crazysamurai

I-134 affidavit of support for visitor visa

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

I am sending affidavit of support (I-134) for a relative who wants to get visitor visa (B-2) to US. I have couple of questions:

1. Should I send a copy of I-134 (along with my bank statements showing financial support as evidence)? or Do i have to send original signed I-134

2. Where should I send this form I-134? Directly to consulate? or to the applicant? From what I remember, i think i have to send the form I-134 to the applicant and applicant takes this form to the interview in case consular officer wants to review the form along with DS-160 for applicant.

CS

USCIS

2008-03-01: I-130 Sent

2008-03-10: I-130 NOA1

2008-08-11: NOA2 I-130 - APPROVED

NVC

2008-08-14: Package forwarded to NVC

2008-08-25: DS3032 Generated and AOS Bill Generated

2008-08-26: IIN Obtained

2008-08-26: COA Emailed

2008-08-27: Paid AOS Bill (online)

2008-08-29: AOS Bill status "PAID" on NVC website

2008-08-29: AOS Bill and DS3032 hardcopy arrived in mail

2008-09-13: Paid IV Bill (online)

2008-09-05: COA Accepted by NVC

2008-09-05: Mailed I-864

2008-09-17: IV Bill status "PAID" on NVC website

2008-09-23 : Mailed DS-230

2008-10-01 : Case Complete

2008-11-01 : Medical Exam

2008-11-06 : VFS Office visit

2008-11-20 : Interview ...APPROVED

2008-11-22: Visa in Hand

2008-12-12 : POE in Chicago

2009-01-03 : Received Welcome Letter

2009-01-30 : Received Social Security #

2009-01-12: Received Another Welcome Letter w/ GC

2009-01-12 : Received Green Card

Filed: Timeline

totally immaterial...the I-134 is a document that has zero value in this instance...(and many others) it is not a legally enforceable document, and, as far as tourist visa applications go, it has about as much value as two week old newspaper.

Remember, the applicant must qualify in ALL respects for a tourist visa....no third party can make any meaningful POSITIVE contribution towards convincing a VO that the applicant will:

(a) depart the US promptly after a visit of appropriate duration

(b) not engage in unlawful employment

© find 'true love' ten minutes after clearing customs.

An I 134, whether signed or not, notarized or not, original or not, cannot control, modify or change any of the above.

All an I-134 can do is make things worse...

Timeline

totally immaterial...the I-134 is a document that has zero value in this instance...(and many others) it is not a legally enforceable document, and, as far as tourist visa applications go, it has about as much value as two week old newspaper.

Remember, the applicant must qualify in ALL respects for a tourist visa....no third party can make any meaningful POSITIVE contribution towards convincing a VO that the applicant will:

(a) depart the US promptly after a visit of appropriate duration

(b) not engage in unlawful employment

© find 'true love' ten minutes after clearing customs.

An I 134, whether signed or not, notarized or not, original or not, cannot control, modify or change any of the above.

All an I-134 can do is make things worse...

I suggest you read the post first. Was I asking about viability and usefullness of I-134? Was I asking whether I -134 would be helpful in getting the visa? I already know whatever you wrote.... Your comment is not in any way, shape or form answering my question....

I am not filling out I-134 so the person can get visitor visa. The applicant has to prove that he/she has "STRONG" ties to his/her country and will not overstay his/her visa. I am doing this so the person feels that I provided financial support and will do everything from my side to support him/her. For me, it's just my duty, regardless how immaterial I-134 is...

CS.

Edited by crazysamurai

USCIS

NVC

read your first post....you asked several questions about that silly I 134...and I answered...to inform you that an I 134 has no more value than monopoly money when it comes to another party seeking and qualifying for a tourist visa....zero, zilch, nada.....whether you sign it, notarize it, send an original, fax it, scan it or FedEx it ....used Kleenex has similar value. You apparently just don't like my answer....what you want instead is for some uninformed person to have posted...."oh gosh, yes, send the original, notarized in a blue envelope and gee whize, your 'friend' will so totally overwhelm the VO that the visa will be issued in 3.2 nanoseconds..no questions asked...'....

sorry...won't happen under any circumstances....read the INA (Immigration and Nationality Act....scan it carefully...find, if you can, any reference whatsoever to an I 134 being a requirement for a tourist visa applicant, or that said document will make the VO so happy that a visa will be granted at just under the speed of light....you won't find any reference to an I 134 under the section of the INA that pertains to tourist visas....so what does that suggest? Simply that an I 134 plays no role whatsoever in that process....the ONLY visa category in which an I 134 is a requirement is the....K1 category...(but then, you knew that already, didn't you?)

and no one, no matter where they think they reside on the phylum scale, has any 'duty' to support or anything else on behalf of somebody seeking a tourist visa...any interference or 'guarantees' that focus on a tourist visa applicant are totally without merit, because neither you nor I nor anyone else, save ICE, can regulate the behavior of anyone admitted to the US of A as a tourist....if your friend decides to go wash cars or dishes or hotel rooms, how are you going to stop said friend? Tell him or her ...don't do that!'..? Or, call ICE and have said friend picked up and deported? Really? some friend you are.

Bottom line: no matter what you write, on no matter what kind of piece of paper, has ZERO positive impact on any applicant requesting a tourist visa...period...game over. If you doubt that, please, by all means, find that section of US law that says otherwise.....I'll go one better...I DEFY to you find such a law....(no excuses now....)

Edited by Noah Lot

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I suggest you read the post first. Was I asking about viability and usefullness of I-134? Was I asking whether I -134 would be helpful in getting the visa? I already know whatever you wrote.... Your comment is not in any way, shape or form answering my question....

I am not filling out I-134 so the person can get visitor visa. The applicant has to prove that he/she has "STRONG" ties to his/her country and will not overstay his/her visa. I am doing this so the person feels that I provided financial support and will do everything from my side to support him/her. For me, it's just my duty, regardless how immaterial I-134 is...

CS.

The fact of the matter is...an I134 or any other affidavit of support is not accepted for a visitor visa, ever. That means never ever. The said person must apply on their own, based on their own merits, not yours. No matter how hard to try to find someone to agree with you or try to find information to the contrary, there is simply no financial support taken into to consideration other than that of the person applying for the visa. Period. End of story.

Timeline

and no one, no matter where they think they reside on the phylum scale, has any 'duty' to support or anything else on behalf of somebody seeking a tourist visa...any interference or 'guarantees' that focus on a tourist visa applicant are totally without merit, because neither you nor I nor anyone else, save ICE, can regulate the behavior of anyone admitted to the US of A as a tourist....if your friend decides to go wash cars or dishes or hotel rooms, how are you going to stop said friend? Tell him or her ...don't do that!'..? Or, call ICE and have said friend picked up and deported? Really? some friend you are.

Bottom line: no matter what you write, on no matter what kind of piece of paper, has ZERO positive impact on any applicant requesting a tourist visa...period...game over. If you doubt that, please, by all means, find that section of US law that says otherwise.....I'll go one better...I DEFY to you find such a law....(no excuses now....)

I don't imply duty as in legal requirement...The person that i am applying for doesn't know these rules....so this is just in case she doesn't get visa (which she already has very slim chance to get anyway based on imperical evidence of what goes in that consulate and her weak application showing ties to her native country), she does not feel that lack of financial sponosorship got in way of not getting a visa. It's only done for psychological assurance.

CS

USCIS

NVC

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I don't imply duty as in legal requirement...The person that i am applying for doesn't know these rules....so this is just in case she doesn't get visa (which she already has very slim chance to get anyway based on imperical evidence of what goes in that consulate and her weak application showing ties to her native country), she does not feel that lack of financial sponosorship got in way of not getting a visa. It's only done for psychological assurance.

CS

The psychological assurance must be for yourself. You certianly need the help. You admit she cant prove the most important aspect of HER application which is PROVING ties to her country. It is a huge mistake to point out she needs financial sponsorship.

Your providing the 134 will assure her of denial. You choose to ignore the advise of members experianced in these matters so I would say just forge ahead and send the 134. It wont matter anyway because as we see here you think its YOU thats applying. If she understands how you helping her assured her of never getting the visa it may not go well for you. Also she will come to understand this denial will follow her if she should try again in the future.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I forgot to mention that, you have to mail it to the person who is going to the interview. They'll take it along to them with the interview

Totaly wrong in every way. The O P is asking about a TOURIST visa not a K 1. There is no requirement nor need to submit a useless document or to wildly misunderstand the tourist visa application process.

I think that all I -134s are supposed to be sent via Pony Express, for the psychological assurance of the sender....maybe I'm wrong....I'll hafta check....

Totaly wrong in every way. The O P is asking about a TOURIST visa not a K 1. There is no requirement nor need to submit a useless document or to wildly misunderstand the tourist visa application process.

I think I said that...but the OP just doesn't seem to grasp this basic fact....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

OP

If you have some sense that it is your duty or responsibility in some way to try to ease this persons pain in trying to get a tourist visa, sending her an 134 which she may ( hopefully not) bring to any interview will only HURT her chances. And it may also give her a false hope for approval. Exactly the opposite of your intentions. You know what she needs to do and I would humbly suggest you tell her straight out that there is nothing you can do except pray.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You could send an invitation letter indicating the length of stay our support while here etc., we did a similar one for my sister in law.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.