SzhMli

Wedding Plans (Cancel?)

33 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I think it is absolutely inexcusable that USCIS cannot keep to a reasonably timed schedule to allow international couples to be comfortable making wedding plans according to their chosen schedule.

Immigration of a foreign spouse to the US is a privlidge not a right.

You have 90 days in which to make plans; what's wrong with that? We did it, took one day to go to the County Clerk and another day a week later to see the judge and we became married. Only witnesses were the judge, our 2 year old and the other couple that was there to be married just after us.

Was either of our family or friends unhappy about our plans? NO

Are our families and friends totally happy for us and our new family? YES for sure!

Do they understand the unique circumstances and requirements? YES

Do they particularly agree or like them? NO, but they understand. We had our "reception" later. They understood what we had to do and all are adult enough to also understand that our getting together and OUR happiness is most important, not what they would want to happen.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We pulled this off in 2009. We knew it was risky but we took a chance. Worse case scenario, you move the date and lose your deposits. Risk it or don't, its up to you and what you're comfortable with.

What part of Canada is your fiancee in? If she is in the west she will interview in Vancouver, which is very quick. But if she is east of Manitoba she will have her interview in Montreal. Montreal can be painfully slow depending on the time of the year and how busy they are... you may end up waiting 3 months for an interview date. So definitely watch time lines to give you an idea. If you wont make the date you will likely know months in advance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Man proposes, God disposes.

We got married on the day we NEVER planned or never entered in our thoughts, never had any reservations or made any deposits.

Now, we are married for 2 years!

Hey... the visa process is VERY unpredictable. Anything can happen to you or your fiance in between.

Suggestion:

Make reservations and deposits that YOU can change without additional fees.

Hope that works for you.

E

What part of Canada is your fiancee in? If she is in the west she will interview in Vancouver, which is very quick. But if she is east of Manitoba she will have her interview in Montreal. Montreal can be painfully slow depending on the time of the year and how busy they are... you may end up waiting 3 months for an interview date. So definitely watch time lines to give you an idea. If you wont make the date you will likely know months in advance.

Someone posted in the Canadian forums that the current wait time in Montreal is at 4 months for a K-1, the timelines seem to agree. At the current rate (which could easily change) Vermont + Montreal is 6 months + 4 months, that is 10 months, + NVC and packet 3 processing.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

I also want to point out that, even if VSC is the "slowest" office right now, it may not remain so for the duration of your application's wait. When I applied (also to VSC) it too was the "slowest" and by the time my petition was approved (a relatively quick more or less 4 months after we submitted it), it was spitting out acceptances right and left and the CSC was the "slowest." The waiting times do seem to fluctuate quite a bit.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I also want to point out that, even if VSC is the "slowest" office right now, it may not remain so for the duration of your application's wait. When I applied (also to VSC) it too was the "slowest" and by the time my petition was approved (a relatively quick more or less 4 months after we submitted it), it was spitting out acceptances right and left and the CSC was the "slowest." The waiting times do seem to fluctuate quite a bit.

I was about to say the same, however while VSC is behind at the moment this might interest you (referring to the OP, not you 'virola')

in the last 2 weeks, since the 25th of October, until right now approvals for K1 between the 2 service centres, based on VJ filers is:

CSC = 12

VSC = 70

so.. VSC is faster at the moment, and that could switch at any time.

CSC filers on VJ, have seen 1 approval this week so far. thats right. 1. for now.. be glad you are at VSC as they are going to catch up very quickly to CSC's rate of approval.

The point being, this is a very unpredictable process, if you choose to make arrangements now, request that your caterer etc be flexible with your dates, tell them upfront, you should have a better indication once you have your NOA2.

Edited by SweetDelish

N400

08 Mar 20: N400 filed online

14 Mar 20: Biometrics scheduled for 31 March - cancelled due to Covid19 shutdown.  

16 Dec 20: Biometrics

12 Feb 21: Interview (approved)

24 Feb 21: Oath Ceremony

ROC

31 Jul 15: ROC (I-751) sent

19 Jan 16: Greencard received

AOS

26 Feb 13: AOS (I-485, I-131, I-765) sent

06 Mar 13: NOA1's received

03 Apr 13: Biometrics completed

12 Sept 13: Interview - Memphis, approved!

Sept 13: Greencard received.

California Service Centre

17 May 12: I-129f sent

23 May 12: NOA1

20 Aug 12: NOA2 (89 days)

20 Nov 12: Interview in Sydney

29 Nov 12: Visa Issued

05 Dec 12: POE Honolulu

20 Dec 12: Wedding day

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I submitted our 129F this time last year - you can check my time line on how things played out. The NVC stage to interview took longer than we thought it would. We got married end of August. However, it was a civil ceremony that I did not plan until the visa was in hand. Honestly the process is stressful enough because so much of it is out of your control. There were so many things to take care of just getting my fiance here and settling in that I am glad I didn't have the stress of a big wedding to worry about on top of it.

K1 Visa                                                                 Adjustment of Status                                                             ROC

Service Center : California Service Center                        CIS Office : Kansas City MO Service Center                           California Service Center

Consulate : Bucharest, Romania

I-129F Sent : 2011-11-18                                 Date Filed : 2012-09-04 Date                            Filed: 2015-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-11-23                                      NOA Date : 2012-09-06                                                             NOA1 Date: 2015-05-28

I-129F RFE(s) : none                                              RFE(s) : NONE                                              RFE(s): NONE

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-04-12                                                 Bio. Appt. : 2012-10-03                                                              BIO. Appt.: 2015-09-15

NVC Received : 2012-04-26

NVC Left : 2012-05-10                                           EAD/AP Approved : 2012-11-08                             ROC APPROVED:2015-10-26      

Consulate Received : 2012-05-14                               EAD/AP Card Received : 2012-11-17                         Green card Received: 2015-11-04    

Packet 3 Received : 2012-05-17                                          Green card Approved : 2013-07-08                        NO INTERVIEW

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-05-20                                                    NO INTERVIEW

Interview Date : 2012-06-26                                                 Green Card Received : 2013-07-15

Interview Result : Approved                                                 

Visa Received : 2012-06-26                                                   

US Entry : 2012-07-05

Marriage : 2012-08-24

N-400 Naturalization:

04/25/2016 N-400 sent to USCIS AZ courier address thru FedEx

05/04/2106 NOA I-797 Receipt Notice Date
05/27/2016 Fingerprints Bio-metrics appointment date
06/08/2016 E-notification of interview scheduling
06/13/2016 Received official letter regarding interview
07/18/2016 Date of Interview
08/11/2016 Date Oath Ceremony
Field Office: Kansas City, MO

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

What about this option. If you can cross the border when ever you want as you are coming from Canada. Then why don't you go ahead with your plans for your wedding and depending on if you have your visa the wedding will be a symbolic one meaning you are just having the ceremony but it is not legal, and return to Canada to finish waiting. Then once you have your visa you can just go to the justice of the peace and make it legal. Just a suggestion.

This sounds potentially problematic when you have to start explaining to the CO that you only had a symbolic wedding and not a legal marriage. If they suspect you have gotten married, which has happened to others from what I have read here, they may reject the application. I would just suggest to postpone your plans, wait until you get the visa and then first have a civil wedding performed in order to fulfill the visa requirements and then plan your religious/spiritual wedding celebration since then you will have plenty of time to plan that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

This sounds potentially problematic when you have to start explaining to the CO that you only had a symbolic wedding and not a legal marriage. If they suspect you have gotten married, which has happened to others from what I have read here, they may reject the application. I would just suggest to postpone your plans, wait until you get the visa and then first have a civil wedding performed in order to fulfill the visa requirements and then plan your religious/spiritual wedding celebration since then you will have plenty of time to plan that.

:thumbs: married is married whether you call it legal or before the eyes of God...

Toni

07/17/2008.......WEDDING DAY!!!!
USCIS STAGE (for me):
06/09/2010.......SENT I-130 TO USCIS
06/15/2010.......NOA1 & RECEIPT DATE (CSC)
11/03/2010.......NOA2 Email received-APPROVED!!-141 days

NVC STAGE (for him):
11/08/2010.......NVC Case # Assigned
11/19/2010.......DS-3032 received via email
07/02/2011.......IV (DS-230) Package mailed//NVC Received-7/5/2011
07/14/2011........CASE COMPLETE!!!
07/15/2011........SIF!!!

EMBASSY STAGE (for us):
8/23/2011.........Medical-Part 1
8/24/2011.........Medical-Part 2(Completed!)
9/12/2011.........INTERVIEW @ 10:00AM - APPROVED!! (IR-1 Visa)

POE: DECEMBER 3rd, Washington, D.C. (IAD)!!!

1/10/2012........Green Card in Hand!
02/07/2012........Rec'd. Social Security Card

Naturalization Journey:

09-27-2016................Mailed N-400

11-03-2016................Biometrics

Notified 2/13/2017........2-8-2017.....Case Is In Line For An Interview

3/23/2017 @ 9AM......Interview

4/13/2017...................OATH CEREMONY!!

The situations I read on here were this was an issue was because the couple had actually gotten there marriage license however in their religion/culture that only meant they were engaged and it was not til they had their ceremony was it official. There for when the marriage license was submitted with there k1 visa petition of course it was denied as according to US law they were already married therefore did not qualify for that type of visa. That is not was I was suggesting here, as there would be no license to obtain, and nothing to explain because they are not legally married.

Our Journey
6/13/2012 Sent I-129F package
6/14/2012 NOA1 --> California Service Center
9/25/2012 NOA2
10/01/2012 NOA2 Hardcopy received
10/01/2012 NVC Received
10/19/2012 Left NVC
11/30/2012 Picked-up Packet from Local Post Office
01/16/2013 Medical
01/23/2013 Interview - In AP

09/24/2013 Visa picked-up from DOMEX
10/10/2013 POE Ft. Lauderdale

10/28/2013 Applied for Social Security Number

01/01/2014 WEDDING IN LAS VEGAS

heart_28.gif

Timeline

Yes I do agree with getting your deposit back. However, if your vendors are willing to work with you. There's plenty of time to move your date. Just remember that we are talking about a peek season for weddings.

Your answers were rude & not helpful at all!

I sent my paperwork in March 2012, through the CSC (where it goes depends on where you live, you have no control over that)... He received the visa in October, & we are getting married in December. My other VJ friends who had interviews on the same day had their paperwork routed through the VSC, & their timeline was a month or more longer than mine. That is a huge gamble to take, and one that's not recommended. It's a little harder planning a wedding in a short amount of time, but it's well worth it, & I can't wait!! Good luck during your process!!

Hi everyone. I just recently joined VJ and really appreciate all the help and knowledge that is provided on this site. I was hoping someone of you could give me some ideas about my situation. I am a naturalized US citizen who is trying to get my fiancée from Canada over here. I have submitted my I-129F packet to USCIS and just got notified it has been sent to VSC (which I'm not thrilled about, hearing their processing times).

Overall figure 9 months....so from this month, November, 2012, best bet would be July, 2013 to August, 2013.

Here is the problem: We have plans to get married August 24, 2013. Do you guys think it is even possible given the time constraints to get her K-1 visa and arrive in time or do you think we should just try to move the wedding to 2014?

Please keep in mind that we have made deposits already for the venue, photographer, caterer, and DJ.

No you keep in mind that you made all these deposits and may have to resked or cancel if you don't get the visa in time. It's you gamble alone.

I really just want to marry her as soon as possible so we can start our lives together but we're both losing sleep wondering if her K-1 visa will arrive in time. Any advice or suggestions are helpful!

Stop worrying or cancel all now.

event.png

event.png

Timeline

The situations I read on here were this was an issue was because the couple had actually gotten there marriage license however in their religion/culture that only meant they were engaged and it was not til they had their ceremony was it official. There for when the marriage license was submitted with there k1 visa petition of course it was denied as according to US law they were already married therefore did not qualify for that type of visa. That is not was I was suggesting here, as there would be no license to obtain, and nothing to explain because they are not legally married.

Do you really want to have to explain that to the official? You want to prove something you don't have (marriage license, wedding certificate). Then you want to explain to all your guests that they are invited to your non-wedding. It's best to avoid both the actual impropriety as well as the appearance of impropriety. In simple terms, keep it clean.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: El Salvador
Timeline

Thanks for all your advice, everyone! @Penguin, we had originally wanted to marry June 15, 2013 and had switched it to August 24, 2013 hoping it was enough time. Given what everyone is saying, it may be wise to move it to 2014 and get married at a Justice of the Peace in the meantime. I guess there is no way to expedite the process or have it moved to the California Service Center, huh?

We applied at the beginning of December last year, wanting to get married at the beginning of August. Interview didn't happen until September so we moved wedding back to Nov 10. He is actually scheduled to arrive on Nov. 10 so wedding is now Dec. 1. We had quite a few setbacks and I saw other cases go so much more smoothly, but the point is, ya just never know!

K-1:
06-08-09: MET
11-29-11: I-129F SENT
12-08-11: NOA1
05-14-12: RFE
06-04-12: NOA2 -- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
07-17-12: PACKET 3 RECEIVED VIA EMAIL
07-20-12: DS-156 SENT
07-31-12: PACKET 4 RECEIVED VIA EMAIL
08-27-12: MEDICAL EXAM
09-12-12: INTERVIEW!!!!!
09-12-12: 221g (MISSING 1 FORM)
09-17-12: DOCUMENT SENT
10-01-12: CALL FROM EMBASSY REQUESTING PASSPORT
10-01-12: PASSPORT SENT
10-30-12: EMAILED EMBASSY
11-05-12: EMAIL FROM EMBASSY VISA WILL BE READY 11-07-12!!!! (FINALLY!!!!)
11-08-12: VISA IN HAND!
11-10-12: ARRIVAL--POE DALLAS, TX
12-01-12: MARRIED biggrin.png

AOS:
01-31-13: SENT OUT AOS, EAD, AND AP APPLICATIONS
02-05-13: NOA1
03-13-13: BIOMETRICS
04-15-13: EAD/AP ARRIVES
04-25-13: INTERVIEW (PHOENIX) -- APPROVAL!!! kicking.gifbiggrin.pngdancin5hr.gif

ROC:

02-10-15: SENT OUT ROC APPLICATION

02-17-15: NOA1

03-19-15: BIOMETIRICS

09-04-15: NEW CARD IN PROCESS!! :dancing:

09-10-15: NOTIFICATION OF MAILING

09-12-15: CARD IN HAND

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.