Fedup53

Can I report my "husband" for staying out of US?

6 posts in this topic

I know this might sound like a strange question, but I've just about had it with my situation. I got married 5 years ago to someone from Colombia, we did all the immigration stuff right, he was approved for GC, removal of conditions, etc. Thing is he never got a real job here in the U.S. For the past year and a half he has spent more time back in Colombia than he has here. He says he doesn't like where we are living, he's lonely, so he goes back home. He stayed there from April 2011 to July 2011, then again Sep 2011-Nov 2011, then Mid Jan 2012-mid Dec 2012. I don't know what he's doing down there, says he's staying with family, etc, and I know this might be a cowardly way to do it but I need some real good grounds for divorce. I wonder if I can just report him to immigration. He wants to go back again at the end of this month, then come back whenever?? So, if I report him can they get him on re-entry and just send him back?

Thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

His passport is updated everytime he enters and exits the US so if he is out of the country too long and too often the USCIS will cancel his greencard. I am not sure what state you are in but in most states you can divorce on the mere fact that you do not want to be married to him. I suggest you just file for divorce and go on with your life and let Karma do it's work.

Edited by hamigirl710

event.png

event.png

Marriage: 7/12/10
Filed I-130: 9/10/12
NOA1: 9/17/12
Transferred to NBC: 9/19/12
Sent to local office for adjudication: 9/21/12
RFE for Beneficiary BC received 12/13/12
Mail BC in response to RFE 12/17/12
NOA2: 12/20/12
NVC case number assigned: 1/29/13
Sent DS-3032 email: 1/31/13
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill: 2/1/13
Pay I-864 Bill: 2/5/13
NVC Accepted DS-3032: 2/12/13
Received IV Bill: 2/13/13
Send Completed I-864: 2/16/13
NVC Received I-864 Package: 2/19/13
AOS Package accepted: 2/26/13
Pay IV Bill: 2/28/13
IV Packet Sent: 3/2/13
NVC Received IV Packet: 3/4/13
Case Completed at NVC: 3/13/13
Interview date: 4/30/13

APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

POE: pending

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** MOving from US Citizenship to Effects of Major Changes which seems to fit this topic best ****

Immigration already know about his travels, as mentioned above. You cannot get him deported.

However, you can certainly divorce him. Talk to a divorce lawyers, even if you need to show cause in your state, you may have a case for "abandonment" based on him being gone so much.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Send a letter to ICE or call them (information at the bottom of the page). Tell them he's abusing his GC. Refuses to live in the US blah blah. They'll investigate it or not. You can't get him deported but if you want to report him that's how I would do it.

Then file for divorce, have him served either before he leaves or next time he comes back (at the airport if you want to) and try and forget about his status because it's no longer your concern.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

When I came to US I felt the same way and went to India to be with my family and that upset my wife and inlaws. Since then I have been in the US for last 32 years and recently became a citizen. Have you thought of going with him to Columbia and spend some time with him and his family and that might comfort him and feel more secure. Looks to me you both need to talk to a marriage counsler and see if you can sort things out. It all depends on how much he loves and how much you love him. You could also try living in a different place in US that might be more comfortable to both you and make him feel more secure. Unless he is cheating on you and have another woman in columbia, you should try to sort it and figure out what makes your marriage works. If every thing fails then there is always an option of getting a divorce and move on with you life. Just reporting to different agencies is not going to do any good. He might just give up green card and stay in columbia. Not sure what the issue is but best place to start is talking to a marriage counsler and take the next steps.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.