nebcan

US Driver's License

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So......I came on a K1 Visa to Oklahoma in March 2012.I had been in Canada fulltime since Feb 2011 with no USA visits waiting on my visa/ We got married in April, I got my SSN right away.... and I went for biometrics in July and recieved my EAD in early August. yay on all that good stuff.

The state of Oklahoma does not issue Driver's License on a temporary visa as in K1. I cannot write checks without an OK DL......I was able to get added to only one of my husband's business accounts......his other bank would not do so...and I do all the bookkeeeping!I cannot get a library card...lol..MY passport is still in my maiden name, as it has my K1 visa in it.....I have been getting hassled over it and my Canadian DL being in my maiden name........

He is a long haul trucker so is not home every week. I can drive his personal vehicles as an adult driver on his policy for one year only without an OK DL--but I cannot be officially added without a OK DL. I imported my own vehicle and cannot get insurance or tags for it until I have a OK DL.It is now expired on its Canadian ins and plates.They cannot be renewed as I no longer live there.My Canadian lic is good for another year. I cannot take training for my CDL to drive with my husband as I do not have an OK lic. I cannot drive my own van I bought last year to get to work as a painting contractor...rather difficult to haul paint and materials around in my husbands car.. I will now have to see if I can get my vehicle put into his name......as AOS could take longer yet...

Other than the major inconveniences I have been dealing with since April.....I am rather concerned about my looming interview document reqs.....I only have one bank account I have been added to..and one piece of paper saying I was added to his BCBS health insurance....(they didnt like the lack of DL either).and my SSN and EAD...as well as marriage license etc.

I did read about other states interfering in the immigration process with the DL ....what have other VJ'ers done? Any tips appreciated....mainly at this point I am resigned to all of it....just concerned re interview day.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My canadian husband was not able to get an Indiana DL until he had his greencard.... but was able to drive with his canadian license for 1 year. We went through the AOS process with him only added to the bank accounts and health insurance, marriage license, and phone bill. They didn't even ask to see our wedding photos... I'm guessing you won't have a problem, being Canada is not a high marriage fraud country.

So......I came on a K1 Visa to Oklahoma in March 2012.I had been in Canada fulltime since Feb 2011 with no USA visits waiting on my visa/ We got married in April, I got my SSN right away.... and I went for biometrics in July and recieved my EAD in early August. yay on all that good stuff.

The state of Oklahoma does not issue Driver's License on a temporary visa as in K1. I cannot write checks without an OK DL......I was able to get added to only one of my husband's business accounts......his other bank would not do so...and I do all the bookkeeeping!I cannot get a library card...lol..MY passport is still in my maiden name, as it has my K1 visa in it.....I have been getting hassled over it and my Canadian DL being in my maiden name........

He is a long haul trucker so is not home every week. I can drive his personal vehicles as an adult driver on his policy for one year only without an OK DL--but I cannot be officially added without a OK DL. I imported my own vehicle and cannot get insurance or tags for it until I have a OK DL.It is now expired on its Canadian ins and plates.They cannot be renewed as I no longer live there.My Canadian lic is good for another year. I cannot take training for my CDL to drive with my husband as I do not have an OK lic. I cannot drive my own van I bought last year to get to work as a painting contractor...rather difficult to haul paint and materials around in my husbands car.. I will now have to see if I can get my vehicle put into his name......as AOS could take longer yet...

Other than the major inconveniences I have been dealing with since April.....I am rather concerned about my looming interview document reqs.....I only have one bank account I have been added to..and one piece of paper saying I was added to his BCBS health insurance....(they didnt like the lack of DL either).and my SSN and EAD...as well as marriage license etc.

I did read about other states interfering in the immigration process with the DL ....what have other VJ'ers done? Any tips appreciated....mainly at this point I am resigned to all of it....just concerned re interview day.

I am also in Oklahoma, I got an OK drivers license with my EAD. Have you tried with your EAD? Shouldn't be a problem.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I was able to obtain a Virginia driver's license based on EAD + SSN. Moreover, I bought a car in the US and I was able to register the car at DMV with my Dutch license, AND I had a full coverage insurance although the permium was high when I told them I don't have a state issued DL.

In my experience, some DMV staff are not fully aware of the different rules, so they immediately refuse to except any document they are not familair with. Keep trying and ask to speak to their manager.

yea, you get DL in OK with the EAD even though the first person said I needed a GC.

also, you can get on car insurance with your foreign drivers license+your passport. did that just fine. although I was added to someone elses insurance.

anyhow, nobody accepts my OK drivers license because it says temporary and now everywhere I go my EAD is accepted as valid photoID as long as I first present my DL :D

Edited by tempa

Filed: Other Timeline

Which is why I've been preaching that the K-1 is a really poor visa option that should be reserved for people who have absolutely no way to enter the United States without it. So if you were from Vietnam, Morocco, or Iran . . . hell, the K-1 is the way to go. In your case, the CR-1 route would have been a billion, gazillion times better. The moment you show up at the Canada/US border, you are a Green Card holder, and can rock'n roll from day one on.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Which is why I've been preaching that the K-1 is a really poor visa option that should be reserved for people who have absolutely no way to enter the United States without it. So if you were from Vietnam, Morocco, or Iran . . . hell, the K-1 is the way to go. In your case, the CR-1 route would have been a billion, gazillion times better. The moment you show up at the Canada/US border, you are a Green Card holder, and can rock'n roll from day one on.

yea... back in the day the estimated timeline for getting to live together with CR1 was around 12-18 months. compared to K1 it is not an option for lots of ppl :)

now, question is, why would someone use their money and time on K1 when other ppl come without a visa and seem to get GC many times faster that way.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

For us, the K-1 option was the most viable option.

YMMV

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

For us, the K-1 option was the most viable option.

YMMV

Same here.

Different visa options work for different couples.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Even with Conditional Card now days getting DL and renewing DL is becoming a pain.

Based on your 2 yr card they will issue only 2 yr DL than another temp DL while they remove the condition at the moment Vermont is taking like 6-7 months to remove condition.

Than once again apply for DL when you get your 10 yr card.... :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I came to know that K-1 indeed sucks big time. However, in retrospect.... I do enjoy the over 3 months of free time. If financially affordable not work for such a period... it is a wonderfull time out, of course just a fraction of the working lifetime.

yea, you get DL in OK with the EAD even though the first person said I needed a GC.

also, you can get on car insurance with your foreign drivers license+your passport. did that just fine. although I was added to someone elses insurance.

anyhow, nobody accepts my OK drivers license because it says temporary and now everywhere I go my EAD is accepted as valid photoID as long as I first present my DL :D

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Each couple has to do what is best at the time or known at the time. In retro we would have done cr1.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

**Moved from AOS from family visas to Moving Here and Your New Life in America. Topic is about how to get certain documents in the US.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've been emailing my Department of Transportation and luckily they just need an SSN and the number on his I-94. Plus the residencey thing like him on my address and utility bills. I may have more of an outlook once we get to the DMV but that's how MO has spelled it out for me at this point.

August 2010 Meet playing world of warcraft.

Our K-1 Journey:

March 6,2012 Filed for K-1 Visa, sent I-129F

March 12,2012 NOA1 received

July 11,2012 NOA2 email received

September 17,2012 Interview <3 <3 (APPROVED)

September 19,2012 Received Passport and POE !!! Home Sweet Home

October 13,2012 Married <3 <3

Our AOS Journey

October 29,2012 Mailed AOS packet to Chicago Lockbox

October 31,2012 Lockbox Received

November 2,2012 NOA-1 (EAD and AOS)

December 20,2012 Biometrics Appointment

January 16,2013 EAD approved/received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.