pm5k

Timeline for parents and under-18 siblings?

16 posts in this topic

After obtaining US citizenship, it is my understanding that my wife can petition for her parents and siblings. It is a somewhat accepted reality that the processing time for siblings who are over the age of 18 is long (how long on average?)

How long, however, is the timeframe for parents? If one has siblings who are under 18, is their timeframe quicker than those over 18?

Obligatory disclaimer:  Not a lawyer.  Posts are written based on my own research and based on whatever information is provided.  Consult an immigration attorney regarding your specific case.

Parents would be classified as immediate relatives, and the process usually takes ~8 - 10 months, although being from Pakistan they could run into AP which may add on several months to the process.

Siblings of a US citizen are under the F4 preference, for which the current wait time is almost 11 years. It makes no difference how old they are, it's still 11 years.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Above is correct. One option some families take is to first petition for one parent only, let's say the dad. Dad then comes to the USA and right away petitions for his wife and minor children (waitingtime only 2-ish years, so shorter than a sibling petition).

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

After obtaining US citizenship, it is my understanding that my wife can petition for her parents and siblings. It is a somewhat accepted reality that the processing time for siblings who are over the age of 18 is long (how long on average?)

How long, however, is the timeframe for parents? If one has siblings who are under 18, is their timeframe quicker than those over 18?

ditto,

there is only one category for siblings, so it doesn't matter how old they are or if they are married or unmarried, the wait is the same for every sibling, no matter if they are 5 or 55, married or unmarried

parents are immediate relatives, siblings aren't

so it is best if you file for parents and they file for children under 21.

So of my mother in law were to come to the states, she could file for her children, which would save time. Would she have to become a citizen to file, or could she file as a permanent resident?

Obligatory disclaimer:  Not a lawyer.  Posts are written based on my own research and based on whatever information is provided.  Consult an immigration attorney regarding your specific case.

Timeline

So of my mother in law were to come to the states, she could file for her children, which would save time. Would she have to become a citizen to file, or could she file as a permanent resident?

as long as they are unmarried she can file for them. residents cannot file for married children

as long as they are unmarried she can file for them. residents cannot file for married children

Permanent residents can petition for immediate relatives? They don't have to become citizens first? Is there a time requirement (be a permanent resident for a certain amount of time first)?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Permanent residents can petition for immediate relatives? They don't have to become citizens first? Is there a time requirement (be a permanent resident for a certain amount of time first)?

they aren't considered immediate familiy. immediate family for immigration purposes are spouses, children under 21 and parents of a US Citizens

if they are under 21, they have almost 3 years of waiting, if the unmarried children are over 21 they have many years of waiting depending on what country they are from. from 8 to 25 years depending on the country of origin.

they aren't considered immediate familiy. immediate family for immigration purposes are spouses, children under 21 and parents of a US Citizens

And widow/ers.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Above is correct. One option some families take is to first petition for one parent only, let's say the dad. Dad then comes to the USA and right away petitions for his wife and minor children (waitingtime only 2-ish years, so shorter than a sibling petition).

Once the parent receives a green card, must they actually reside in the US full time, or can they travel around the world as desired?

so it is best if you file for parents and they file for children under 21.

can one file for their siblings AND also have their PR parent file for the same people? (I know, it sounds silly, but I am trying to learn how these things work)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Green Card = Legal permanent RESIDENT

More the better.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Once the parent receives a green card, must they actually reside in the US full time, or can they travel around the world as desired?

can one file for their siblings AND also have their PR parent file for the same people? (I know, it sounds silly, but I am trying to learn how these things work)

a person can have more than one petition at the same time

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

A legal permanent resident must reside in the USA. They can travel, but must show that they live in the USA. In general, they should spend more than half the year in the USA, have a home and bills here etc.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

• 1 year later...

Old thread, but I was revisiting this issue. Can one get a reentry permit while the F2A visa is in process?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.