting the blame on the girl to you makes

him seem like a mouse not a man, even if she cheated its his

baby he should do the right thing, he wants you over to help

him with his financial load.

Thank you for all the reply and support from everyone. Appreciate the concern and highlights that I have not thought of. We mention about paying his entire child support and for him to move with me here but he doesn't want my money.

I miss out a couple of things about child support but I don't want to keep defending him while all the vj-er think he is not the guy for me.

We will discuss about all the issues ourselves, once again thank you for the support and words that wake me/us that this journey is hard for us.

P.s. we are still filling the visa

I am still open up for more comments/suggestions.

Edited by Janice&Micah
-I am the Beneficiary-
event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.