John&Juvy

IRS problem... and possibly ex-wife too.

5 posts in this topic

My husband and the ex wife was been divorce 15 years before we got married. They have 2 kids together, 1 is 23 now and the youngest is now 22. Ever since, the ex-wife claimed the eldest child as dependent and the youngest is my husband dependent. 3 or 4 years ago, husband make a request at the court to just give the child support straight to his kids since they are already 18 and 19 plus the ex- wife was charging the eldest child a rent at there house and the youngest was also did move out and lived in Manhattan, NY and she was studying there at FIT.

So anyway, 2 years ago, my husband eldest child stopped going to school so the child support for him also stopped since he is over 18 and no longer in school. He took 2 jobs after that and moved out from his mother. The youngest finally graduated last year.

2011 we still claimed her as our dependent. January this year we got a letter from IRS asking about divorce decree of my husband as a supporting document for our last 2011 (not 2012) taxation. My husband sent it to them.

So today, we got a reply from them on mail saying that we owe them $2300.00 for claiming his daughter as our dependent coz other person was also claimed her as a dependent (the ex-wife). They said it doesn't matter if my husband was still present on child support at that time, they still want the F8332 from the ex-wife stating of the revocation of her claimed and sign it.

Quistion is.... what if the ex-wife refuse to sign F8332? My husband just told me that this is not a problem... but I'm still a little worried that's why I'm asking some information here. Hope someone is familiar in to this and can give me more information .

FYI: My step daughter never move back with the mother, she is renting a apartment now in Philadelphia.

SzIKm4.png
4202e493-922b-4a14-a1b7-438a49a69f71_zps0b740bfd-4829-475c-92b2-ceedfc991843_zps

Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

this is an immigration site, not a tax or divorce site. You might be better off asking on a site that deals with the IRS or ask an accountant. I don;'t see what any of this has to do with immigration.

Edited by mimolicious

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I say this not to be mean... let him handle it. This is his and his ex-wife's business, not yours. I am sure that he is well aware of what he is doing. Stop freaking out about it and trust him to sort it out.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My husband and the ex wife was been divorce 15 years before we got married. They have 2 kids together, 1 is 23 now and the youngest is now 22. Ever since, the ex-wife claimed the eldest child as dependent and the youngest is my husband dependent. 3 or 4 years ago, husband make a request at the court to just give the child support straight to his kids since they are already 18 and 19 plus the ex- wife was charging the eldest child a rent at there house and the youngest was also did move out and lived in Manhattan, NY and she was studying there at FIT.

So anyway, 2 years ago, my husband eldest child stopped going to school so the child support for him also stopped since he is over 18 and no longer in school. He took 2 jobs after that and moved out from his mother. The youngest finally graduated last year.

2011 we still claimed her as our dependent. January this year we got a letter from IRS asking about divorce decree of my husband as a supporting document for our last 2011 (not 2012) taxation. My husband sent it to them.

So today, we got a reply from them on mail saying that we owe them $2300.00 for claiming his daughter as our dependent coz other person was also claimed her as a dependent (the ex-wife). They said it doesn't matter if my husband was still present on child support at that time, they still want the F8332 from the ex-wife stating of the revocation of her claimed and sign it.

Quistion is.... what if the ex-wife refuse to sign F8332? My husband just told me that this is not a problem... but I'm still a little worried that's why I'm asking some information here. Hope someone is familiar in to this and can give me more information .

FYI: My step daughter never move back with the mother, she is renting a apartment now in Philadelphia.

You and your spouse should read IRS Publication 504 - Divorced or Separated Individuals. It contains information about who can claim an exemption for children of divorced parents.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

this is an immigration site, not a tax or divorce site. You might be better off asking on a site that deals with the IRS or ask an accountant. I don;'t see what any of this has to do with immigration.

Exactly. Your husband needs to get a tax person involved. Worst case, he pays the $2300.00 Set up a payment plan if needed with the IRS.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.