MedRoni

Embassy marked case as a "No Show" after husband attended interview

19 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

OK... so up until my husbands interview at the embassy our immigration process has gone fairly smooth. Of course it has taken a very long time, but no real issues along the way. During the I-130 process they requested a more legible copy of my birth certificate - but that's it. He went in for his interview at the embassy in Algiers on 8/28. It went fairly well overall, however we knew there were a few red flags as I had been married before, we met online and he is 8 years younger then myself. They asked him very little about myself and our relationship - and only looked at some pictures and a notarized letter from his father. They did not look at anything else of our very thick file of proof of relationship. They did ask him a lot about his family, work, etc. At the end they told him he was not eligible for a visa today, not yet. But we need to keep your pictires and letter from your father". They handed him his passport back and told him to have a nice day - no colored slip, no paperwork with a denial, or status... nothing.

I tried emailing the embassy to find out if he was denied (and file going back to the US) or if he was put in Administrative Processing. One month later, seven emails and constant attempts to reach them by phone has produced no answer.I got my State Senator involved - and they have not been able to get an answer either way yet as well.

So I called the Department of State's visa line. They told me yes, he was in fact in Administrative Processing and the case was "pending"... GREAT!!! Until.....

I just called back this morning for an update and they told me the system shows he was a "No Show" for his interview!?!?! I called in two separate times to check in hopes the first one was pulled up incorrectly but no. So now what - NOTHING has been done since then I assume? And how can it say one thing one day, and change another day?

Has anyone heard of this or had it happen?!? They have his fingerprints, medical exam and case notes all at the embassy - however no one can get through to get this fixed. I am tempted to go over there myself and show up at the embassy, however I am not sure they would see me as a "drop in". I can't make an appointment because I can't reach anyone. Even the DOS is trying. It is so frustrating no one from the US can even reach our own embassy in Algeria.

Any thoughts or ideas?!? :blink: :blink:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Call the "American citizen" side of the embassy where citizen in passport distress etc go for help and get someone there to maybe "put you through" to the consulate side.

Put pressure on your (2)senators and your congressman to get it resolved, the senator seems too blah about it.

Try emailing the embassy if you haven't done so.

Can your husband go inside again to speak to someone there ?

Keep calling DOS and insist on getting the matter resolved and to send an inquiry to the CO.

Keep a paper trail of your inquiries.

Hope someone comes up with other ideas who is familiar with your consulate.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Timeline

Call the "American citizen" side of the embassy where citizen in passport distress etc go for help and get someone there to maybe "put you through" to the consulate side.

Put pressure on your (2)senators and your congressman to get it resolved, the senator seems too blah about it.

Try emailing the embassy if you haven't done so.

Can your husband go inside again to speak to someone there ?

Keep calling DOS and insist on getting the matter resolved and to send an inquiry to the CO.

Keep a paper trail of your inquiries.

Hope someone comes up with other ideas who is familiar with your consulate.

Thank you so much for the help!

I have emailed the embassy 8 times now, with only one reply telling me they received them, no other answer or info. I like the idea of calling the "American citizen" side. I thought maybe I shouldn't because I am not there or in trouble - but now maybe since you suggested it too I will try. What are they going to do I guess... hang up on me at worst?

My husband definitely can go back in anytime, it is a 7 hour bus ride away - but I am afraid they will not let him in without an appointment. Maybe that is just worth a try too. At this point anything is worth it. I am just saying... they REALLY don't want ME showing up on their doorstep! :yes:

Thanks again so much, I really do greatly appreciate it!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
I like the idea of calling the "American citizen" side. I thought maybe I shouldn't because I am not there or in trouble - but now maybe since you suggested it too I will try. What are they going to do I guess... hang up on me at worst?
When we were being blown off in Ecuador, I finally phoned the USC side and asked to be transferred. They said, "We're not supposed to do that." I said that they should and would, because I was a U.S. citizen and no one was going to deny my request. (I was prepared to ask for name & position, if any flak were forthcoming.) I further stressed that I was to be transferred to an American who was physically at his desk and present to answer the phone.

I was placed on hold for perhaps 7 minutes before someone came on. It was the head of the IV Visa Unit himself. He was neither gruff nor cordial, but he didn't blow me off, and after I followed the procedure (in this case, sending an e-mail with "For Chief ____" in the subject line), we got some action.

Whether we're blown off at the interview or afterwards, we need to play the "American citizen" card. No Foreign Service National (the locals who help at the consulate) have the right or the power to hose us, and this needs to be emphasized to them.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

When we were being blown off in Ecuador, I finally phoned the USC side and asked to be transferred. They said, "We're not supposed to do that." I said that they should and would, because I was a U.S. citizen and no one was going to deny my request. (I was prepared to ask for name & position, if any flak were forthcoming.) I further stressed that I was to be transferred to an American who was physically at his desk and present to answer the phone.

I was placed on hold for perhaps 7 minutes before someone came on. It was the head of the IV Visa Unit himself. He was neither gruff nor cordial, but he didn't blow me off, and after I followed the procedure (in this case, sending an e-mail with "For Chief ____" in the subject line), we got some action.

Whether we're blown off at the interview or afterwards, we need to play the "American citizen" card. No Foreign Service National (the locals who help at the consulate) have the right or the power to hose us, and this needs to be emphasized to them.

You have convinced me - thank you!

I have no problem being assertive and if that's what it takes I have no issues. I know their weekend is Fri/Sat so I will try this first thing Sunday morning their time. It's nice to see others succeed and share. Thanks for the help! :)

Timeline

OK Update...

You guys were so right, or so it seems so far!

I called the American Citizen side, he told me he cannot transfer me to the consulate section. I told him they have screwed up and entered my husband as a no show for his interview... I cannot get through by phone and I have emailed eight times. I insisted I speak to a live body that can help me. He transferred me with a very brief wait.

Apparently the lady he transferred me to has seen all of my emails and knew who I was. She spent almost 45 minutes on the phone with me asking details about my husbands interview, clearing up anything I wanted to tell her... she asked me questions and basically interviewed me then apologized profusely for the lack of response to date. She said there are only two of them and it is no excuse, but it is what it is.

She promised to get back to me next week and gave me a way to contact her directly. I once again have hope!

Thanks guys for the support. You rock~! :star:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

OK Update...

You guys were so right, or so it seems so far!

I called the American Citizen side, he told me he cannot transfer me to the consulate section. I told him they have screwed up and entered my husband as a no show for his interview... I cannot get through by phone and I have emailed eight times. I insisted I speak to a live body that can help me. He transferred me with a very brief wait.

Apparently the lady he transferred me to has seen all of my emails and knew who I was. She spent almost 45 minutes on the phone with me asking details about my husbands interview, clearing up anything I wanted to tell her... she asked me questions and basically interviewed me then apologized profusely for the lack of response to date. She said there are only two of them and it is no excuse, but it is what it is.

She promised to get back to me next week and gave me a way to contact her directly. I once again have hope!

Thanks guys for the support. You rock~! :star:

Hope everything works out for you. Since they marked him as a no-show, do you have any proof that he was indeed there?

06/02/12 Married

USCIS

09/17/12 I-130 sent
09/21/12 NOA1 recieved via e-mail (CSC)

09/27/12 NOA1 hardcopy recieved
09/27/12 Case transferred to another office for processing (Jurisdiction)
10/03/12 Received notice of transfer. Transferred to NBC in Missouri
10/03/12 Checked USCIS.gov/Notice of transfer to another USCIS office for processing
12/19/12 NOA2!!!!!

01/07/2013 NVC recieves the case
01/24/2013 Got the Case and IIN #
01/24/2012 E-mailed DS-3032

01/24/2013 AOS bill invoiced
02/07/2013 DS-3032 e-mail accepted
04/15/2013 AOS and IV fees payed

05/15/2013 AOS and IV packages sent

05/29/2013 CASE COMPLETE

06/04/2013 Interview date set for July 30th 2013

07/27/2013 Medical completed

07/30/2013 Interview APPROVED!!!!!

event.png

Timeline

Hope everything works out for you. Since they marked him as a no-show, do you have any proof that he was indeed there?

Not really... they took everything, his medical exam paperwork, fingerprints, etc. He said they had workers replacing a door that day if that knowledge helped. I am sure they would have video tapes if needed. I finally just got through by phone by being a little (ok, A LOT) 'Aggressive" :whistle: and she was able to confirm she shows he was actually there. She said it must have been an entry error between them and the state department. She is looking in to see what she can do to help move this along quicker and will get back to me by the end of next week since the original interviewer is on vacation until Wed.

Thank you so much for the well wishes, we can use as many as we can get right now!

Not really... they took everything, his medical exam paperwork, fingerprints, etc. He said they had workers replacing a door that day if that knowledge helped. I am sure they would have video tapes if needed. I finally just got through by phone by being a little (ok, A LOT) 'Aggressive" :whistle: and she was able to confirm she shows he was actually there. She said it must have been an entry error between them and the state department. She is looking in to see what she can do to help move this along quicker and will get back to me by the end of next week since the original interviewer is on vacation until Wed.

Thank you so much for the well wishes, we can use as many as we can get right now!

For what it's worth, I called DOS three days after a "tentatively" approved interview where the computers were down and they said it would be slightly delayed until they got the system restored. The DOS lady said, "It says here that he was a no-show, Honey. What happened? Why didn't he go to his interview?" So it happens where something gets ticked wrong.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Yay ! Some movement ! I am a fan of being assertive - though I truly hate 'the shift' required to get a human to focus on YER casefile, always.

It's so worth it, to get to the right human.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Yay ! Some movement ! I am a fan of being assertive - though I truly hate 'the shift' required to get a human to focus on YER casefile, always.

It's so worth it, to get to the right human.

Boy you got that right!

I don't like having to be assertive, however she knew exactly who I was when I called which is good and bad. Good because she knew I had been trying to reach someone for so long which means she saw all my emails coming in... and bad because she knew I had been trying to reach someone for so long which means she ignored my emails coming in.

She did give me some valuable information though as far as the internal workings there. She said they are currently still working on cases that have been at the embassy since May for AP. So I guess a 5 month wait is not out of the question, ugh. Although I am hoping my 45 minute phone call with her might help persuade her to move faster ;)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

This is very positive news, all considered. Keep the faith, si man!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

its crazy, i have been trying contact them for my family visas ,they never answer my emails, i cant call, and when i called the embassy they dont wnat forward me to the cosular section.

Timeline

UPDATE - so apparently all your advise here from all paid off - thank you so much... I received a letter/email from my Senators office today with an update from the embassy. The email reply from the embassy stated:

"“We have been in contact with the petitioner by telephone and will be following up on the case this week. At present, there appears to be no issues and we believe it will be issued within the next week or so”

So... getting through to them by phone was the key, also letting them know a mistake was made on their end and that I tried getting it corrected for a month with no answers from them. Once I got her on the phone she spent the 45 minutes with me getting to know us and our situation. 5-7 month AP averted! :wow:

Looks like there is an incredible chance he will be here before months end, inshallah! This is what it's all about... :yes:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.