crispy2

Unmarried vs Married petition for over 21 child.

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline

Greetings all,

Not sure if this has been answered so I will put it out there.

My wife, a LPR, would like to bring her single, over 21yo son to the U.S. from Moldova. We understand that as long as she is a LPR that the case will be dropped/revoked if her son marries during the process. Our curiosity is, what would happen to the process if she applies for him now and then in 5 years she becomes a USC, and then he marries shortly after her citizenship. Does the application process continue on as normal or does he get pushed back to the end of the line again?....He is over 21yo.

Just wondering if we should submit now while she is a LPR and hope that the petition and marriage would come together just after her Citizenship and we don't have to wait another 5-9yrs.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

One she becomes a citizen, she can upgrade his petition to F1 visa category (unmarried son of US citizen), which will make the wait for a visa about a year shorter. If he married after that, he doesn't go to the very back of the line, but his wait becomes longer, he will wait about 4 years more than if he;d remain unmarried.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Thank you both for your replies.

Totally aware that him getting married and applying while his mom is a LPR is bad news and cancels everything. So I am just tossing around ideas...anything to shorten the wait time. I looked at the processing times for the I-130 F3 and it seems to be about 3 years. My wife just received her GC so it is a 5yr wait to become a USC. Here is my thought....Based on the 3 year processing time, what if her son gets married now and we wait for 2yrs before filing the I-130. Then at the end of her 5 year wait for the USC her son's I-130 is done at almost the same time and she just needs to notify USCIS of his married status....Which will add some years. Maybe less than if we waited for her to receive the USC before starting the procedure.

I realize that if her son gets married then we have to wait the 5yrs for his mom to receive her USC...what I am trying to do is see if there are any ways to shorten the waiting time after the USC.

Sorry if this is confusing...Just trying to look at this from all angles.

Thanks!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

why does your wife have to wait five years before USC? are you not a USC. You are eligible for USC after three years of marriage to a USC.

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

why does your wife have to wait five years before USC? are you not a USC. You are eligible for USC after three years of marriage to a USC.

Three years of marriage AND 3 years of holding a green card. So many think that only the marriage time counts and if the arrive after a long slow visa process they will be USC at 3 years of marriage.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

Three years of marriage AND 3 years of holding a green card. So many think that only the marriage time counts and if the arrive after a long slow visa process they will be USC at 3 years of marriage.

Yes....I am a USC...born and raised here. My wife and I were married in July of last year and she received her GC last month....as well as her SSN.

So, can I petition for her son (my step son) and his wife....the are not married now but they want to this summer.

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds like she will need to wait until she has Naturalised.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.