chaine1

Establishing Credit (Quickly?)

32 posts in this topic

Jan 2010 is almost 3 years ago. Have you checked his credit report yet and make sure that there are no outstanding loans aside from the tax lien?

Tax liens stay on your credit report for seven years after they're paid off.

Edited by alizon

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

He had a report from Experian. I'm not sure if it reported everything? It's only when I saw that did I find out about the lien. He didn't even know what a lien was. lol. It's really not funny, but I'm going to laugh it off since my interview is tomorrow. He has been trying to rectify it though, so that's all that matters now. Is there any way to get a lien withdrawn? I saw you can at the federal level, but I think his is actually either state or municipal (county?) or however the US categorizes that.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hmm. What bank is likely to give secured credit to him with his bad credit?

Usually there are credit cards that are considered secured that he will probably get due to the fact that he'd put a deposit down as his credit limit. At this point that's probably the only way he can get a credit card. Well you never know.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit_cards/secured/

Try this card for example.

Good Luck!! blush.gif

USCIS

03/31/2012: I-129F sent to Dallas Lockbox

04/03/2012: I-129F recieved and sent to VSC

04/06/2012: NOA1 text/email.

04/09/2012: Touched.

04/12/2012: NOA1 hardcopy.

09/06/2012: Service request placed- They advised I should hear something by 9/21

09/17/2012: Received letter from USCIS just to be told i'm within' normal processing time bleh.

10/03/2012: NOA2 text received - Best part is it's our 2nd year anniversary!! Great Gift! :)

Sydney Consulate

10/21/2012: Packet 3 Received

11/30/2012: Sent packet 3

12/27/2012: Received packet 4 Interview date :)

01/22/2013: Medical completed

02/05/2013: Interview date status: APPROVED 306 Days!!

02/22/2013: Visa in Hand

02/24/2013: POE- Dallas, TX- then connecting flight home!

Total Time it took to complete our K1 process- 10 months and 3 weeks!!! INSANE! (325 days)

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

He had a report from Experian. I'm not sure if it reported everything?

It should report everything. But usually they look at the past 12 months. Lots of people filed for bankruptcy, did a principal reduction on their home, or short sold their homes during the last 4 years. But they get issued credit card still after having good history for the past 12 months. They tend to have higher interest rates but it's credit still.

Is there any way to get a lien withdrawn? I saw you can at the federal level, but I think his is actually either state or municipal (county?) or however the US categorizes that.

It looks like he can have it taken out from his credit report. http://news.yahoo.com/tax-lien-negatively-affect-credit-score-remain-credit-211619858.html

Check this out, http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/usbanking/creditcards.html. You shouldn't have a problem obtaining one since they will look at your Canadian credit history. Once approved for the card and you're married, you can add your husband as an authorized user.

RBC Bank® Visa Platinum – U.S. Dollar (Issued in the United States by RBC Bank)

Anyone who is a full or part-time resident of the U.S. or is looking to build their U.S. credit history.

Good luck to your interview!

===========================

2008-08-16 Sent N-400

2008-08-18 Application Received

2008-08-19 Check Cashed

2008-09-18 Biometrics

2008-12-09 Interview

2009-01-XX Oath (Yay! I'm a citizen)

==========================

07/19 - NOA2 approval

08/20 - Case received at NVC

08/23 - emailed DS-3022

08/25 - mailed AOS

08/27 - received AOS

08/31 - AOS Accepted

09/04 - Received confirmation of DS-3022

09/05 - Received IV invoice

09/05 - Pay IV bill

09/06 - IV showed as paid

09/06 - Send DS-230 packet

09/10 - Received DS-230 packet by NVC

09/17 - DS-230 Accepted/Case Complete

09/28 - Transfer to Manila Embassy

10/02 - Medical Exam at St. Luke's

10/08- 10/10 - Sputum Test

10/09 - Received by Manila Embassy

10/12 - Result of Sputum Test (Need to repeat)

10/16-10/18 - Repeat Sputum Test (Negative)

12/13 - Sputum Final Result (Negative)

12/21 - Interview at Embassy (Approved)

12/28 - Visa Picked Up from 2GO

12/28 - CFO

12/30 - POE (LAX)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

My husband and I just bought a house- at first it seemed like there were no issues with his good credit score (but lack of history). Ever mortgage company is different but a few days before closing they asked for something that was independent for him- since our rent included everything we didn't have anything and he just graduated from his home country so had nothing there.

I would suggest having the immigrant get some type of bill in there name if you plan to purchase a house in the future as well- it all worked out but the stress of last minute requests that do not exist on top of everything else was scary.

Just wanted to give some advice for those in the future.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

The same happened to me. Wifey (the USC) added me to her credit card (she herself has stellar credit), and within two months, when we went to buy a new car last month and I applied as the owner of the car [with her as a co-owner], they ran a credit score on both of us and I scored at 730.

I am now getting frequent mail for pre-approved credit card offers!

It works for some, it worked for me, may not work for everyone.

AOS, ROC, N-400, & PASSPORT, FOR HUSBAND TO USC

[02/23, 2012]  - DAY 001  (day 0001) (AOS) Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[06/01, 2012]  - 
DAY 099  (day 0099) 2-year Conditional GC in hand
[05/05, 2014]  - DAY 001  (day 0802) (ROC) Mailed package to Vermont Service Center via USPS overnight

[05/14, 2014]  - DAY 009  (day 0811) Received NOA1 (GC Extended for 1 year)

[01/14, 2016]  - DAY 620  (day 1421) 10-year GC in hand

[02/22, 2017]  - DAY 001  (day 1826) (N-400) Mailed package to Lewisville, TX, via USPS overnight

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 323  (day 2149) (N-400) Naturalization Oath Ceremony (5 years, 10 months, 19 days)

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 001  (day 2149) (US Passport) Applied for US Passport, regular processing

01/25, 2018]  - DAY 015  (day 2164) (US Passport) Passport in hand (5 years, 11 months, 3 days from start of Journey.)

AOS, N-400, & PASSPORT FOR DAUGHTER [OF HUSBAND TO USC]

[06/14, 2013] - DAY 001 Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[11/21, 2013] - Day 153 SSN and 10-year GC in hand

09/01, 2021]  - (day 3001) (US Passport) Passport in hand (8 years, 2 months, 18 days from start of Journey.)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. Psalm 127:1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Pretty soon after arriving, we started trying to establish credit for my husband - we got him a secured credit card, and I added him as an authorized user on one of my credit cards.
The same happened to me. Wifey (the USC) added me to her credit card (she herself has stellar credit), and within two months, when we went to buy a new car last month and I applied as the owner of the car [with her as a co-owner], they ran a credit score on both of us and I scored at 730.

I am now getting frequent mail for pre-approved credit card offers!

It works for some, it worked for me, may not work for everyone.

Question:

Were you added as an authorized user or joint-account holder? If you were added as only an authorized user, did the credit card company ask for SSN? I've added my husband as an authorized user, not as joint-account holder. They didn't ask for any of his credentials so I'm not sure what effect, if any, it will have on his credit.

I-129F sent July 16, 2011

NOA1 - July 21, 2011

NOA2 - December 8, 2011 (text & email with hardcopy to follow)

Packet 3 - January 5, 2012

Medical - February 20, 2012

Packet 3 sent to Embassy - February 20, 2012

Interview Date - March 27, 2012 - Approved

POE - Atlanta, GA 7/6/2012

Married! - 8/11/2012

AOS Filed - 9/14/2012

AOS NOA1 Priority Date - 9/19/2012

Biometrics Appt. - 10/10/2012

EAD/AP approval - 11/28/2012

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi all,

I just wanted to report something that may be of interest/help to new immigrants trying to establish credit.

My husband and I (the USC) arrived back in the USA in late July of this year (we both were living abroad in a third country). I am back in school as a PhD student, and my husband has thankfully found reasonable employment (not as good as hoped, but still very happy he found something very quickly).

Pretty soon after arriving, we started trying to establish credit for my husband - we got him a secured credit card, and I added him as an authorized user on one of my credit cards.

We are interested in buying a house, but assumed we were pretty much out of luck, with me earning pittance as a grad student, and my husband with no credit. However, we decided to meet with a loan officer just to get an idea of our options, and what we should do to insure we could be in a house within a few years.

The loan officer decided to run credit score checks on both of us, and to everyone's surprise, my husband's score came back as a 690 (about average). In looking at the report, the loan officer said the only reason he scored as high as he did is because I added him as an authorized user on my account.

I had no idea that doing so would influence his score so much. In fact, I was under the assumption that this would have a very small to no effect. But low and behold, after only being in the USA for 2 and a half months, he is scoring high enough to qualify for a home loan.

I know this may not work for everyone, but I wanted to share our experience, in case it is able to help others out. We were both quite surprised by this development.

Good luck to everyone!

Very nice of you to share this experience.thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Hi all,

I just wanted to report something that may be of interest/help to new immigrants trying to establish credit.

My husband and I (the USC) arrived back in the USA in late July of this year (we both were living abroad in a third country). I am back in school as a PhD student, and my husband has thankfully found reasonable employment (not as good as hoped, but still very happy he found something very quickly).

We are interested in buying a house, but assumed we were pretty much out of luck, with me earning pittance as a grad student, and my husband with no credit. However, we decided to meet with a loan officer just to get an idea of our options, and what we should do to insure we could be in a house within a few years.

The loan officer decided to run credit score checks on both of us, and to everyone's surprise, my husband's score came back as a 690 (about average). In looking at the report, the loan officer said the only reason he scored as high as he did is because I added him as an authorized user on my account.

I had no idea that doing so would influence his score so much. In fact, I was under the assumption that this would have a very small to no effect. But low and behold, after only being in the USA for 2 and a half months, he is scoring high enough to qualify for a home loan.

I know this may not work for everyone, but I wanted to share our experience, in case it is able to help others out. We were both quite surprised by this development.

Good luck to everyone!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Getting a home loan these days is not an east task. Any good bank or mortgage broker must adhere to some very stringent standards. It's not just about credit scores. If you are a first time home buyer, there are some options open to you. A reduced interest rate and smaller down payment, such as only as little as 3% compared to 30% percent in many cases. However, that means a much larger monthly payment. So, in short, you need to have some cash to put down, prove you can meet monthly payments ( including taxes and insurance) and most likely show that these payments will be at or lower than 30% of your gross monthly income.A good credit score only means that you paid prior bills on time. But if they were small credit card payments, as an example, that does not show you can handle a much larger mortgage. You can go to creditkarma.com and review your credit score for free any time you want, but again, that is only a small part of the overall home loan underwriting. Proving a strong, steady income, at the same company, for several years, is the strongest position you can bring to the table.

Getting a home loan these days is not an east task. Any good bank or mortgage broker must adhere to some very stringent standards. It's not just about credit scores. If you are a first time home buyer, there are some options open to you. A reduced interest rate and smaller down payment, such as only as little as 3% compared to 30% percent in many cases. However, that means a much larger monthly payment. So, in short, you need to have some cash to put down, prove you can meet monthly payments ( including taxes and insurance) and most likely show that these payments will be at or lower than 30% of your gross monthly income.A good credit score only means that you paid prior bills on time. But if they were small credit card payments, as an example, that does not show you can handle a much larger mortgage. You can go to creditkarma.com and review your credit score for free any time you want, but again, that is only a small part of the overall home loan underwriting. Proving a strong, steady income, at the same company, for several years, is the strongest position you can bring to the table.

Yes, true. I did not mean to suggest that a good credit score was the only thing needed in the home buying process. I was merely reporting that we had been successful in increasing my husband's score in a way I did not know was possible.

Question:

Were you added as an authorized user or joint-account holder? If you were added as only an authorized user, did the credit card company ask for SSN? I've added my husband as an authorized user, not as joint-account holder. They didn't ask for any of his credentials so I'm not sure what effect, if any, it will have on his credit.

I honestly don't remember if they asked for his SSN. He was added as only an authorized user. I did not add him as a joint account holder. The account is with Chase Bank, if that helps at all.

Edited by chaine1

USCIS Stage

February 17th, 2012 - NOA1 Email

March 1st, 2012 - NOA2 Email (USC residing abroad)

NVC Stage

March 12th 2012 - Received

March 21st, 2012 - Case Number received

April 20th, 2012 - Case Closed

May 1st, 2012 - Interview scheduled

Embassy

May 29th, 2012 - Interview - Approved!

June 6th, 2012 - Passport with visa delivered

July 29th, 2012 - POE together in Houston

August 6th, 2012 - Social Security Card Received

August 16th, 2012 - Green Card Received

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I'll give an example of simply adding your spouse as an authorized user does nothing to build their credit. After my wife and I got married (but prior to her arrival in the US) I added her as an authorized user to both of my credit cards. After her arrival and when we were trying to get her a cell phone, no provider would offer her a contract because she had no credit history.

The account is with Chase Bank, if that helps at all.

The bank the account is with could very well be a determining factor, none of my credit card accounts are with Chase.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I really didn't think just adding him as an authorized user would do anything toward building his credit here. Since it isn't tied to anything but his name(i.e. SSN) there would be no way to attach anything to his credit profile. I'm sure there are quite a few people with my husband's name out there.

I can't imagine anything that doesn't require some sort of credentials, SSN specifically, would build any credit. I'm in the process of adding him as a joint-account holder.

I-129F sent July 16, 2011

NOA1 - July 21, 2011

NOA2 - December 8, 2011 (text & email with hardcopy to follow)

Packet 3 - January 5, 2012

Medical - February 20, 2012

Packet 3 sent to Embassy - February 20, 2012

Interview Date - March 27, 2012 - Approved

POE - Atlanta, GA 7/6/2012

Married! - 8/11/2012

AOS Filed - 9/14/2012

AOS NOA1 Priority Date - 9/19/2012

Biometrics Appt. - 10/10/2012

EAD/AP approval - 11/28/2012

I really didn't think just adding him as an authorized user would do anything toward building his credit here. Since it isn't tied to anything but his name(i.e. SSN) there would be no way to attach anything to his credit profile. I'm sure there are quite a few people with my husband's name out there.

I can't imagine anything that doesn't require some sort of credentials, SSN specifically, would build any credit. I'm in the process of adding him as a joint-account holder.

From what I read when we were having this conversation earlier on another thread, banks only need a name and address to report credit information. SSN just provides another layer of confirmation that they have the right person, which obviously is preferable, but not necessary. It's up to their discretion whether they report authorized user information to credit bureaus, so some likely do and others don't.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Question:

Wifey added me as a joint account holder. Yes they asked for my ssn. They said if I don't provide ssn I can be added as an authorized user but it will not be of any use or benefit in building my credit. They sent us a form to fill.

You need to call them and tell them you want your husband as a joint-account holder. What happens is that the credit history of that particular account migrates to his credit history [if he is a joint account holder] - at least that seems to be what happened to me.

AOS, ROC, N-400, & PASSPORT, FOR HUSBAND TO USC

[02/23, 2012]  - DAY 001  (day 0001) (AOS) Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[06/01, 2012]  - 
DAY 099  (day 0099) 2-year Conditional GC in hand
[05/05, 2014]  - DAY 001  (day 0802) (ROC) Mailed package to Vermont Service Center via USPS overnight

[05/14, 2014]  - DAY 009  (day 0811) Received NOA1 (GC Extended for 1 year)

[01/14, 2016]  - DAY 620  (day 1421) 10-year GC in hand

[02/22, 2017]  - DAY 001  (day 1826) (N-400) Mailed package to Lewisville, TX, via USPS overnight

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 323  (day 2149) (N-400) Naturalization Oath Ceremony (5 years, 10 months, 19 days)

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 001  (day 2149) (US Passport) Applied for US Passport, regular processing

01/25, 2018]  - DAY 015  (day 2164) (US Passport) Passport in hand (5 years, 11 months, 3 days from start of Journey.)

AOS, N-400, & PASSPORT FOR DAUGHTER [OF HUSBAND TO USC]

[06/14, 2013] - DAY 001 Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[11/21, 2013] - Day 153 SSN and 10-year GC in hand

09/01, 2021]  - (day 3001) (US Passport) Passport in hand (8 years, 2 months, 18 days from start of Journey.)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. Psalm 127:1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.