Danielb4643

Moved to US on k1, got 2yr GC and now wife wants a divorce

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi-

I will spare you all the emotion and give you the facts, this is an unthinkable situation for me. So I have moved to the USA and got married on K1- got my 2yr GC and now it appears we are getting divorced, what are my options?

I have moved here to begin a new life and feel like it's been cut way too short. Is there any possible way for me to stay in the US? I have a GC that expires 2014 (is this still valid after divorce?) however going forward, what options are open for me?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Filed: Timeline

Hi-

I will spare you all the emotion and give you the facts, this is an unthinkable situation for me. So I have moved to the USA and got married on K1- got my 2yr GC and now it appears we are getting divorced, what are my options?

I have moved here to begin a new life and feel like it's been cut way too short. Is there any possible way for me to stay in the US? I have a GC that expires 2014 (is this still valid after divorce?) however going forward, what options are open for me?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

This is what I know.

You have nothing to worry about so relax and deal with the pressing matter at hand.

You will get your divorce and file for removal of conditions yourself.

What you need to do now is start to compile documents to establish that you entered the marriage in good faith. Very important to get documents for joint accounts/contracts, etc

Good luck Mate and keep a stiff upper lip.

Edited by Gowon

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Moved to Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits, from K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Process & Procedures since you have your GC this is not a K1 topic and is better suited in this forum.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Look at the form I-751 to remove conditions. You can file as a divorced person by yourself as long as you prove the marriage was entered into in good faith. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Look at the form I-751 to remove conditions. You can file as a divorced person by yourself as long as you prove the marriage was entered into in good faith. Good luck.

good.gif About sums it up.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi, thanks for your help, do I remove conditions before the divorce, after the divorce or 3 months prior to my 2yr GC expiring?

thank you

Danny

If you have a final divorce decree in your hand before the 90 period begins then file the I-751 right away. Technically, USCIS is supposed to take steps to terminate your conditional resident status if they find out you're divorced. Practically speaking, this means they send you a notice advising you to file the I-751.

If you enter the 90 day period and you still don't have a final divorce decree then file the I-751 anyway, and use divorce as the basis for self-petitioning. When USCIS gets around to adjudicating your I-751 (which is taking about a year these days) they'll send an RFE for the divorce decree. If you STILL don't have the divorce decree by that time then they'll start removal proceedings. When you go to the master hearing at the immigration court you can tell the judge you're waiting for the divorce decree, and he'll put a stay on the proceedings until your divorce is final. Once you get the divorce decree then the judge will either send the case back to USCIS for adjudication, or the judge will adjudicate your I-751 himself. They won't deport you while you're waiting on that divorce decree unless you go to the immigration court, keep your mouth shut, and let them deport you.

Under no conditions should you wait until your conditional green card is actually expired before filing the I-751. Your status expires the day your green card expires unless you've filed an I-751, and they won't accept the fact that you didn't have a divorce decree as a valid excuse for late filing.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.