harvard

Having a non-legally binding wedding before the K1 visa is processed

68 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Is it okay to have an ecclesiastical (Church) wedding ceremony in the USA on the VWP visitors visa before the K1 visa has been processed? What are the risks involved at the consulate interview? Will this cause problems when I go for AOS?

Timeline

I don't know of a church in the US that would do a pretend religious wedding that wasn't also legally binding.

A pastor from the PCA is willing to perform our marriage ceremony on the understanding that once I have re-entered the USA on the K1 we will apply for a marriage licence and have him sign it. The delay will be around 2/3 months between ecclesiastical ceremony and legally binding paperwork filled in.

Filed: Timeline

Is it okay to have an ecclesiastical (Church) wedding ceremony in the USA on the VWP visitors visa before the K1 visa has been processed? What are the risks involved at the consulate interview? Will this cause problems when I go for AOS?

This is super risky. I wouldn't do it if I were you.

What would Xenu do?

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

As long as its not legally binding and you don't mention it.... don't put up pics on fb etc how would they find out? Its a grey area avoid it if u can but if not don't publicise it and tell ur family members the same if its nt legally binding its not registered

Timeline

Neither me or my fiance will be on FB during my interview. The only reason I'm asking is (and I'm sure it happens to many others) that many family and friends have already booked flights, booked time off work etc to make the ecclesiastical ceremony. It would cost a lot to postpone the wedding. When we filed, we had advice it would take 5/6 months, but it's more like 8/9 months.

Neither me or my fiance will be on FB during my interview. The only reason I'm asking is (and I'm sure it happens to many others) that many family and friends have already booked flights, booked time off work etc to make the ecclesiastical ceremony. It would cost a lot to postpone the wedding. When we filed, we had advice it would take 5/6 months, but it's more like 8/9 months.

You're right, it has happened to many others, which is why the VJ K-1 forum mantra is: Don't make plans until the visa is in your hands!

I'm not sure where you got the advice on how long it would take to get the actual visa, but 5-6 months is way off. It takes on average that long (and longer it seems from recent posts) to get the I-129F petition approved. Then, it's another 2 1/2-3 months to get an interview with London.

I would highly suggest contacting the vendors and seeing if they can postpone to a future date that's far in the future. Or, follow my other post upthread and ditch the K-1 path and go for the spousal visa.

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

This is a really bad idea. U need to forget this thought and wait for ur real wedding or abandon ur k1 and get married and apply for a spousal visa. Any sniff of a wedding or what looks like a wedding and you will get a big fat NO.

Is it worth it?

Our Story AoS
[March 2012] Met online on Christian Mingle [November 27th 2013] AoS sent
[June 25th 2012] Met in Person in London!
[August 2012] Steve visits me again in the Uk for our second meeting for just one weekend! [March 6th 2014] AoS Interview - Passed
[september 2012] My first trip to America to visit the love of my life
[November 2012] I travel to America for my first ever thanksgiving with Steves family!
[December 2012] Steve comes to the Uk to spend xmas with my family!
( heart.gif February 15th 2013 heart.gif ) He pops the question in Kensington, London...and I say yes!

K1

[January 15th 2013) I-129f SENT!
[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)
[July 18th 2013] Case forwarded to NVC

[July 26th 2013] We call DoS and are finally given our case # - I book medical immediatly

[July 29th 2013] Case forwarded to US Embassy, London
[August 8th 2013] Packet 3 sent (before received)

[August 9th 2013] Packet 3 received
[August 13th 2013] Medical

[August 16th 2013] CEAC updates - London logs my medical results

[August 20th 2013] - CEAC update - London logs my packet 3

[August 23rd 2013] I call DoS and they tell me my interview date, (2 weeks since I sent ds-2001)

[August 27th 2013 CEAC update - London dispatches packet 4]

[August 29th 2013] Packet 4 received
[september 24th 2013] Interview -
Refused due to passport and birth certificate condition

[september 26th 2013] Emergency appt at HM Passport Office London - New Passport and Birth Certificate in hand
[september 30th 2013] DX collects passport and birth certificate

[October 3rd] - Docs delivered to Embassy

[October 10th] - London Approves and Issues our Visa!!

[October 16th 2013] 4.00pm - Visa in my hand, 11pm POE -Newark

[October 27th 2013] Wedding wub.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

So at the border, are you telling them you're having a wedding and that's why you're entering? You would most likely be denied entry.

What if they decide to deny you entry anyway?

And the pastor is willing to not sign the documents till later, so what date is he putting on the certificate? It would be a lie (fraud) to put any date except the one that you were actually married on, but putting that date will have you in more trouble for getting married before the K1.

You either just have fake church wedding, NO paperwork completed and then get legally married in a court house, or have another legal church ceremony, or wait all together and just have the one ceremony after your approval, or have the legal wedding and then switch to CR-1.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uzbekistan
Timeline

This topics comes up time to time, and I just want to say that this is probably the most risky question for no benefit. Yes all family want to enjoy the ceremony and sometimes it is hard to get everyone together. Wouldn't it be a shame to do that beautiful ceremony only to get denied your visa later?

Timeline

So at the border, are you telling them you're having a wedding and that's why you're entering? You would most likely be denied entry.

What if they decide to deny you entry anyway?

And the pastor is willing to not sign the documents till later, so what date is he putting on the certificate? It would be a lie (fraud) to put any date except the one that you were actually married on, but putting that date will have you in more trouble for getting married before the K1.

You either just have fake church wedding, NO paperwork completed and then get legally married in a court house, or have another legal church ceremony, or wait all together and just have the one ceremony after your approval, or have the legal wedding and then switch to CR-1.

Im already in the country on the visa waiver. At the port of entry I had no intent to marry during this trip, I naively thought the visa would come through in time and that I would go back to the UK then re-enter on the K1. They questioned me at port of entry and were satisfied.

Does anyone actually know of anyone who has been denied the K1 on the grounds of already being married, when there has been no legally binding event or record to point to? In my mind I would just argue that I haven't had a marriage yet, and that I plan to when I enter the USA. Which would all be true.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If you marry , leave, get a K1 and return ( especially if you marry in the US ) They will eventually figure out you entered illegally ( on a visa you were no longer qualified to recieve based on being married already ) They will at that point revoke all immigration benefits that you have gained after entering invalidly. NEVER lie to immigration. If you want to get married , do so , cancel the K1 and file for a Cr1 ( start all over )

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.