Lisa and Steven

Confused about this RFE! Do we need to do another medical?

25 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone! So we got home today to find we have a RFE letter in the mail. We are looking over the letter trying to understand what they need from us. Did my Civil Surgeon do something wrong on our I-693 form or have they lost our full medical what i did in London? Another thing, we already sent our marriage certificate we got from the Records Office but they want a another one. Confused.com help? Thanks Everyone!

MEDICAL EXAMINATION AND VACCINATION:

All medical examinations and vaccinations must be conducted and administered by a physician who is on the list of civil surgeons approved by USCIS. To obtain the names and telephone numbers of the designated civil surgeons in the applicant's geograpical area, call USCIS' National customer service center at 1-800-375-5283. The applicant will be asked to provide his/her zip code. To view a list of civil surgeons online, go to the USCIS website at: www.uscis.gov, click on FORMS, " scroll down and click on form I-693," on the right side of the page, click on find a Civil surgeon, then enter the applicant's Zip code.

All medical examinations must be submitted in an unopened envelope that has been sealed by the civil surgeon.

A review of the record indicates that the applicant entered the United States with a Vaild K-1 Nonimmigrant visa.

The record shows that the applicant submitted a copy of the medical examination and vaccination record with the filing of the I-485 application, However, the medical examination was not properly completed by the Civil Surgeon.

NEW FORM I-693: As such, the applicant is required to submit a new Form I-693, Report of medical examination and vaccination record, that is properly completed and signed. The newest version of form I-693 includes the medical information as well as the vaccination record, Uner new agency guidance, applicants two years of age or older are required to either have a tuberculin skin test or new blood test interferon gamma release assays or IGRA performed.

It shall be noted that the center for disease control has added futher vaccinaton requirements to its technical instructions for vaccination. These new age-specific vaccines include rotavirus, hepatitis A and meningococcal, which are required if the medical examination was conducted by the civil surgeon on or after August 01, 2008. Therefore if the medical exam was conducted on or after that date, the new vaccinations, if age-appropriate, must be administered for the applicant to meet adustment of status requirements. The results of these newly-required vaccinations should be documented on form I-693 (10/14/09 revision date, or after). Also, for the vaccination documentation to be compete, the civil surgeon must complete the vaccination table and the results section on page 4 of the form.

MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE:

Submit a copy of the marriage cerificate between the petitioner and the beneficiary of the fiancee' visa.

It appears the CS messed up. Please tell us what you had them do. Was it in a sealed envelope? Did you do a whole new medical?

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

He just completed the vaccinations on the i-693 form. He did seal the envelope. This is why we are confused by what is wrong. 3a

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

just my thought.i'm sure you were given your personal copy of the I-693 from your civil surgeon. maybe you can bring that with you back to your civil surgeon and show the civil surgeon the RFE and both of you work it out what was wrong with the I-693 form that the USCIS wasn't satisfied with it.just my two cents. good luck.

as1cHr40g410000MTU3bHN8MDQ1MTAzNGx8c2luY2Ugd2UgbWV0IGluIG1hdGNo.gif

as1cJK60g410000MDAwMDEwN2x8MDE1NWxzfHNpbmNlIHdlIGZvdW5kIG91ciBsb3Zl.gif

event.png

as1cJYl0g410010MDAwNTQ2NnN8MDE1NnN8c2luY2Ugd2VkZGluZyBkYXk.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

just my thought.i'm sure you were given your personal copy of the I-693 from your civil surgeon. maybe you can bring that with you back to your civil surgeon and show the civil surgeon the RFE and both of you work it out what was wrong with the I-693 form that the USCIS wasn't satisfied with it.just my two cents. good luck.

Usually, it's only the vaccination sheet that's given a copy of. That's called DS3025. The civil surgeon did indeed mess up since he/she is supposed to fill out all papers, not just the vaccination sheet. If he/she didn't take notes of the rest, it wouldn't make sense to even get a copy of blank papers.

OP; maybe try to contact your civil surgeon and ask if they have the entire copy and mail it to you. If the vaccination sheet is all they have, you'll definately need a medical in the US.

The wording of the RFE is different when USCIS lost it(meaning a whole new I693), or if they only want the vaccination sheet(DS3025).

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Yes we still have our personal copy of the I-693 Form. We will call USCIS tomorrow morning to go over what they felt was wrong. Then we will go to the Civil surgeon with the RFE form they just sent us and the copy of the previous I-693 form. Thank you!:thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If your K-1 medical was done within a year of filing for AOS, then you did not need another new medical done. However, you said the civil surgeon only filled out the vaccinations page of the I-693. You need to have Page 1 and the vaccinations page(page 5) of the I-693 filled out. Page 1 is where the civil surgeon verifies your identity and witnesses your signature in part 1. It is also the page where the civil surgeon signs off on the form in part 3.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Usually, it's only the vaccination sheet that's given a copy of. That's called DS3025. The civil surgeon did indeed mess up since he/she is supposed to fill out all papers, not just the vaccination sheet. If he/she didn't take notes of the rest, it wouldn't make sense to even get a copy of blank papers.

OP; maybe try to contact your civil surgeon and ask if they have the entire copy and mail it to you. If the vaccination sheet is all they have, you'll definately need a medical in the US.

The wording of the RFE is different when USCIS lost it(meaning a whole new I693), or if they only want the vaccination sheet(DS3025).

The I-693 is only used in the US by civil surgeons. The panel physicians doing the K-1 medicals overseas use the DS forms. Civil surgeons usually give a copy of the I-693 to you before sealing the original in an envelope for you to include with your AOS paperwork. If you are not required to get a new medical and only need vaccinations done, the CS only needs to fill out Page 1 and the vaccinations page of the I-693, so there will be a few blank pages to the form.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

The I-693 is only used in the US by civil surgeons. The panel physicians doing the K-1 medicals overseas use the DS forms. Civil surgeons usually give a copy of the I-693 to you before sealing the original in an envelope for you to include with your AOS paperwork. If you are not required to get a new medical and only need vaccinations done, the CS only needs to fill out Page 1 and the vaccinations page of the I-693, so there will be a few blank pages to the form.

Yes sorry, my mistake - I did mean to refer to the overseas medical.

My point though was to contact the civil surgeon overseas and ask them to forward a copy to know exactly was was done and what originally was in the sealed envelope(I personally did not get a copy of the I693 however I have a copy of ds3025). If there was nothing but the vaccination sheet(meaning no page 1), or if a copy of it isn't possible to get then OP can't avoid going through a medical in the US.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

If your K-1 medical was done within a year of filing for AOS, then you did not need another new medical done. However, you said the civil surgeon only filled out the vaccinations page of the I-693. You need to have Page 1 and the vaccinations page(page 5) of the I-693 filled out. Page 1 is where the civil surgeon verifies your identity and witnesses your signature in part 1. It is also the page where the civil surgeon signs off on the form in part 3.

My K-1 medical was done back in August 2011 and i filed the AOS in February 2012. So it was done in a year. I'm looking over the copy of the I-693 form the CS filled out and he completed

part 1,3 and 5 but my copy was done in my maiden name and one i sent off was done in my married name so it's not really copy, so he could of my made a mistake on the form i sent. I never seen it because the envelope was sealed. At the time i wasn't sure which name i should use so he did two forms for me. :unsure:

Yes sorry, my mistake - I did mean to refer to the overseas medical.

My point though was to contact the civil surgeon overseas and ask them to forward a copy to know exactly was was done and what originally was in the sealed envelope(I personally did not get a copy of the I693 however I have a copy of ds3025). If there was nothing but the vaccination sheet(meaning no page 1), or if a copy of it isn't possible to get then OP can't avoid going through a medical in the US.

You're still a little mixed up. There is no civil surgeon overseas. That person is a panel physician. A panel physician does not fill out an I-693. The overseas panel physician fills out DS-2053, DS-3024, DS-3025, DS-3026. In the case of the OP who attended a medical at Knightsbridge clinic in London, there is no copy on file. I spoke to them myself and they explained they are contracted by a third party (embassy) for medical exams. They forward all records to the third party (embassy) and do not retain any records in their office.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

My K-1 medical was done back in August 2011 and i filed the AOS in February 2012. So it was done in a year. I'm looking over the copy of the I-693 form the CS filled out and he completed

part 1,3 and 5 but my copy was done in my maiden name and one i sent off was done in my married name so it's not really copy, so he could of my made a mistake on the form i sent. I never seen it because the envelope was sealed. At the time i wasn't sure which name i should use so he did two forms for me. :unsure:

Look at your form on the bottom right corner. The form date should be 10/11/11. It looks like this http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-693.pdf

Just trying to determine if the latest form i-693 version was used? What you described sounds like the old form.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi Everyone! So we got home today to find we have a RFE letter in the mail. We are looking over the letter trying to understand what they need from us. Did my Civil Surgeon do something wrong on our I-693 form or have they lost our full medical what i did in London? Another thing, we already sent our marriage certificate we got from the Records Office but they want a another one. Confused.com help? Thanks Everyone!

MEDICAL EXAMINATION AND VACCINATION:

All medical examinations and vaccinations must be conducted and administered by a physician who is on the list of civil surgeons approved by USCIS. To obtain the names and telephone numbers of the designated civil surgeons in the applicant's geograpical area, call USCIS' National customer service center at 1-800-375-5283. The applicant will be asked to provide his/her zip code. To view a list of civil surgeons online, go to the USCIS website at: www.uscis.gov, click on FORMS, " scroll down and click on form I-693," on the right side of the page, click on find a Civil surgeon, then enter the applicant's Zip code.

All medical examinations must be submitted in an unopened envelope that has been sealed by the civil surgeon.

A review of the record indicates that the applicant entered the United States with a Vaild K-1 Nonimmigrant visa.

The record shows that the applicant submitted a copy of the medical examination and vaccination record with the filing of the I-485 application, However, the medical examination was not properly completed by the Civil Surgeon.

NEW FORM I-693: As such, the applicant is required to submit a new Form I-693, Report of medical examination and vaccination record, that is properly completed and signed. The newest version of form I-693 includes the medical information as well as the vaccination record, Uner new agency guidance, applicants two years of age or older are required to either have a tuberculin skin test or new blood test interferon gamma release assays or IGRA performed.

It shall be noted that the center for disease control has added futher vaccinaton requirements to its technical instructions for vaccination. These new age-specific vaccines include rotavirus, hepatitis A and meningococcal, which are required if the medical examination was conducted by the civil surgeon on or after August 01, 2008. Therefore if the medical exam was conducted on or after that date, the new vaccinations, if age-appropriate, must be administered for the applicant to meet adustment of status requirements. The results of these newly-required vaccinations should be documented on form I-693 (10/14/09 revision date, or after). Also, for the vaccination documentation to be compete, the civil surgeon must complete the vaccination table and the results section on page 4 of the form.

MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE:

Submit a copy of the marriage cerificate between the petitioner and the beneficiary of the fiancee' visa.

DARN IT ! that is sad that you are bearing the brunt of something that you did not even do.The govt. should rather ask the CS and verify the applicant medical record from them instead of sending the RFE to the applicant that your CS have committed a mistake.that is ridiculous.i hope things will get on track for you guys soon.god bless.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

I received the same RFE back when I applied for AOS and I ended up redoing another medical here in the US. Apparently, USCIS lost my medical info in between transfers of different service centers. It sucks coz we are paying for something they screwed up. Unfortunately when I did mine, I had to pay everything out of pocket since I didn't have medical insurance at the time. Good Luck on your journey!

SDYlm4.png

-=MY TIMELINE=-

K1 IR-5 (Dad)

01.05.09 - Medical

01.09.09 - Embassy Interview 11.25.13 - Mailed I-130 to Chicago Lockbox

01.17.09 - Visa rec'd 11.26.13 - Packet rec'd

02.03.09 - US Entry (POE: LAX) 11.27.13 - Check cashed

02.18.09 - Wedding 12.01.13 - NOA1 (Transfer to VSC

AOS 01.12.14 - NOA2 (Transfer to NVC)

03.02.09 - Applied for SSN on 2/27;SSN rec'd in mail 02.24.14 - NVC changed # to MNL

03.20.09 - AOS sent to Chicago via USPS 02.27.14 - DS 261 submitted

03.23.09 - AOS Package rec'd @ Chicago 03.04.14 - AOS fee paid; showed paid status on 3/6

07.06.09 - Welcome letter rec'd = FINALLY! 03.10.14 - AOS packet sent

07.09.09 - 10-YR GC rec'd.. odd? 03.12.14 - AOS packet delivered

I-751 03.17.14 - Rec'd IV bill invoice

04.04.11 - Infopass re:10-yr GC 03.18.14 - IV Fee paid; showed paid status on 3/20

04.09.11 - I-751 packet sent to VSC; delivered on 4/11 03.23.14 - DS 260 submitted online

04.22.11 - Check cashed; Rec'd NOA on 4/23 03.28.14 - Rec'd AOS checklist via email

06.27.11 - Rec'd bio appt in the mail:EB 07/08 (walk-in) 03.31.14 - Mailed checklist with corections

12.13.11 - I-751 approved 04.01.14 - Mailed civil documents

12.19.11 - 10-yr GC rec'd 04.03.14 - Civil docs delivered

N-400 04.07.14 - Advance Medical--PASSED!Done in 1 day

04.17.12 - N400 packet sent to TX Lockbox: REJECTED 04.18.14 - False IV checklist rec'd

05.17.12 - N400 resent to Lewisville,TX 04.23.14 - IV checklist re:Qatar PCC

05.23.12 - Check cashed; Rec'd NOA on 5/26 05.05.14 - Qatar PCC sent to NVC

06.01.12 - Rec'd bio appt in the mail:EB 06/11 instead of 6/21 06.05.14 - Case completed

07.09.12 - Rec'd interview letter for 8/14 @ 2PM 07.16.14 - Interview rescheduled due to Typhoon Glenda

08.14.12 - PASSED Interview; awaiting oath letter 07.31.14 - Interview @ USEM: APPROVED

10.01.12 - Rec'd Oath Letter 08.05.14 - Visa on hand

10.12.12 - Oath ceremony! I'm finally a USC! 08.27.14 - POE: LAX

09.08.14 - SSN in mail

09.15.14 - ELIS status changed to OPTIMIZED

09.22.14 - ELIS status CLOSED

09.26.14 - GC received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I am confused after reading this topic. I just sent my AOS documents to USCIS, and I only attached a copy of DS3025, as my medical exam and viccination just was done on July 30, 2012. As I know, these exam and viccination are still valid for AOS. So why we need to get CS to fill I 693? Is this the new policy in USCIS? Hope to get answer. Thanks in advance.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.