archit_k

process of getting married and getting a green card.

35 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I am on F1 visa which expires in 2015, but i am going to be done with collage by 2014 July. We are getting married in July 2013, and we are getting married in city hall so it will be a legal marriage.

Do i need to do anything before getting married, and what paper work do i need to do so i can obtain a green card. I read that i can't travel for sometime, when i am in the process of getting a green card. I need to travel out of the country in January, is there anything i can do so i can enter back with out any problems.

How much does it cost, because i don't have job and my soon be wife just got done with school and is looking for a job.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

It costs $1490 to file the paperwork you require. Not including the medical that you need to get done.

You can apply for advanced parole (AP) at the same time (free with AOS) and it will take 60-90 days to get that which allows you to travel. The work permit (EAD) you should also apply for, also free, that also takes 60-90 days.

She (or someone else willing to sponsor) needs to earn enough for their household size including you. That's a MINIMUM of $19K a year.

Also no. You cannot leave the US and re-enter if you haven't already filed for AOS. It would be entering with intent to remain on a non-immigrant visa, which is illegal. You MUST file for AOS before you leave and you MUST wait for AP otherwise you abandon the process. Otherwise you need a spousal visa and need to process it outside the US.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Nothing to do before getting married. Once married, your wife will have to file a I-130 petition for you. It costs $420.

You can send at the same time a packet containing applications I-485 (adjustment of status, green card), I-765 (work authorization, EAD) and I-131 (travel authorization), and other forms but that's the main ones. It costs $1070.

EAD and AP will be approved in 2-3 months. Once you have your AP, you can travel out of the country.

Follow this guide for more details: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

And browse the USCIS website, there are all the instructions. :)

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Timeline

Does the sponsor have to be family member, or does a friend work.

If she were to get a job next month and will make enough money to be my sponsor, how will i prove that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

and i were to get married and not apply for all this paper work, would give me trouble coming back into us with my F1 visa

You could be refused entry so yes it could give you trouble. it is ILLEGAL to enter with intent to AOS. The fact you have already decided means that you would have intent and would be breaking the law. You need to file before you leave, get AP and intent won't be an issue.

how to show that my sponsor makes the minimum annual requirements.

IRS tax return transcripts: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Order-a-Transcript

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Timeline
So after getting married and getting the marrige certificate.

I will need to file;

1. I-485 (AOS and Green Card)

2. I-765 (Work Authorization, EAD) which is optional. What does the EAD stand for?

3. I-131 (Travel Authorization) is that same as AP

4. I-130 what is this petition for?

Does the sponsor have to be a family member or does a friend work.

What other forms are there to file?

And thank you all very very much for the help.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Just take a look at the USCIS website, all your answers are there:

I-765: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=73ddd59cb7a5d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

I-131: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=b11747a55773d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD Advance Parole is a particular travel authorization.

EAD and AP are optional, but I highly encourage you to file for them. They are free when filed with AOS,.

I-130: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=c67c7f9ded54d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD It's a petition for an alien relative

Complete checklist of what you need to send: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

But if you read each instructions for each form, it will say what to include. Each form requires some additional documents, like birth certificate, etc... so read the USCIS instructions carefully.

Edited by didopage

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

I am sorry but i didn't get what you just wrote.

That was simply the moderator informing you/us that the topic has been moved to a different subforum. :)

flying.gif 2006 - met online  | 2008 - met IRL  | 2011 - engagement  | 2012 - wedding | 2013 - IR-1 | 2014 - child | 2015 - POE | 2018 - N-400  |  2019 - USC 

Check my About me for the full IR-1 or N-400 timeline.

Your wife must be the primary sponsor. If she has just got a new job, she can show a pay stub and a letter from her employer as evidence of her new wage. If you are working part-time on campus you can include that income along with hers. If that combination is not enough to meet the requirement, you additionally need a joint sponsor. The joint sponsor can be any US citizen or permanent resident. They must be able to show via tax returns/transcripts and/or pay stubs that they earn more than a *higher* threshold, i.e. the poverty limit for the size of their household plus you.

Spouse-based AOS from out-of-status H-1B, May - Aug 2012

Removal of conditions, Aug - Nov 2014

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.