speedwell

US taxes while in I130/IR1/CR1 proceedings

90 posts in this topic

I am using an expensive CPA who specializes in international taxes. I'm not sure if he knows any more than I do though, since I've done a lot of research and I filled out my tax forms and the W-7 for my wife's tax ID with the proper backup information. I've got an unusual problem though. My wife in China worked for a small family company until a couple months after we got married last June. They let her go once they found out about our marriage because they knew she was planning on quitting to come to the US once her visa was approved. She became upset and there was an argument when they let her go, so she is no longer on good terms with the past employer. My question is how do I handle her employment on my joint tax return? She doesn't have any record of how much they paid her, as it varied and they don't provide any W-2 forms or anything. Also, how does the IRS verify her employment or how much money she makes? Would they call her past employer? I've been planning on filing the joint tax return with only my income and saying she had no employment, but that contradicts what we put on the I-130 petition. We put her employment dates with the company on the I-130. China is still backwards with things like this. Does anyone have any advice? I don't want the interviewer to question why my 2012 tax return doesn't show her employer but the visa forms show the employer.

Her employment is self-reported. No W-2 like statements from a foreign employer are sent to the IRS. Most people can figure out how much income they made by pay slips or looking at bank statements. When i had to report my husband's foreign income, it was a big fat guesstimate, as close as we could possibly get. The IRS isn't going to call her employer. The USCIS interviewer probably has no clue how to interpret a tax return with foreign income exclusion. He will be interested in the line showing adjusted goss income. He won't be calling the IRS, nor will the IRS be calling immigration.

Advice? Do what the law says:

• Report world wide income if filing jointly, OR
  • Report only your income and file Married Filing Separately

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Her employment is self-reported. No W-2 like statements from a foreign employer are sent to the IRS. Most people can figure out how much income they made by pay slips or looking at bank statements. When i had to report my husband's foreign income, it was a big fat guesstimate, as close as we could possibly get. The IRS isn't going to call her employer. The USCIS interviewer probably has no clue how to interpret a tax return with foreign income exclusion. He will be interested in the line showing adjusted goss income. He won't be calling the IRS, nor will the IRS be calling immigration.

Advice? Do what the law says:

• Report world wide income if filing jointly, OR
  • Report only your income and file Married Filing Separately

Thank you. I told my accountant to include my wife's income on our joint tax return. She couldn't give me exact numbers though, so she had to estimate. I hope the IRS doesn't pursue anything further because I don't think she can provide more information.

Folks, I've been getting a lot of questions about this here and other forums so I decided to bump it. Good luck :)

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Folks, I've been getting a lot of questions about this here and other forums so I decided to bump it. Good luck :)

Ah... meaning I won't get reply to my private message that I sent you for the CPA letter? :(

I'm going to my CPA tomorrow - I hope he knows what to do...

Let's see if this works... here is the language for the NRA election form I mentioned in the thread. If you are a resident alien, use your name and tax ID number where it says USC name and SSN. Be sure you both provide original signatures.

[uSC NAME] AND [NRA NAME]

SSN: [uSC SSN]

2012 Form 1040

Election of non-resident alien

1. I, [NRA Name], was a non-resident alien on the last day of 2012 and I elect to be treated as a U.S. resident for the entire tax year and to file a joint return with my [wife/husband], [uSC Name].

2. My address is [Full foreign address of NRA], and my U.S. identification number is pending.

3. [uSC Name]’s address is [Full US address of USC] and [her/his] identification number is [sSN].

[NRA Name]

[uSC Name]

Edited by speedwell

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

Ah... meaning I won't get reply to my private message that I sent you for the CPA letter? :(

I'm going to my CPA tomorrow - I hope he knows what to do...

That was my very next post ;)

LATEST STEPS:

Timeline

That was my very next post ;)

Thanks you so much speedwell!!! :D:dance::thumbs:

Also, fellas, what are we doing with "date of entry to the US" field in W-7 form if the spouse has never entered the US so far? just leave it blank or type in "never" or something like that.....

Thanks you so much speedwell!!! :D:dance::thumbs:

Also, fellas, what are we doing with "date of entry to the US" field in W-7 form if the spouse has never entered the US so far? just leave it blank or type in "never" or something like that.....

Don't leave it blank. Enter N/A into the box.

LATEST STEPS:

Bumping again because I'm getting so many questions that have been answered in the thread. :)

LATEST STEPS:

I am here in the Philippines, working and my husband filed his tax as Married/jointly filing. i sent him my 2012 tax witheld and IRS accepted it.. he got his returns last week.

08.20.2016 - ROC Complete

N-400 - NATURALIZATION

02.24.2016 - Packet Sent thru USPS Priority Mail

02.26.2016 - Packet received, signed by K.Coltrin

03.01.2016 - Check cashed

03.01.2016 - NOA1 received by text and email

03.24.2016 - Bio metrics

04.21.2016 - In Line for Interview

05.25.2016 - Case Updated: Interview Scheduled

06.30.2016 - Interview Result: "A Decision cannot be made yet"

07.07.2016 - Received Text, "Oath Ceremony has been scheduled"

07.21.2016 - Oath Taking

07.21.2016 - ITS OFFICIAL .. IM A US CITIZEN :dancing: :idea: :goofy:

I am here in the Philippines, working and my husband filed his tax as Married/jointly filing. i sent him my 2012 tax witheld and IRS accepted it.. he got his returns last week.

Excellent! I hope we hear more success stories as the tax season wears on (especially from me)!! :)

LATEST STEPS:

Timeline

Here's what i did. Please correct me if i'm wrong...

Married Filing jointly

Ln 7 : My income + spouse foreign income

Ln 21: Exclude spouse foreign income

Check for standard deduction (mine + spouse)

Anyone filed Form 1116? Should this be filed in conjunction with Form 2555 or is it either/or kind of situation?

Thanks..

USCIS (142 days)
2013-01-25 - Sent I-130 to chicago lockbox
2013-01-28 - NOA1 (case at MSC)
2013-06-21 - NOA2

NVC (____ days)
2013-07-08 - NVC received case

2013-07-11 - IIN assigned
2013-07-17 - DS3032 email sent
2013-07-19 - AOS bill invoiced and paid

2013-07-23 - AOS packet sent
2013-07-28 - DS3032 accepted
2013-08-04 - IV bill invoiced and paid
2013-08-07 - IV packet sent (from India)
2013-09-10 - Case complete

2013-10-01 - Interview scheduled

Consulate
2013-XX-XX - Medical

2013-11-15 - Interview
2013-XX-XX - Visa in hand
2013-XX-XX - POE (Houston, TX)

Here's what i did. Please correct me if i'm wrong...

Married Filing jointly

Ln 7 : My income + spouse foreign income

Ln 21: Exclude spouse foreign income

Check for standard deduction (mine + spouse)

Anyone filed Form 1116? Should this be filed in conjunction with Form 2555 or is it either/or kind of situation?

Thanks..

When you claim foreign income exclusion, you have to file the Foreign Income Exclusion form too. Go ahead and complete one.

LATEST STEPS:

So according to the IRS we need an ITIN to file his taxes, even separately. I know everyone on here says he doesn't, but he's annoyed and doesn't want to pay for turbo tax when he can normally get it for free because he has a military W2. So he's going on monday to get an extension, of which I'll bring proof to the interview and we'll do the taxes once I get there an get an SSN.

So frustrating.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.