John P

Advanced Parole AP/EAD COMBO Card Restrictions

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I had a few questions on the restrictions of the AP/EAD combo card. When I initial filled out the application for the AP card I stated it would be used to travel back and forth to visit family. I have the AP card now and have used it one time to go back to my Country.

When I received this card it did not stat any restrictions on the amount of time that I could spend outside the country. It also did not stat and limitations on where I could travel in the world.

My two questions are as follows:

Is there a maximum amount of day you can be outside the US with the AP/EAD Combo card, while the permanent resident I485 is being processed?

Can I travel to another country that I did not list on the original application for the AP Card? My husband will be working overseas for a few months and we want to know if I will be able to live with him traveling on my AP card.

Another note even though there is a weath of knowledge and many opions on this fourm is there some place to reference the actaul rules from the USCIS on the AP card usage?

My AOS is in progress and currently almost 9 months waiting with no action.

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

When I received this card it did not stat any restrictions on the amount of time that I could spend outside the country. It also did not stat and limitations on where I could travel in the world.

Is there a maximum amount of day you can be outside the US with the AP/EAD Combo card, while the permanent resident I485 is being processed?

Can I travel to another country that I did not list on the original application for the AP Card? My husband will be working overseas for a few months and we want to know if I will be able to live with him traveling on my AP card.

Thanks for asking, I was going to start a thread on the same topic :)

- I am the beneficiary -

Filed: Timeline

You do not list any countries when applying for AP. You probably filled out a part of the form you were not supposed to.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I had a few questions on the restrictions of the AP/EAD combo card. When I initial filled out the application for the AP card I stated it would be used to travel back and forth to visit family. I have the AP card now and have used it one time to go back to my Country.

Another note even though there is a weath of knowledge and many opions on this fourm is there some place to reference the actaul rules from the USCIS on the AP card usage?

My AOS is in progress and currently almost 9 months waiting with no action.

Thanks

I don't think AP was intended to be used in that manner. I would wait or GC for that. You do not want them to say you abandoned your AOS

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

There are no certain countries you can travel to with AP. AP is for returning to the US, not leaving it. So long as your country allows you to travel there, you can. There is no need to list where you are traveling to for AP. No statement of explanation is required when filing for AP with a pending I-485.

You probably should not try to spend long amounts of time outside the country with your AP(or green card for that matter as you need to maintain your US residency). A few weeks or even a couple months should be no problem at all though.

In the supplemental sheet I stated I would like to make short trips to my native country to visit my family.

No extra sheet or explanation of your travel plans is required.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1. Is there a maximum amount of day you can be outside the US with the AP/EAD Combo card, while the permanent resident I485 is being processed?

2. Can I travel to another country that I did not list on the original application for the AP Card?

1. Yes and no. If your I-485 is denied while out of the country, you are unlikely to be permitted entry. you will need someone checking your mail in case you get an RFE or interview letter. Honestly though, there really isn't a "rule" about how long you can stay out on AP, that's because it's really only for temporary or emergency type things. I certainly would NOT leave the country for several months on it, a couple of weeks, maybe, but not several months.

2. There was no need to attach an explanation, per the instructions on sending it with I-485. So yes, doesn't matter where you go. It's only about entering the US.

Some sites:

- http://www.hooyou.com/advanceparole/faq.html

- https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/991/~/when-is-advance-parole-required-for-travel

You said your case is 9 months in, how are the other people in your filing month processing? Are you close to approval time or outside it? If outside I would start calling your senator/representative about it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.