Bad_Daddy

Claim seeks $100 million for child survivor of Connecticut school shooting

38 posts in this topic

http://news.yahoo.com/claim-seeks-100-million-child-survivor-connecticut-school-003646074.html

By Mary Ellen Godin | Reuters – 1 hr 57 mins ago

MERIDEN, Connecticut (Reuters) - A $100 million claim on behalf of a 6-year-old survivor is the first legal action to come out of the Connecticut school shooting that left 26 children and adults dead two weeks ago.

The unidentified client, referred to as Jill Doe, heard "cursing, screaming, and shooting" over the school intercom when the gunman, 20-year-old Adam Lanza, opened fire, according to the claim filed by New Haven-based attorney Irv Pinsky.

"As a consequence, the ... child has sustained emotional and psychological trauma and injury, the nature and extent of which are yet to be determined," the claim said.

Pinsky said he filed a claim on Thursday with state Claims Commissioner J. Paul Vance Jr., whose office must give permission before a lawsuit can be filed against the state.

"We all know its going to happen again," Pinsky said on Friday. "Society has to take action."

Twenty children and six adults were shot dead on December 14 at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. The children were all 6 and 7 years old.

Pinsky's claim said that the state Board of Education, Department of Education and Education Commissioner had failed to take appropriate steps to protect children from "foreseeable harm."

It said they had failed to provide a "safe school setting" or design "an effective student safety emergency response plan and protocol."

Pinsky said he was approached by the child's parents within a week of the shooting.

The shooting, which also left the gunman dead, has prompted extensive debate about gun control and the suggestion by the National Rifle Association that schools be patrolled by armed guards. Police have said the gunman killed his mother at their home in Newtown before going to the school.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Sad thing is, IF it makes it to the courts the school district will probably settle. Leave it to the ambulance chasing lawyer to file the first lawsuit for a survivor and not one for a family who lost a loved one.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

MERIDEN, Connecticut (Reuters) - A $100 million claim on behalf of a 6-year-old survivor is the first legal action to come out of the Connecticut school shooting that left 26 children and adults dead two weeks ago.

The unidentified client, referred to as Jill Doe, heard "cursing, screaming, and shooting" over the school intercom when the gunman, 20-year-old Adam Lanza, opened fire, according to the claim filed by New Haven-based attorney Irv Pinsky.

"As a consequence, the ... child has sustained emotional and psychological trauma and injury, the nature and extent of which are yet to be determined," the claim said.

Pinsky said he filed a claim on Thursday with state Claims Commissioner J. Paul Vance Jr., whose office must give permission before a lawsuit can be filed against the state.

"We all know its going to happen again," Pinsky said on Friday. "Society has to take action."

Twenty children and six adults were shot dead on December 14 at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. The children were all 6 and 7 years old.

Pinsky's claim said that the state Board of Education, Department of Education and Education Commissioner had failed to take appropriate steps to protect children from "foreseeable harm."

It said they had failed to provide a "safe school setting" or design "an effective student safety emergency response plan and protocol."

Pinsky said he was approached by the child's parents within a week of the shooting.

The shooting, which also left the gunman dead, has prompted extensive debate about gun control and the suggestion by the National Rifle Association that schools be patrolled by armed guards. Police have said the gunman killed his mother at their home in Newtown before going to the school.

(Reporting by Mary Ellen Godin Editing by Ellen Wulfhorst)

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE8BS00L20121229?irpc=932

Edited by Lincolns mullet

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I hope the pathetic garbage who is suing and the lawyer .... Well, I can't say what I hope happens to them without getting banned.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I hope the pathetic garbage who is suing and the lawyer .... Well, I can't say what I hope happens to them without getting banned.

Yeah, how dare they claim any loss here! This is clearly a 2nd amendment issue after all!!! :wacko:

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

We have already established that the mullet gets all giddy and weak-kneed with some sick form of excitement at the thought of profiting from gun tragedies

You just described the NRA.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Yeah, how dare they claim any loss here! This is clearly a 2nd amendment issue after all!!! :wacko:

While you were sleeping, the Congress passed a federal law protecting firearms manufacturers from lawsuits stemming from the illegal use of their products.

The person is suing the right people...the administration that decided they needed a "gun free zone" to provide a ferile place for someone to shoot children until good guys with guns were called to arrive. I think every "gun free school" in the USA should be closed until they have a good guy with a gun there. How ridiculous that we pay for police to walk around our airports but nor protect our most precious asset. Total nonsense. we pay millions for defensive medicine to protect doctors from lawsuits but nothing to protect our children. The education dept sucks down billions like a black hole, does not provide education and the best they can do is provide a "free fire" zone for maniacs?

Perhaps lawsuits can get done what the legislators will not because they do not care about children, they care about a political agenda.

I hope there are a few hundred MORE claims like this so that other schools will provide police.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

duplicate topics merged

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

While you were sleeping, the Congress passed a federal law protecting firearms manufacturers from lawsuits stemming from the illegal use of their products.

Alot of people have been complaining about this but that law made perfect sense. As much as certain groups try to single out firearms as somehow special and unique, it is still a product sold commercially like any other product. Once you allow a manufacturer to be held liable for a third party misuse of a product (assuming the manufacturer follows all rules and regulations) it opens up the door for liability claims for anything. A motorist could sue GM after being hit by a chevy. A family could sue sony after a radio falls into the bathtub (assuming you live in an older home without GFI outlets in the bath).

Same issue for the liability insurance argument. A person might try to say that firearms are somehow different then a toaster but a courtroom will not be able to make that distinction.

Edited by Usui Takumi