NiNi123

Can i withdraw co sponsorship after a 10 yrs GC to the husband

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello All

I need your advise and this situation.

Make the store short. My sister sponsored her husband over to the U.S. He automatic got his 10yrs GC. She is just gave birth to their first child. Just a week old. Her husband want to leave her after he got his green card. As a co sponsor for my sister, I want to withdraw the Affidavit of support. IS that possible? also, can my sister deport him? She feel hurt that he has been decieve her alongs just for the GC. And she is just gave birth. The issues is that she want him to go work and bring home money to help her out with the child instead of depending on her mother income. He got mad and threated and want to leave her, if she continued pushing him to go find a job. Please help. Thank you. Most people said that we can't do anything. There got to be a way to protect those who sponsor this type of person. Who later find out to be a lier. Which we thought he is honest and love my sister. It is all a setup. My sister is deeply hurt and now she has his baby.

Thank you.

Edited by NiNi123

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello All

Make the store short. My sister sponsored her husband over to the U.S. He automatic got his 10yrs GC. She is just gave birth to their first child. Just a week old. Her husband want to leave her after he got his green card. As a co sponsor for my sister, I want to withdraw the Affidavit of support. IS that possible? also, can my sister deport him? She feel hurt that he has been decieve her alongs just for the GC. And she is just gave birth. The issues is that she want him to go work and bring home money to help her out with the child instead of depending on her mother income. He got mad and threated and want to leave her, if she continued pushing him to go find a job. Please help. Thank you. Most people said that we can't do anything. There got to be a way to protect those who sponsor this type of person. Who later find out to be a lier. Which we thought he is honest and love my sister. It is all a setup. My sister is deeply hurt and now she has his baby.

Thank you.

I am very sorry to hear of these situations, and really feel for your sister and her new born baby. But from everything i have read on this forum, regarding the AOS, it is really a binding 10 year agreement that you will be held accountable for, even after they are divorced.

As to get him deported that will be very difficult (considering he is not even on conditional status), she will need to prove that he married her only to gain immigration status, and with a baby, sounds even less likely. On the other hand why would she want him deported, she should just take him to court for child support and make him get to work, if she gets him deported he probably wont have the chance to help at all.

Best of luck.

USCIS:

06/06/2012: Sent I-130 to VSC (as LPR)

06/08/2012: NOA1 (Priority Date)

06/12/2012: Touched

08/20/2012: Mailed VSC request for Upgrade to CR1

08/23/2012: Opened Request with USCIS for Upgrade to CR1

08/27/2012: Got Email confirming upgrade to IR1/CR1

11/13/2012: NOA2

NVC:

11/16/2012: NVC Received (NVC # not ready)

11/19/2012: BOG number/IIN - Gave emails

11/19/2012: Choice of Agent email sent

11/20/2012: AOS bill invoiced

11/20/2012: AOS bill paid shows in process

11/21/2012: AOS package sent

11/21/2012: AOS bill shows PAID

11/21/2012: Choice of Agent email sent (again)

11/21/2012: Choice of Agent email accepted

11/23/2012: IV bill invoiced

11/23/2012: IV bill paid

11/26/2012: IV package sent

11/26/2012: IV bill shows PAID

12/07/2012: AOS accepted

12/10/2012: IV Accepted

12/10/2012: Case complete

12/13/2012: Interview scheduled

US Embassy Bogota:

01/25/2013: Lab Visit

01/28/2013: Medical

01/30/2013: Interview

02/05/2013: Email Waybill (5PM)

02/06/2013: Visa in hand

02/08/2013: POE JFK, NY

Filed: Country: France
Timeline

I think the contract you sign for the AOS is pretty specific about the fact that there are only 3 ways to get out of it:

-He dies.

-He leaves the US permanently.

-He becomes a citizen.

Also it seems from what you're saying that it's not like he got GC and wants to leave now that he has it but he wants others to support him or he leaves. Is that an ####### move? absolutely! but i'm not sure it's immigration fraud.

Timeline

I am very sorry to hear of these situations, and really feel for your sister and her new born baby. But from everything i have read on this forum, regarding the AOS, it is really a binding 10 year agreement that you will be held accountable for, even after they are divorced.

As to get him deported that will be very difficult (considering he is not even on conditional status), she will need to prove that he married her only to gain immigration status, and with a baby, sounds even less likely. On the other hand why would she want him deported, she should just take him to court for child support and make him get to work, if she gets him deported he probably wont have the chance to help at all.

Best of luck.

Thank you.

What if he turned around and want to take her baby with him just to get the welfare and medical and all the benefit through a baby.

Is not fair for her and her co sponsor. Also, what if he don't want to get a divorce? Thank you

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

*Move from IR1/CR1 forum to Effects of Major Changes forum*

No, you cannot withdraw your sponsorship.

If your sister can provide good evidence that he only used her for a green card then she could report him to ICE and perhaps he could be convicted of fraud and deported.

It sounds like your BIL needs to get off the lazy train. If he wants to sponge off your family then tell him no and to get a job. If it leads to divorce, so be it.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Timeline

Hello All

Thank you.

Sir, did you read the deatiled instrucions for the I-864 before signing it?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hello All

Thank you.

No, you cannot withdraw your sponsorship. Unless your sister has compelling evidence the marriage was fraudulent on his part, it's unlikely there's anything she could do that would result in his deportation. The concept is that if they've been married for two years, that was supposed to be sufficient time to work out any issues with the validity of the marriage. Sounds like her best bet is to first, decide if she want to terminate the marriage. If she does, she can do so. If he is no longer in her life, he will most likely find a way to take care of himself. If he does, neither affidavit of support will come into play anyway.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Thank you.

What if he turned around and want to take her baby with him just to get the welfare and medical and all the benefit through a baby.

Is not fair for her and her co sponsor. Also, what if he don't want to get a divorce? Thank you

She can petition for divorce and 100% custody of the child. So all he can do is pay support money.

If you believe that the divorce path is most likely, contact a qualified family law attorney. Don't settle for someone that is a friend or close by. Get good advice and let him have it!

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

She can petition for divorce and 100% custody of the child. So all he can do is pay support money.

If you believe that the divorce path is most likely, contact a qualified family law attorney. Don't settle for someone that is a friend or close by. Get good advice and let him have it!

Thank you

One question if he decided to go out there and applt for the government benefit such as welfare, foodstamp, housing, etcc.. Can he be qualified? will the place check to see if he had a sponsor? I afraid he will do it behind our back if the government didn't check. And me and my cosponsor will be liable, Can we stop it?

Thank you again.

Timeline

Thank you

One question if he decided to go out there and applt for the government benefit such as welfare, foodstamp, housing, etcc.. Can he be qualified? will the place check to see if he had a sponsor? I afraid he will do it behind our back if the government didn't check. And me and my cosponsor will be liable, Can we stop it?

Thank you again.

Your sister is the first in line to pay, then you.

He shouldn't qualify for means tested programs for a while, but there are exceptions/mistakes.

I can't see where you can do anything to prevent it short of following him around 24/7. Or, you make a STRONG fraud case and pursue it in court and that results in deportation.

Timeline

Your sister is the first in line to pay, then you.

He shouldn't qualify for means tested programs for a while, but there are exceptions/mistakes.

I can't see where you can do anything to prevent it short of following him around 24/7. Or, you make a STRONG fraud case and pursue it in court and that results in deportation.

Right. It's a contract between sponsors and government. It may be helpful to you to read the contract again. Chances are, he's not going to qualify for any means tested benefits anyway and will not only need to provide for himself but also pay child support. Once he realizes this, he'll either man up, disappear or self deport.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

My sister is under diabilty benefit. She is consider handicap. Coz she has seizure sickness. And under her mother care and also under SSI benefit

if the husband and her get divorce. Can she have the custody for the child? I really dont' want this guy to take the baby for his benefits. He don't have a job no place to leave. He cannot take care of the baby. As for my sister she has a place to leave her mother her sisters. They are willing to support and help her with the baby. What you think? can she win?

Timeline

My sister is under diabilty benefit. She is consider handicap. Coz she has seizure sickness. And under her mother care and also under SSI benefit

if the husband and her get divorce. Can she have the custody for the child? I really dont' want this guy to take the baby for his benefits. He don't have a job no place to leave. He cannot take care of the baby. As for my sister she has a place to leave her mother her sisters. They are willing to support and help her with the baby. What you think? can she win?

That is where paying for a good family law attorney's opinion is money well spent. Don't guess and hope!!

Timeline

Contact a family law attorney. If you can't afford one, look for an agency that helps women in your sister's situation. You are asking a legal question. You need a legal answer from a qualified attorney.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: Timeline

I think the contract you sign for the AOS is pretty specific about the fact that there are only 3 ways to get out of it:

-He dies.

-He leaves the US permanently.

-He becomes a citizen.

Also it seems from what you're saying that it's not like he got GC and wants to leave now that he has it but he wants others to support him or he leaves. Is that an ####### move? absolutely! but i'm not sure it's immigration fraud.

Don't forget about accumulating 40 work quarters! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.