Gerhard

AOS possible from tourist visa?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi,

I'm a USC and have been living with my Brazilian wife in Brazil for a while. Now we want to move to the US. AIUI, the normal way would be to use "consular processing" while waiting in Brazil for this "processing" to finish.

Since this can take a long time (a year seems to be normal), I was wondering whether there is a way for us to move to the US and then apply for an AOS from inside the US. She has a tourist visa (and has visited the US several times on that visa), but I'm afraid that traveling to the US on a tourist visa doesn't (normally) qualify for AOS. If we did that, the move to the US would be planned and prepared, so it's not really that we can say that lightning struck us and we all of a sudden decided to stay :) The immigration intent would definitely be there when she enters the US for that purpose, and this sounds like a violation of the tourist visa purpose.

So... is there any way that we can move to the US and then adjust her status? On her tourist visa, or on something else that's quicker to get than a spousal visa? Ideally with her being able to work soon after we arrive in the US.

(This is related to a side question that I have. I'm in the lucky position that I have business contacts in the US that will provide me with a promise of employment, specifically willing to wait until this whole visa debacle is over and we can move to the US. But normally, a USC who lives overseas doesn't have that, and wouldn't really be able to file an affidavit of support without first moving to the US and get a job there -- but he/she would have to do so without his/her spouse, who wouldn't yet have an immigrant visa for the US at this point. In effect, this means that typically a USC who married and lived overseas and wants to move back to the US has to live quite a while in the US separated from his/her spouse during the visa process. To me this feels like I'm missing something... what am I missing? Or is this really how the process is designed?)

Thanks for any help,

Gerhard

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Just file an ir1, they are processed faster if you are living overseas

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

First of all, there is no way for you to enter the US with your girlfriend on a tourist visa with the intent to get married and stay. That's illegal, so you can disgard that. The only legal, fair way you can do this is by filing the IR-1/CR-1 and waiting it out. You can either move back to the States and have her wait in her country while the visa is being processed (which could take several months to a year), or you can live abroad with her, which is perfectly fine. As a matter of fact, couples who are living abroad during the processing times usually get approved quicker than cases where the USC is living apart from their foreign spouse (though nobody's really sure why this is). You could also do a K-1 visa, but if you want her to be able to work immediately after getting into the States, you should disregard that idea, too - it takes nearly as long to process as the spouse visa, anyway. These are, unfortunately, your only real options.

USC who lived in Manabí, Ecuador with hubby from 2009 - 2013. Hubby became a naturalized American citizen in August 2016. Currently living together in northern Virginia.

For full timeline, see "about me".

Latest Dates

N-400 Filing - 03/14/2016

NOA - 03/15/2016

Biometrics - 04/13/2016

In Line - 05/11/2016

Interview Notice - 06/03/2016

Interview Date - 07/11/2016

Oath - 08/29/2016

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

First of all, there is no way for you to enter the US with your girlfriend on a tourist visa with the intent to get married and stay. That's illegal, so you can disgard that. The only legal, fair way you can do this is by filing the IR-1/CR-1 and waiting it out. You can either move back to the States and have her wait in her country while the visa is being processed (which could take several months to a year), or you can live abroad with her, which is perfectly fine. As a matter of fact, couples who are living abroad during the processing times usually get approved quicker than cases where the USC is living apart from their foreign spouse (though nobody's really sure why this is). You could also do a K-1 visa, but if you want her to be able to work immediately after getting into the States, you should disregard that idea, too - it takes nearly as long to process as the spouse visa, anyway. These are, unfortunately, your only real options.

They are married.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Moving from spousal visa forums to adjustment of status forums as this is a question about adjustment of status and not spousal visas.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

No.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

No.

Hypnos is right. You'd probably be turned away at the border/airport anyway, since you are married and you'd (I'm assuming) have suitcases with many of your belongings. If you did manage to get through, they might still catch you once you've filed your papers, and that's a big no no. Someone said it earlier, but really your only options are to apply for the IR-1 which is processed fairly quickly since you are living overseas, or return to the states separately from your wife and apply that way. There are several guides here on Visajourney that can tell you how to proceed.

Day 0 - 2 May 2012 Mailed AOS package overnight delivery
Day 139 - 17 September 2012 Interview & APPROVED on the Spot!! :)
Day 145 - 23 September 2012 Received Green Card!

ROC - Eligible June 19 2014

Day 0 - 18 June 2014 Mailed ROC package via 2 day priority

Day 42 - 29 July 2014 Approval and Card Production Email

Day 49 - 5 August 2014 Received Green Card

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.