harvard

Having a non-legally binding wedding before the K1 visa is processed

68 posts in this topic

I just don't understand why anyone would chance it with anything that could be construed in the slightest way as marriage. Remember that these are government employees we are talking about. Dedicated I am sure, but probably not the brightest bulbs in the box or they'd be in private industry. If you need a big event just have a big family picnic. Anything else and you are just giving some underpaid lackey the ammunition he needs.

Yeah, but your POV is from the consulate in Russia, where they give a higher scrutiny due to higher likelihood of fraud. Likely the person won't do any research at all on the person. David was asked no questions at the front desk. All he did was give them his papers, did some stamps, and basically left. The only thing that went wrong is that no one asked him to pay for the visa, so he had to do that a couple of weeks later.

Edited by Justine+David

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Yeah, but your POV is from the consulate in Russia, where they give a higher scrutiny due to higher likelihood of fraud. Likely the person won't do any research at all on the person. David was asked no questions at the front desk. All he did was give them his papers, did some stamps, and basically left. The only thing that went wrong is that no one asked him to pay for the visa, so he had to do that a couple of weeks later.

But if they did check, and maybe they check one in a hundred or one in a thousand, who knows, then even if your fiancee has to sit in front of the officer and explain all about how it wasn't real, just for family, do you really want to have to jump that extra hurdle? These guys are government employees and maybe you get the one who really doesn't understand the difference, or maybe just having a bad day. So even if you are coming from Canada, why take the chance? Have an informal family barbecue that accomplishes exactly what you are trying to accomplish without the risk, even if that risk is 1%.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Also, I checked all those threads that were referenced earlier in this conversation, and it seems almost all of them were from India. Does anyone know of consulates in any other countries who've offered these denials? For what it's worth, I just emailed the Jakarta embassy my "what-if" scenario, and when I get an answer, I'll update this thread.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

So while this may really only be relevant to filers dealing with Jakarta, but I did receive an email back from the Consulate there:

"Thank you for your email.

You can have a family celebration here in Indonesia. Do not register this ceremony to the KUA or Civil registry Office. If you do so, your fiancé will not eligible for a K-1 visa status.

Regards,
IMMIGRANT VISA UNIT
Embassy of the United States of America I Jalan Medan Merdeka Selatan #5 I Jakarta 10110 I Indonesia
Email: JakIV@state.gov I Fax +62 (21) 385-7189 I internet: http://jakarta.usembassy.gov"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Im already in the country on the visa waiver. At the port of entry I had no intent to marry during this trip, I naively thought the visa would come through in time and that I would go back to the UK then re-enter on the K1. They questioned me at port of entry and were satisfied.

Does anyone actually know of anyone who has been denied the K1 on the grounds of already being married, when there has been no legally binding event or record to point to? In my mind I would just argue that I haven't had a marriage yet, and that I plan to when I enter the USA. Which would all be true.

You don't need a legally binding event with the government. But I do know a couple cases. . With Chinese fiancées. Its common to have big wedding family ceremonies. They aren't legally binding. But Chinese consider it the wedding. And including the wrong photo of the party which is a wedding reception . With a wedding sign on the wall. Or a guest book that says wedding. Even though you want to be married in the US. Guarantees denial. Even though the legal wedding did not take place. You risk having to start all over , because you don't want to inconvenience guest. My fiancée wouldn't accept this.

I know of one person who has about 300 photos he was going to put in his 129F . His attorney allowed 7!! He said the rest show a wedding happened. He picked out things like rings being worn. signs. wedding flowers on a table. luck money envelopes. The way people dressed. Even the drinks served. The hotel is known for doing numerous weddings daily. You should be on the ball. and on the same page. As to what you say and do. Me personally. its not worth the risk. I paid hell telling my fiancée I forgot the K1 129F photos. And it probably cost me two months. Let alone starting all over.

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Just for every one's information. I called the US embassy in London and spoke to a representative who said it was fine to have a celebration so long as it was not recognized legally.

The only thing people should be careful about is the common law marriage.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Just for every one's information. I called the US embassy in London and spoke to a representative who said it was fine to have a celebration so long as it was not recognized legally.

The only thing people should be careful about is the common law marriage.

I'm happy you heard what you wanted to hear. It's your life that you're messing with, not ours so the choice is yours. Just try and remember every time someone who SHOULD know something has told you something totally false. YOU will pay the price, not them.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I'm happy you heard what you wanted to hear. It's your life that you're messing with, not ours so the choice is yours. Just try and remember every time someone who SHOULD know something has told you something totally false. YOU will pay the price, not them.

Where's the +1,000 button?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.