Freedove7

Do I qualify for unemployment benefits ?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Haiti
Timeline

I just became a permanent resident.When would I qualify for unemployment benefits? Do I need to be a PR for. Certain about of time first?

Adjustment of Status from TPS to Permanent Resident

Married on December 28,2007 <3

01/18/2012 Sent I130 to USCIS

0/25/2012 NOA received

04/11/2012 Sent AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox

04/17/2012 NOA recieved

4/23/2012 Biometric Appointment notice received

5/4/2012 Biometrics completed & the real waiting game begins !

Filed: Timeline

I just became a permanent resident.When would I qualify for unemployment benefits? Do I need to be a PR for. Certain about of time first?

You have to work in covered employment for a minimum period. The amount you receive is based on how much you earned. Usually, benefits are based on what you earned 6 to 18 months ago, but the rules will vary by state.

Edited by The Patriot

Timeline

Sorry for the typos ! I meant " for a certain amount of time."

0/25/2012 NOA received

04/17/2012 NOA recieved

You only qualify for unemployment if you have worked to earn it. From you previous posts stating that you have not worked, no, you do not. The rules vary by state, but you have to have worked for months, and earned a certain amount. Also, you need to be let go, you can't quit.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

You only qualify for unemployment if you have worked to earn it. From you previous posts stating that you have not worked, no, you do not. The rules vary by state, but you have to have worked for months, and earned a certain amount. Also, you need to be let go, you can't quit.

I have been working and paying taxes for a few months now.

0/25/2012 NOA received

04/17/2012 NOA recieved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Unemployment is insurance which is paid for by an employer. The eligibility requirements vary from one state to another. In some states you must have worked for a minimum period of time. In others, you must have earned a minimum amount of wages during the time you were employed. In all cases, you must have lost your job through no fault of your own (you didn't quit and you weren't fired for cause), you must be willing to work and physically capable of working, and you must actively look for work while you're collecting benefits. In most states they will ask the employer to confirm your eligibility. If the employer doesn't confirm your claim then you usually won't get any benefits.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

Unemployment is insurance which is paid for by an employer. The eligibility requirements vary from one state to another. In some states you must have worked for a minimum period of time. In others, you must have earned a minimum amount of wages during the time you were employed. In all cases, you must have lost your job through no fault of your own (you didn't quit and you weren't fired for cause), you must be willing to work and physically capable of working, and you must actively look for work while you're collecting benefits. In most states they will ask the employer to confirm your eligibility. If the employer doesn't confirm your claim then you usually won't get any benefits.

Thanks.Your answer was thorough.I now have a better understanding.

0/25/2012 NOA received

04/17/2012 NOA recieved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Do you meet the state requirements for receiving benefits? Usually it's 3 to 5 quarters of prior work, and the state agency vettes the data.

Since you just becamse a PR, I would guess NO, unless you worked whilst holding an EAD. Was that the case, or no ?

If no, sorry - no work history, then yer employers not pay into the system for unemployment compensation.

Unemployment benefits hinge around 'prior work', data vetted by the state agency.

What's what, who's who, and whatcha got, for prior work history in the USA holding an EAD?

I strongly suggest you find yer state's Unemployment Benefits website - usually there is a calculator there that you can use, to see if you qualify and to see any amounts.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Timeline

Do you meet the state requirements for receiving benefits? Usually it's 3 to 5 quarters of prior work, and the state agency vettes the data.

Since you just becamse a PR, I would guess NO, unless you worked whilst holding an EAD. Was that the case, or no ?

If no, sorry - no work history, then yer employers not pay into the system for unemployment compensation.

Unemployment benefits hinge around 'prior work', data vetted by the state agency.

What's what, who's who, and whatcha got, for prior work history in the USA holding an EAD?

:secret:TPS is work eligible. :whistle:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

The Patriot - hey - that's right !! but does pre-sume an EAD, legally working and not stuff under the table ..

IIRC, a TN-1 can also file, when finally a PR, after an adjustment of status.

Thanks for the hint (and stuff)

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

First you must have a greencard to work. Then you must work 26 consecutive weeks and be laid off through no fault of your own. If you quit a job most likely you will be turned down (some states are more strict then others). Remember most states adhere to "not fault of your own" in terms of qualifying for benefits.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

It is also paid for, albeit very little by the employee as well. I get unemployment insurance (i think like 3 a month or something) taken out of my monthly paycheck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.