Roosha

Filing Status - Single

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

you can't get the 2012 year tax transcript until after april 15 2013.you can get an extension 6 months, to file your taxes.also it's better if you file jointly married, it will give you good evidence of bonafide marriage for your citizenship,

I'll be filing as "Married filing separately." As my wife does not have a SSN or ITIN, I'll be writing "NRA" (non-resident alien) in the spot where it asks for her SSN or ITIN. This is perfectly legal and is even listed in the 1040 instructions.

I don't have experience filing with children, so I can't comment there, but this is what I did for three years. No problems whatsoever. And I also filed a couple of years late. No issues. I was unable to efile though, so I had to mail them in, which is a bit of a pain and an added expense when you have to use Fedex or something similar.

Good luck... Hope everything is working out for you!

USCIS Stage

February 17th, 2012 - NOA1 Email

March 1st, 2012 - NOA2 Email (USC residing abroad)

NVC Stage

March 12th 2012 - Received

March 21st, 2012 - Case Number received

April 20th, 2012 - Case Closed

May 1st, 2012 - Interview scheduled

Embassy

May 29th, 2012 - Interview - Approved!

June 6th, 2012 - Passport with visa delivered

July 29th, 2012 - POE together in Houston

August 6th, 2012 - Social Security Card Received

August 16th, 2012 - Green Card Received

You need the ITIN for married filing separately? I was looking it up on a tax site and it sounded like you only needed the ITIN for filing jointly. As far as I can read that's pretty much filing as single but you're saying "hey I'm married, just not gaining any tax benefit from it."

(just fully read the second post.)

Edit: In Canada we register marriages and in the USA you guys don't. I think the way you file your taxes is somehow a weird equivalent to a registration of marriage.

Edited by NikiR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You need the ITIN for married filing separately? I was looking it up on a tax site and it sounded like you only needed the ITIN for filing jointly. As far as I can read that's pretty much filing as single but you're saying "hey I'm married, just not gaining any tax benefit from it."

(just fully read the second post.)

Edit: In Canada we register marriages and in the USA you guys don't. I think the way you file your taxes is somehow a weird equivalent to a registration of marriage.

What do you mean we don't register marriages?

Is my pastor sending paperwork to the courthouse stating the marriage happened not registering it?

How else would I get marriage certificates?

oldlady.gif

It depends on the state/county/city. I may have worded it wrong but it's not like what I'm used to, provincially and nationally. But then we only have 10 provinces and 3 territories and a third of the population. It's easier to regulate obviously. Don't take offense.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

It depends on the state/county/city. I may have worded it wrong but it's not like what I'm used to, provincially and nationally. But then we only have 10 provinces and 3 territories and a third of the population. It's easier to regulate obviously. Don't take offense.

lol no offense.

i was genuinely asking the questions

though reading again i see it reads a bit threatening lol

even i just read it that way haha

oldlady.gif

If you file as single this is how your interview is going to go:

Officer: Are these your taxes which say single? So you aren't married? Ok visa denied.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Timeline

If you file as single this is how your interview is going to go:

Officer: Are these your taxes which say single? So you aren't married? Ok visa denied.

i dont think it quite happens like that

oldlady.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You signed a document to the federal government where you state you are single even though that status is not allowed if you are legally married, why wouldn't they deny you ?

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

For marriage visas, ROC, and citizenship, what is the first thing that USCIS looks for to show proof of a relationship JOINT TAX RETURNS.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

I don't have experience filing with children, so I can't comment there, but this is what I did for three years. No problems whatsoever. And I also filed a couple of years late. No issues. I was unable to efile though, so I had to mail them in, which is a bit of a pain and an added expense when you have to use Fedex or something similar.

Good luck... Hope everything is working out for you!

You need a SSN or ITIN for anyone that you claim as a dependent. If you aren't claiming children and your spouse makes no money (not claiming a tax return), you can use NRA if filing Married Separately. Claiming Married Jointly, you need an ITIN or SSN for the spouse. If you're claiming children, you need an ITIN or SSN for them.

The first year that you file taxes with a new ITIN, you cannot e-file, you have to do it by paper. On the 2nd year, you can e-file.

As for everyone else who say to claim Single, I wouldn't do that. Nowhere on the IRS website or any forms/instructions does it say to list single if you are in fact married. Whether or not you'll get in trouble for it is a different story. If you're married, you're supposed to file as married.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline

So I can file Married Separately and write NRA and not apply for an ITIN? If that's the case, it'll solve the whole issue.

As far as sending in W2s I don't have those b/c any employment I had was overseas and they obviously don't give W2s which is why I need to get transcripts.

Are you sure they don't send out transcripts for 2012 until after deadline?

USC married to Palestinian lived in Doha, Qatar for seven years, in the USA since July 2013 with an eight year old and a two year old smile.png

USCIS - 37 days
12.13.12: Sent I-130 from abroad
12.16.12: Delivered to Chicago Lock Box
12.19.12: NOA1 - E-mail, MSC number
12.21.12: Case showed up online
01.25.13: NOA2
01.30.13: Email from USCIS - Post Decision Activity - Case sent to NVC
NVC - 28 Days
02.05.13: NVC Received
02.22.13: Case/IIN Received

AOS Track
02.26.13: AOS bill invoiced
02.27.13: Pay AOS bill
03.06.13: AOS bill shows PAID
03.07.13: AOS package sent

IV Track
02.23.13: DS-3032 sent
03.03.13: DS-3032 re-sent for Supervisor Review
03.04.13: DS-3032 accepted
03.06.13: First DS-3032 accepted!
03.05.13: IV bill invoiced
03.06.13: Pay IV bill
03.07.13: IV bill shows PAID
03.07.13: IV package sent

03.11.13: AOS and IV Packages delivered to NVC
03.20.13: IV Package Accepted
03.22.13: Case complete
03.29.13: Interview scheduled - Email
04.02.13: Case left NVC
Consulate
04.04.13: Case received
04.08.13 - Medical
04.28.13 - Interview - Approved

05.02.13 - Visa In Hand
07.21.13 - POE (Washington D.C.)

Gearing up to apply for Naturalization in April 2016!

Timeline

So I can file Married Separately and write NRA and not apply for an ITIN? If that's the case, it'll solve the whole issue.

As far as sending in W2s I don't have those b/c any employment I had was overseas and they obviously don't give W2s which is why I need to get transcripts.

Are you sure they don't send out transcripts for 2012 until after deadline?

yes and yes.

just incude a copy of the return and explanation of no w2s

oldlady.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.