cardilene

US-Philippine Passport - Dual Citizenship

15 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is actually very new to me, my wife and our 2 teenager kids became USC,

they already have their US passports on hand, and they still have their Philippine Passports with them,...

If they decide to travel back to the Philippines, let's say for a month, just for a short vacation,

what passport should they use, or should we have to apply for dual citizenhip for them,..?

Hope you can share your experiences,... Like admission and questions in the POE in the Philippines,...

Thank you and regards,...

PD ~ June 18, 2009

IMMIGRANT VISA APPROVED ~ March 15, 2012

VISA ON HAND ~ March 21, 2012

TOUCHDOWN California ~ April 8, 2012

GREEN CARD ON HAND ~ April 27, 2012

DMV Written ~ May 1, 2012 (passed TAKE 1)

DMV Actual ~ May 21, 2012 (passed TAKE 1)

California Driver's License ON HAND - June 11, 2012

Federal law requires US citizens to enter and exit the US on an American passport. There are no exit controls though, so in all likelihood that will not be an issue.

In general it's best practice, if you are a dual citizen of both countries, to enter country A on country A's passport and country B on country B's passport.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

they already have their US passports on hand, and they still have their Philippine Passports with them,...

If they decide to travel back to the Philippines, let's say for a month, just for a short vacation,

what passport should they use, or should we have to apply for dual citizenhip for them,..?

Hope you can share your experiences,... Like admission and questions in the POE in the Philippines,...

As USC they have to travel to and from the USA with a U.S. passport. Even if they are dual citizens... always the U.S. passport.

Bring the Philippine passport for extended stays ... but it won't be used for travel.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The general rule is that whatever passport you enter on, you leave on. If they are staying more than 21 days, I'd have them enter Ph on their Philippiens passports, and then leave on those passports. As other have noted, they must use their US passports to leave and enter the US

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

They need to re-apply for their Philippine citizenship as they "lost it" when they became USCs.

From other posts on the subject, it appears to be a simple, "fill in this form pay this fee" process.

See here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/234879-dual-citizenship-and-passport-renewal/

And here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/329865-filipinos-who-naturalized/

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

Thank you for all the replies,...

Quite enlightening,...

Cheers all,...

PD ~ June 18, 2009

Use the U.S. passports going both ways. If you are planning to stay in 'pinas for more than 21 days, when you arrive at NAIA, just tell the Philippines customs officer that you want to avail yourselves of the balikbayan privilege. He'll stamp your U.S. passport and mark the stamp valid for one year.

Chinook and I went to 'pinas on U.S. passports in January and we didn't even have to ask for the balikbayan privilege. The Filipino customs officer automatically gave it to us.

Filed: Timeline

If the Philippine passport is still valid bring both the US passport and Philippine passport with you. Present the US passport upon entry and exit to/from the United States.

Present BOTH the Philippine passport and the US passport upon entry and exit to/from the Philippines.

My husband has been doing this all his life. He was born in the US (thus making him a citizen to Filipino parents, also making him filipino).

Renewing your wife's Filipino passport is another story though. She first has to apply for dual citizenship at the nearest Phil consulate.

The general rule is that whatever passport you enter on, you leave on. If they are staying more than 21 days, I'd have them enter Ph on their Philippiens passports, and then leave on those passports. As other have noted, they must use their US passports to leave and enter the US

I have issues with this statement.

No one can leave the Philipines for the US unless they have a visa or a US passport. You can exit the US on any passport you want.

If you enter the Philippines on a Philippine passport and try to leave on it you will be questions as to where your visa is to gain access to the US.

I know this as we did this exact thing.

When entering, we showed my daughters Philippine passport and when we exited on the US passport, we were questioned as to where the entrance stamps were on the US passport.

When I produced her Philippine passport, all was good but we were sternly lectured on the requirement to produce BOTH passports when entering the Philippines so that BOTH passports can be stamped.

Once we got to the US we just used her US passport and had no questions asked.

-Phil

Edited by PhiLandShiR

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

Timeline

If the Philippine passport is still valid bring both the US passport and Philippine passport with you. Present the US passport upon entry and exit to/from the United States.

Present BOTH the Philippine passport and the US passport upon entry and exit to/from the Philippines.

My husband has been doing this all his life. He was born in the US (thus making him a citizen to Filipino parents, also making him filipino).

Renewing your wife's Filipino passport is another story though. She first has to apply for dual citizenship at the nearest Phil consulate.

Ahhhh this is much clearer,...

Thank you sir,...

PD ~ June 18, 2009

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

This just arrived from the mail today,.... YES,..!

photo1-3_zps73dae5ed.jpg

PD ~ June 18, 2009

My advice is to depart and enter the USA on their USA passport and enter and depart the Philippines on their Philippine passport. That is what My wife and son do. he is a dual citizenand so is my wife.

• 9 months later...

what if you have only US Passport to go to the Philippines? and you want to get your dual citizen and Passport in the Philippines? What are you gonna say to the immigration if you enter in the Philippines?

Edited by donskee11

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.