speedwell

US taxes while in I130/IR1/CR1 proceedings

90 posts in this topic

Someone asked me about filing single (that is, without head of household) and amending the tax return later to say married. No, folks, that's not the right way to do it and opens you up to questions like, why didn't you say you were married in the first place? Also, if for any reason your spousal visa interview takes place after April 15, you don't want to show the interviewing officer a 2012 tax form saying "single". In fact you might want to take a copy of the IRS instructions with you, if you do file as single head of household, to prove you weren't violating any laws or trying to say you weren't married. (Obviously this doesn't apply if you really were single on December 31, 2012.)

It's often useful to go the married filing separately route and amend later as married filing joint once the spouse gets the SSN, if that gets you money back, which it probably will. Don't be lazy; you must do this no later than the third year after you file the initial tax form.

Edited by speedwell

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

My NRA spouse is from the Philippines I am the USC, I am going to try to send in her original voters ID(which has her picture on it) and birth certificate. We can not send in her passport because she only has one and also she is in the process of getting it changed along with her SSS card to married status and name change. I am not sure if these 2 ID's will suffice. Any light on the subject would be great. I did read the instructions for the ID requirements for w-7 so I think I will be ok. Thanks for bringing this topic up Speedwell.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Someone asked me about filing single (that is, without head of household) and amending the tax return later to say married. No, folks, that's not the right way to do it and opens you up to questions like, why didn't you say you were married in the first place? Also, if for any reason your spousal visa interview takes place after April 15, you don't want to show the interviewing officer a 2012 tax form saying "single". In fact you might want to take a copy of the IRS instructions with you, if you do file as single head of household, to prove you weren't violating any laws or trying to say you weren't married. (Obviously this doesn't apply if you really were single on December 31, 2012.)

It's often useful to go the married filing separately route and amend later as married filing joint once the spouse gets the SSN, if that gets you money back, which it probably will. Don't be lazy; you must do this no later than the third year after you file the initial tax form.

Hi Speedwell.. Just popping in to say a HUGE thank you abt this post and answering my msg!!!

Met 10/2009Married 9/13/2012 in indiaFiled I-130 12/4/2012Assigned MSC case # 12/6/20122/14/2013 called uscis and on 1/30/2013 case moved from MSC to Chicago local office.4/17/2013 letter from senator durbin's office that a inquiry will be made on my case and to allow 30-60 days6/7/2013 NOA2 !!!!! while I am visiting my baby!!!!7/12/2013 letter from senator and copy of USCIS email to them stated our case heading to NVC 7/23/2013 NVC # assigned!!!!!!7/25/2013 called for Invoice identification number and had them add yash's email( Yash sent DS3032 via email nex day)7/29/2013 rec'd email from NVC with DS3032 and AOS invoice, paid today $88 mailed hardcopy of DS 30328/1/2013 AOS pkg mail via fed ex8/6/2013 AOS rec'd @NVC8/12/2013 DS3032 accepted IV invoiced8/15/2013 IV fed ex'd9/9/13 dreaded checklist asking for DS260 b/c DS230 obsolete<p>9/11/13 electronic submission of DS260 accepted
9/17/2013 called NVC case was completed as of today

10/1/2013 rec'd interview letter and date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/4/2013 INTERVIEW

RESULT....APPROVED!!!

11/12/2013 email to pick up visa!!!

09/09/15-12/2016 ROC +interview= appproved in over a year

12/21/2016 fedex'd N-400 application and per fedex was rec'd

My NRA spouse is from the Philippines I am the USC, I am going to try to send in her original voters ID(which has her picture on it) and birth certificate. We can not send in her passport because she only has one and also she is in the process of getting it changed along with her SSS card to married status and name change. I am not sure if these 2 ID's will suffice. Any light on the subject would be great. I did read the instructions for the ID requirements for w-7 so I think I will be ok. Thanks for bringing this topic up Speedwell.

Hilario, if she has a US Social Security number there's no reason to file a W-7. If the SSS is something other than a typo for Social Security (that is, the US kind), I apologize. The documentation you have sounds like it will be OK. You don't have to send in your passport if you have enough other documentation that you can send as originals or issuing-agency-certified copies.

Hi Speedwell.. Just popping in to say a HUGE thank you abt this post and answering my msg!!!

Of course! As a corporate trainer I know that where one has a question and asks it, ten have the same question and didn't ask. :)

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU Speedwell!!!! :D My Husband is getting prepared to file his taxes and some crazy person (<---- that is me being super nice :) ) told him that because I don't live in the US and I am not a Resident of the US yet, that he can just file as single.... And I had a mini melt down... okay it was more of a FREAKOUT, trying to stress the fact that he MUST file as married.

C

*See ABOUT ME for complete Visa Journey Timeline*

~~~ROC~~~

04/12/15- Eligible to apply for removal of conditions

05/16/15- I-175 Mailed to VSC

05/19/15- NOA (received 05/23)

06/16/15- Biometrics Appointment

03/07/16- ROC Decision Date - Approved

03/11/16- Text and Email Received 'New Card in Production'

03/12/16- Approval Letter Received in the Mail

03/??/16- 10 Year Greencard in Hand

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Wonderful post!

I just spoke to a CPA yesterday and he said that married filing jointly in my position would be impossible.

My husband has been to the US before and has worked so he already has a SSN. He last worked in the US in 2009.

Currently he is working as a teacher in India but his employer does not give him paystubs and receives nothing equivalent to a W-2. The CPA told me it would be impossible to file jointly without these documents.

So is our only option to file married separately then?

Edited by AKSinghSingh79

I am the petitioner.

VMETm4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Thanks for the clear breakdown. I've been debating what we would file as and it is going to have be married filing separately. :thumbs:

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU Speedwell!!!! :D My Husband is getting prepared to file his taxes and some crazy person (<---- that is me being super nice :) ) told him that because I don't live in the US and I am not a Resident of the US yet, that he can just file as single.... And I had a mini melt down... okay it was more of a FREAKOUT, trying to stress the fact that he MUST file as married.

C

Yeah, you exist, you're not the imaginary "girlfriend from Canada" in the joke (you're the wife now!! hahaha)... so he IS married!

Remember (this is for you and anyone else watching) that you must put the foreign spouse's SSN or ITIN if they have one, for instance because they were a resident in the past or they have or had a work visa.

Edited by speedwell

LATEST STEPS:

Wonderful post!

I just spoke to a CPA yesterday and he said that married filing jointly in my position would be impossible.

My husband has been to the US before and has worked so he already has a SSN. He last worked in the US in 2009.

Currently he is working as a teacher in India but his employer does not give him paystubs and receives nothing equivalent to a W-2. The CPA told me it would be impossible to file jointly without these documents.

So is our only option to file married separately then?

AK, your situation may be different because your husband has a SSN. My husband did not have to provide documentation of his foreign income because of the amount and because it all fell under the foreign income exclusion (he had to specify a fairly exact amount though and provide the source's contact information, which is a government agency in the UK). I'm pretty sure that your husband may also fall under the foreign income exclusion, which has different documentation requirements. Please have a quick consultation with a CPA experienced with immigrant spouse matters. If one isn't available in your area, call one in a big immigrant city like Houston or LA or New York and ask to have a phone consultation, even if you have to pay a nominal fee.

Edited by speedwell

LATEST STEPS:

Thanks for the clear breakdown. I've been debating what we would file as and it is going to have be married filing separately. :thumbs:

Nola, you may also fall under the foreign income exclusion... in fact I've been reading about it and I am almost certain you do. Read about it on the IRS site and decide. It depends on certain foreign residency and income source considerations. There is an extra form you must file but it's just one or two pages and pretty straightforward.

Edited by speedwell

LATEST STEPS:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Cuba
Timeline

I efiled. Married in November of 2012. Husband in Cuba (non-resident alient). I'm the USC and have filed a I-130 for a CR1. I called the IRS and read up on the subject. I chose to file as Head of Household because I met the requirements (my mother is a dependent). Hopefully next year we are together and not waiting :)

Petitioner/USC Married: 11/26/2012
USCIS (144 Days)
01-12-2013 : I-130 sent (CR1) - Phoenix AZ Lockbox
01-14-2013 : NOA1 - Processing @ NBC (MSC)
06-07-2013: NOA2 - Checked status via the USCIS website

NVC
06/20/13: NVC Received

06/26/13: Case/IIN Assigned
07/05/13: AOS Package Sent
07/18/19: IV Package sent
08/01/13: AOS Checklist - Grrr! (16 Business Days)
08/09/13: IV Package accepted (15 Business Days)
08/29/13: AOS Package accepted (17 Business Days)
08/29/13: Case complete

09/09/13: Interview Assigned

09/18/13: Medical Exam

10/07/13: Interview/Approved

10/14/13: Picked up Visa at US Interest Section - Havana

11/26/13: POE Tampa

ELIS/Green Card Production/SSN

12/03/13: ELIS Paid Status

12/07/13: SSN Arrived in Mail

12/19/13: ELIS Optimized/In Process Status

12/30/13: Production of New Card Began

1/3/14: Card Produced Status

1/6/14: GC Received via Mail

Petition To Remove Conditions on Permanent Residency - Jointly Filed

08/29/15: I-751 Form w/ Documentation - Laguna Nigel, CA PO BOX

09/02/15: NOA1

3/29/16: Approved - New Card is Being Produced.

I efiled. Married in November of 2012. Husband in Cuba (non-resident alient). I'm the USC and have filed a I-130 for a CR1. I called the IRS and read up on the subject. I chose to file as Head of Household because I met the requirements (my mother is a dependent). Hopefully next year we are together and not waiting :)

Good! I hope so too :)

Yes, you can e-file if your spouse has a SSN or ITIN already, or if you are not requesting an ITIN. You have to file on paper if you are requesting an ITIN by filing W-7 along with your tax form, and it has to go to the special address in Austin.

LATEST STEPS:

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Ok, so, I did exactly what you just said not to, because my dad's stupid accountant told me to. I've lived in Australia for the past five years and didn't know until we started this visa process that I still needed to file a US return. My husband has never lived in the US, so the accountant said just to file single. I attached 2555-EZ's to all my returns and I was basically able to zero out my income for tax purposes, since I'm a resident of Australia and made less than $90,000ish.

Because my SSN is under my maiden name and the last time I lived in the US I wasn't married, I also included a copy of our marriage cert and my Australian passport, to show my name change and that I'm a bona fide resident of Australia. So, I showed I'm obviously married, and obviously wasn't trying to pull anything disingenuous or sneaky. I'm just obviously stupid. My husband and I have been married for more than four years and have a child, so I don't think USCIS could accuse us of fraud based on my putting single on my returns.

Basically my question to you nice people is: what should I do? Should I try to contact the IRS and amend? Will it cause major issues with either the IRS or USCIS? I really didn't mean to do the wrong thing, I've just never done US taxes before and obviously took some bad advice!

Ok, so, I did exactly what you just said not to, because my dad's stupid accountant told me to. I've lived in Australia for the past five years and didn't know until we started this visa process that I still needed to file a US return. My husband has never lived in the US, so the accountant said just to file single. I attached 2555-EZ's to all my returns and I was basically able to zero out my income for tax purposes, since I'm a resident of Australia and made less than $90,000ish.

Because my SSN is under my maiden name and the last time I lived in the US I wasn't married, I also included a copy of our marriage cert and my Australian passport, to show my name change and that I'm a bona fide resident of Australia. So, I showed I'm obviously married, and obviously wasn't trying to pull anything disingenuous or sneaky. I'm just obviously stupid. My husband and I have been married for more than four years and have a child, so I don't think USCIS could accuse us of fraud based on my putting single on my returns.

Basically my question to you nice people is: what should I do? Should I try to contact the IRS and amend? Will it cause major issues with either the IRS or USCIS? I really didn't mean to do the wrong thing, I've just never done US taxes before and obviously took some bad advice!

Breathe, you're not in trouble and you're NOT STUPID. You don't need to call anyone. File amended returns for the last three years using 1040-X and any schedules, such as to claim foreign income exclusion because you are and were a bona fide Australia resident. You probably won't have to pay penalties since you probably won't have a tax liability as a result of the amended returns, unless you have enough income that doesn't fall under the exclusion. Use the amended returns for your Affidavit of Support and have hubby take the correct 2012 return to the interview. Breathe again. :)

Edited by speedwell

LATEST STEPS:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.