akatheone

so is there any way out.

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Basically Im just beginning to wonder about the consequences of bringing someone here and getting married . Just wondering if it turns out the person is a fraud or what happens lets say both people just don't get along. Is that person basically gonna get a green card no matter what once u get married. I heard they can get it themself even if u didn't do aos . I know u can get it through vawa but Im not worried about that. Im more interested in what other circumstances can someone get a green card with out the petitioner filling for aos after being married or divorced and on a k1 visa.

Edited by akatheone

Filed: Timeline

Basically Im just beginning to wonder about the consequences of bringing someone here and getting married . Just wondering if it turns out the person is a fraud or what happens lets say both people just don't get along. Is that person basically gonna get a green card no matter what once u get married. I heard they can get it themself even if u didn't do aos . I know u can get it through vawa but Im not worried about that. Im more interested in what other circumstances can someone get a green card with out the petitioner filling for aos after being married or divorced and on a k1 visa.

Hmmm...interesting, I thought I had the answer but thenI reread the highlighted and I got thrown for a loop. Basically without a I-864 from the original petitioner I understand that the case dies a horrible quick death.

But I will sub this thread and learn something new I guess.

Do you think your future spouse is going to leave you once he/she marries you?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

once they are here its next to impossible to get them sent back. I will like to know what the stats are on getting people sent back because of fraud etc? I bet its less than 5%

4027-dil-ko-choo-jaye-gi-shayari-collection-heart_91.gif?d=1205939495

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I think the structure of your sentence makes it to where there's only one answer. If you first bring one to the US and then get married(meaning via the K1 route), then they cannot adjust their status based on any other than the original petitioner. Not unless there's a case of VAWA. Even then, the beneficiary has to show at least some proof of entering the marriage in good faith. The whole greencard application will be denied if the original fiance(e) (primary sponsor) doesn't send his/her affidavit of support regardless of having a joint sponsor.

In that case, the greencard holder can apply and get different benefits that the US spouse may be forced to pay back to the state/government because with the signature on the affidavit; they can.

Getting a greencard is somewhat easy(IMO) and there are US citizens being fooled for years by their fiance(e) in home country and then they don't change their behaviour until after they've arrived in the US or until they get greencard. If you're just asking out of curiousity, that's fine. But if there's more to it than that, I'd suggest you'll either have to trust your fiance(e), or you have to look into the red flags of being used before considering taking the next steps. Marriage is a commitment, so is being a primary sponsor.

Edited by moomin

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

it is a bit concerning that this could be a thought from somebody that has already initiated the process.

it would be prudent to know your partner before you commit to marriage regardless of whether or not this person is from a foreign nation or your home nation. odds are if you believe fraud could be the slightest bit involved, you don't know this person well enough to get married.

this is not an attack at all. i believe that things like this and folks rushing into the process without actually knowing if they are ready or compatible are the main cause for processing slow downs and such.

at the end of the day, get to know your partner before deciding to wed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process to General Immigration Discussion forum -- topic isn't about a specific visa process. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Actually, It sounds like a legitimate question and not a pre-cursor to any feelings being felt in advance of a fiancee coming over.

Sort of like the cold feet syndrome many go thru in marriage, their is that sliver of doubt that passes through ones mind. I'm sure whether we admit it or not publicly or privately, most if not all of us have thought the question

of what would be the repercussions should this be a well orchestrated ploy such as what others have unknowingly fallen into.

With the same thoughts in mind though, we also have to step backwards and look towards the "other side of the fence" and that is of the person coming here. For those already living stateside... Change places for a moment... Imagine having to uproot from everything familiar to you, say goodbye to friends and family, and going to a place where your unfamiliar, with your life packed into suitcases only, and hoping that those words that stoked the mind with dreams of a better life with someone you fell deeply in love with might easily be shattered by realizing (in after thought) that the person whom sponsored you, misrepresented himself.

This can be a two way street, so obviously their should be avenues to follow which allow safe passage and that continued plan for a better life.

The chats, the emails, the visits, the emotions, the "everything" about relationships and one that can continue thru thick and thin weight heavily on both those here and those there.

I dont think I have seen 'thread resources" out here that represent a type of "flow charted" answers to the different scenarios to which it may come to be.

I personally dont think their should be one either as it can open up a Pandora's box which allow others predefined answers on how and what to do / say to get their way

For all of us, were just hoping that it works out. We pray we make the right choice in our partner, and we have faith in one another thru the words, and acts already exhibited in the relationship prior to making this final

commitment.

I guess their is no real single answer or booklet for this... it's all so non-linear, just like life is :)

Sorry if i got so psychological on the answer, and for you to have read this to see i didnt give an answer to your question..

For all of us ready , and want to commit , we "dance the dance" and take the chance its the right choice

ed

it is a bit concerning that this could be a thought from somebody that has already initiated the process.

it would be prudent to know your partner before you commit to marriage regardless of whether or not this person is from a foreign nation or your home nation. odds are if you believe fraud could be the slightest bit involved, you don't know this person well enough to get married.

this is not an attack at all. i believe that things like this and folks rushing into the process without actually knowing if they are ready or compatible are the main cause for processing slow downs and such.

at the end of the day, get to know your partner before deciding to wed.

Timeline

The case of cold feet came from visiting this site ocasionally and reading stories of petitions that ended badly,, but thanks for everyones genuine answers to my question.

The case of cold feet came from visiting this site ocasionally and reading stories of petitions that ended badly,, but thanks for everyones genuine answers to my question.

You are going to hear horror stories. That is normal because not EVERYONE is in this process for the right intentions. It happens!

I look at it this way, bad things happen in marriages between two US citizens, it's a statistic. Bad things can happen in immigration based marriages as well! You take chances here OR there.

Relationships are based solidly on trust, love and commitment. Without these, you have nothing and it doesn't matter if your partner is 3 miles away or 9000.

Sorry to ramble BUT I understand how you feel and think it's normal to have doubts whether your engaged to a USC or a foreigner. Do what feels right and makes you happy!

:thumbs:

I believe that every marriage you enter you have to have faith that the decision you are making is the right one. Unfortunately it does not always work out that way. I have been often told that you really don't get to know a person until you have lived with them for a while. I think that is true. Obviously that is impossible unless you quit your job and go to their country and live with the person you are wanting to marry. Not practical if you have a job and a home here in the USA.

I also was unsure before I married my Filipino wife. When chatting with her every evening her time, I realized that she was raised in a home with very loving and good parents. I also was very happy that she was an elementary school teacher. Most teachers are loving and patient with others. Bottomline, I looked at what kind of person she was. How she showed respect to her father and mother. Everything played into my decision making.

2-1/2 years of marriage and 1-1/2 years of her being in the USA, I can tell you that I could not be any happier. She has far exceeded my expectations. I was very concerned before our marriage and in the beginning of our marriage because she is alot younger than me. It has not been an issue. I believe that she loves me much more now than when we first married and likewise.

I have also read a lot of horror stories about the person coming here and leaving their US spouse. It happens.

If you both have that special feeling about each other and you know when its special, then take that leap of faith.

Good Luck!

Edited by bestofboston

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The question is, why would you raise this question? Do your friends and relatives drill you with this or do you have doubts your self based on your fiance(e)'s behavior? The ironic thing is, you can marry somebody next door, whom you have known for years, and they can use you, strip you blind, and leave you out to dry. Or you can marry someone from the other end of the world and live happily ever after. I have heard and seen many cases of people bringing someone over from another country, who runs off immediately after the AOS approval. I have also seem many cases of people bringing someone over and melting into an inseparable one whole.

You need to ask your self a question whether YOU are sure of the other person's feelings and sincerity. If you hear others pounding garbage into your head, I'd say, "IGNORE IT". Always remember, that when things are working out for you, there will be a certain degree of envy around you. Follow your heart.

Good luck and best wishes!

Love your beautifully put answer!!! It actually brought some of my insecurities to light, and made me feel better. I'm soooo worried about my fiance, & what will happen when he gets here. Will he be miserable after leaving everything & everyone he knows just to be with me? Will he be able to adjust to the weather (gets to 30 below zero here sometimes, & never below 55 there)? Will he hate me after living with me? Will he hate the US lifestyle?.... Many questions. In the end, I am just trusting God & having faith that after knowing each other for 7 years, we are meant to be together, and everything will work out as God has planned. I know that it's not a ploy to get to the US for him (he backed out once before because of his fears of leaving his family etc), but that's not what I'm worried about. Once again, thank you for your answer!

Actually, It sounds like a legitimate question and not a pre-cursor to any feelings being felt in advance of a fiancee coming over.

Sort of like the cold feet syndrome many go thru in marriage, their is that sliver of doubt that passes through ones mind. I'm sure whether we admit it or not publicly or privately, most if not all of us have thought the question

of what would be the repercussions should this be a well orchestrated ploy such as what others have unknowingly fallen into.

With the same thoughts in mind though, we also have to step backwards and look towards the "other side of the fence" and that is of the person coming here. For those already living stateside... Change places for a moment... Imagine having to uproot from everything familiar to you, say goodbye to friends and family, and going to a place where your unfamiliar, with your life packed into suitcases only, and hoping that those words that stoked the mind with dreams of a better life with someone you fell deeply in love with might easily be shattered by realizing (in after thought) that the person whom sponsored you, misrepresented himself.

This can be a two way street, so obviously their should be avenues to follow which allow safe passage and that continued plan for a better life.

The chats, the emails, the visits, the emotions, the "everything" about relationships and one that can continue thru thick and thin weight heavily on both those here and those there.

I dont think I have seen 'thread resources" out here that represent a type of "flow charted" answers to the different scenarios to which it may come to be.

I personally dont think their should be one either as it can open up a Pandora's box which allow others predefined answers on how and what to do / say to get their way

For all of us, were just hoping that it works out. We pray we make the right choice in our partner, and we have faith in one another thru the words, and acts already exhibited in the relationship prior to making this final

commitment.

I guess their is no real single answer or booklet for this... it's all so non-linear, just like life is :)

Sorry if i got so psychological on the answer, and for you to have read this to see i didnt give an answer to your question..

For all of us ready , and want to commit , we "dance the dance" and take the chance its the right choice

ed

event.png

event.png

Timeline

:) :) :)

thank uuuu :)

Love your beautifully put answer!!! It actually brought some of my insecurities to light, and made me feel better. I'm soooo worried about my fiance, & what will happen when he gets here. Will he be miserable after leaving everything & everyone he knows just to be with me? Will he be able to adjust to the weather (gets to 30 below zero here sometimes, & never below 55 there)? Will he hate me after living with me? Will he hate the US lifestyle?.... Many questions. In the end, I am just trusting God & having faith that after knowing each other for 7 years, we are meant to be together, and everything will work out as God has planned. I know that it's not a ploy to get to the US for him (he backed out once before because of his fears of leaving his family etc), but that's not what I'm worried about. Once again, thank you for your answer!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.