rcc04

Pro´s and Con´s of CR1 vs. K3?

10 posts in this topic

Hello all---

I am in Nicaragua and about to marry my Nicaraguan fiance. Unfortunately, I have to leave soon to go back to my work and school in the United States. We are going to apply for a visa to bring him to the states as my husband, and are trying to figure out which is the best route to take, the k-3 or the cr-1. I have been reading the guides, but still am having a hard time locating the pros and the cons of the both. Feedback on either of these proccesses and how they compare--- general processing times, proof needed after we´re together in the states (not sure how many things we´ll own together in a joint name right away...), etc etc.

Look forward to hearing from you.... thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
Hello all---

I am in Nicaragua and about to marry my Nicaraguan fiance. Unfortunately, I have to leave soon to go back to my work and school in the United States. We are going to apply for a visa to bring him to the states as my husband, and are trying to figure out which is the best route to take, the k-3 or the cr-1. I have been reading the guides, but still am having a hard time locating the pros and the cons of the both. Feedback on either of these proccesses and how they compare--- general processing times, proof needed after we´re together in the states (not sure how many things we´ll own together in a joint name right away...), etc etc.

Look forward to hearing from you.... thanks!

check this link..

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=compare

Edited by Dennis & Ezgi

Dennis 3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.gif Ezgi 3dflagsdotcom_turke_2fawl.gif

USCIS

08-11-06 Married

09-18-06 I-130 Mailed Priority

09-19-06 Delivered to VSC

09-20-06 VSC receipt date

09-20-06 NOA1 date

09-23-06 Touched

01-17-07 Touched again

01-18-07 Approved!!!! NOA2

NVC

01-30-07 NVC assigns case number

There are only two advantages to the K-3 over the CR-1 that I can think of: The K-3 can sometimes be faster, and it only requires an I-134 affidavit of support at the consulate, instead of the I-864 that's required of the IR-1/CR-1. Adjustment of status will eventually require that same I-864, but by then, you may be able to combine incomes of both spouses.

The IR-1/CR-1 is superior to the K-3 in virtually every other respect. No adjustment of status is required. No paperwork at all is required until removal of conditions, almost two years after entry (and that's only needed if the marriage is less than two years old at the time of entry). Social security card comes automatically, no employment authorization is needed, LPR status starts immediately upon entry.

Note that the filing process for the K-3 starts by filing the I-130. That I-130 will eventually result in an IR-1/CR-1 visa if you pursue it to completion. So the K-3 vs. CR-1 decision isn't an either/or. You either start the CR-1 alone, or you start both the CR-1 and the K-3, and watch them "race" each other through the system. You can take whichever one wins the race. You can even take the K-3, enter the US, and then go back to the consulate and get the CR-1 when it's ready. Other than the filing fee, there's really no downside to filing for the K-3 once you've started the CR-1. Since it might provide a shortcut, most people file for it. You can always abandon the K-3 when the race is nearly complete, if the CR-1 is winning or if the timelines are close enough that it doesn't matter.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

lucyrich explained it well. You can read the K-3, CR-1 guides at those forums to understand both process better.

There are only two advantages to the K-3 over the CR-1 that I can think of: The K-3 can sometimes be faster, and it only requires an I-134 affidavit of support at the consulate, instead of the I-864 that's required of the IR-1/CR-1. Adjustment of status will eventually require that same I-864, but by then, you may be able to combine incomes of both spouses.

The IR-1/CR-1 is superior to the K-3 in virtually every other respect. No adjustment of status is required. No paperwork at all is required until removal of conditions, almost two years after entry (and that's only needed if the marriage is less than two years old at the time of entry). Social security card comes automatically, no employment authorization is needed, LPR status starts immediately upon entry.

Note that the filing process for the K-3 starts by filing the I-130. That I-130 will eventually result in an IR-1/CR-1 visa if you pursue it to completion. So the K-3 vs. CR-1 decision isn't an either/or. You either start the CR-1 alone, or you start both the CR-1 and the K-3, and watch them "race" each other through the system. You can take whichever one wins the race. You can even take the K-3, enter the US, and then go back to the consulate and get the CR-1 when it's ready. Other than the filing fee, there's really no downside to filing for the K-3 once you've started the CR-1. Since it might provide a shortcut, most people file for it. You can always abandon the K-3 when the race is nearly complete, if the CR-1 is winning or if the timelines are close enough that it doesn't matter.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Check your email... I responded to yours. :thumbs:

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.gif3dflagsdotcom_colom_2fawl.gif

You can visit us at: www.BradAndVicky.com

CR-1 Process (I-130)

06/02/06 - I-130 received @ USCIS Texas Service Center

06/26/06 - NOA1 received, Dated 6/22 & check cashed

08/29/06 - Approved by email - 91 DAYS!!!

09/05/06 - NOA2 received by mail

09/20/06 - NVC assigned Case #

10/02/06 - DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Generated

10/04/06 - DS3032 Shortcut Emailed & AOS Fee Bill Shortcut Sent

10/06/06 - Received email acceptance of DS3032

10/18/06 - Received & Returned IV Fee Bill

10/20/06 - I-864 Package Generated, Shorcut Sent

11/01/06 - DS-230 Package Generated, Shortcut Sent

12/01/06 - Case Complete!!!

12/07/06 - Case sent to US Embassy, Bogota

01/15/07 - Received packet from Bogota!

01/30/07 - Bogota Interview - Approved! (visa received same day)

02/08/07 - Welcome to the E.U. mi Amor!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Lucyrich's comparison is so clear, concise and accurate that, maybe, it should get pinned!

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

In addition. You must now also clearly indicate on the I-130 that the beneficiary will use the consular process, or the I-130 will be held at USCIS (not forwarded to NVC). An I-824 (fee $200) would then need to be filed to have the approved I.30 transferred to NVC

Exerpt from the new procedures.....

If the beneficiary should later elect to consular process instead of applying for adjustment of status, Form I-824, Application for Action on an Approved Application or Petition, must be filed with the USCIS office that approved Form I-130. Upon favorable action on Form I-824, USCIS will send Form I-130 to the NVC

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/PN_i-129f.pdf

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So , just to be clear............we have both our I-129F and our I-130 approved. If I do NOT file form I-824, Application for Action on an Approved Application or Petition, then the I-130 will not ever reach the NVC, but will sit at the NRC until we opt to adjust status?

......and at what point do I file that particular form? Does it required the accompaniment of the NOA2?

google.gif

So , just to be clear............we have both our I-129F and our I-130 approved. If I do NOT file form I-824, Application for Action on an Approved Application or Petition, then the I-130 will not ever reach the NVC, but will sit at the NRC until we opt to adjust status?

......and at what point do I file that particular form? Does it required the accompaniment of the NOA2?

According to the press release, you would only need to file the I-824 if you didn't indicate on the I-130 that you will be applying for a visa at a consulate abroad. If you indicated such, the I-130 will be forwarded to NVC.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

well , we did not indicate on the I-130 that we would like consular processing. I apparently misunderstood that instruction and indicated " n/a " for that answer.

So based on that, is it correct to assume that without filing the I-824 form our only option at this point is AOS ?

google.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.