one...two...tree

Papa John's Founder Warns Obamacare Will Make You Pay About 14 Cents More For Your Artery Clogging, Sausage Pizza

89 posts in this topic

You also know nothing about their activity levels though.

And it's well worth considering the role that poverty plays in their bad "choices" that due to certain factors could very well be choices made under the duress of not being able to afford to eat better. Calorie for calorie, the amount of money I spend monthly on fresh organic fruits and veg would go a whole heck of a lot further at a fast food joint. It's far more complicated than you're giving it credit for, and there are far bigger forces at work than icky fatties stuffing their gobs with cheeseburgers, damn the consequences.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You missed the point.

When you see someone ordering a burger, you know nothing about their eating habits.

What you need to do is do it NatGeo style. Next time you see a whale ordering a Whopper, harpoon the mofo and put a tracking device on him.

Then track his movements over a large period of time.

And then, you will know if his eating habits involve many visits to fast food joints.

Observing one visit just doesn't cut it.

:lol:

Obviously I don't know what they eat for dinner every day. When I see someone who is 450lbs ordering a footlong at Subway, I can see that they're trying but don't understand that they don't need to eat two sandwiches. All of the fat/obese people that I know personally have terrible diets, don't know about portion control etc. It's very widespread in the south, as I'm sure you know. I have to agree that diet soda tastes better than regular soda, once you make the switch you never go back.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

You missed the point.

When you see someone ordering a burger, you know nothing about their eating habits.

What you need to do is do it NatGeo style. Next time you see a whale ordering a Whopper, harpoon the mofo and put a tracking device on him.

Then track his movements over a large period of time.

And then, you will know if his eating habits involve many visits to fast food joints.

Observing one visit just doesn't cut it.

:rofl:

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Timeline

You also know nothing about their activity levels though.

And it's well worth considering the role that poverty plays in their bad "choices" that due to certain factors could very well be choices made under the duress of not being able to afford to eat better. Calorie for calorie, the amount of money I spend monthly on fresh organic fruits and veg would go a whole heck of a lot further at a fast food joint. It's far more complicated than you're giving it credit for, and there are far bigger forces at work than icky fatties stuffing their gobs with cheeseburgers, damn the consequences.

I am well aware of the issue of poverty, I have spoken of this problem several times on here, only to be laughed at by the RWNJ's. In Mississippi poverty is the highest in the nation, and it is clearly related to the state also having the lowest income level in the nation. That's another problem, if you can buy a pizza for $5 and feed your kids with it, why would you spend time on making something yourself, and pay more for it?

The term "relative child poverty" refers to a child living in a household where the disposable income is less than half of the national median income. [/i]

"Basically, other countries do more," he said. "They tend to have minimum wages that are higher than ours. The children would be covered universally by health insurance. Other countries provide more child care."

CIA World Factbook - United States

The US has the largest and most technologically powerful economy in the world, with a per capita GDP of $48,100.

Child Poverty

Nearly 15 million children in the United States – 21% of all children – live in families with incomes below the federal poverty level – $22,050 a year for a family of four. Research shows that, on average, families need an income of about twice that level to cover basic expenses. Using this standard, 42% of children live in low-income families.

Most of these children have parents who work, but low wages and unstable employment leave their families struggling to make ends meet. Poverty can impede children’s ability to learn and contribute to social, emotional, and behavioral problems. Poverty also can contribute to poor health and mental health. Risks are greatest for children who experience poverty when they are young and/or experience deep and persistent poverty.

Wealth report reveals richest states, poorest states

At the bottom is Mississippi with a staggering poverty rate of 21.3 percent. Mississippi also has the lowest median household income at $36,850

Obesity and Overweight Prevalence among a Mississippi Low-Income Preschool Population: A Five-Year Comparison

Mississippi, a southern state with the highest level of poverty, had the highest adult obesity rates in the USA at 33.8%. In addition, 44.4% of Mississippi children aged 10–17 years of age self-reported as overweight or obese in the 2007 National Survey of Children's Health versus the national rate of 31.6%. More recent measured estimates of Mississippi Kindergarten through 12th grade (K-12) obesity and overweight rates in 2009 indicated a combined rate of 23.9%, not significantly different from the 2007 combined rate of 23.5%.

Malnutrition

It is possible to eat a diet high in calories but containing few vitamins and minerals. This means you can become malnourished, even though you might also be overweight or obese. Being malnourished does not always mean that you are skinny.

Poor and fat

The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition recently published a study that found $1 could buy 1,200 calories of potato chips but just 250 calories of vegetables and 170 calories of fresh fruit. And it is also true that Mississippi, the poorest state in the country, is also the fattest.

In fact, the five poorest states are also among the 10 fattest, and eight of the 10 poorest states are also among the 10 with the lowest life expectancy.

I guess one could dismiss this as one big coincidence, but is it also a coincidence that half of the top 10 states with the highest median incomes are also in the top 10 in life expectancy?

just as there is a link between education and poverty, there appears to be a correlation between poverty and health.

ACT 2010 Condition of College & Career Readiness - Mississippi is ranked bottom in every category.

State Education Data Profiles - Mississippi is far below the national average.

Mississippi Losing The War With Obesity

The problem is most pronounced in the Mississippi Delta — the flat, fertile flood plain fed by the Mississippi River. It's a region with a history as rich as the soil, but with deeply rooted social problems.

In Holmes County, for instance, nearly half the residents live in poverty. And not only is it the state's poorest county; it's also the heaviest. Four out of 10 people in Holmes County are obese. And you see it all around — large kids lumbering to get on the school bus, patients spilling over their seats in the doctor's waiting room.

Dr. David Gilder in Tchula, Miss., frequently sees patients with problems related to obesity — diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure.

The Health Effects of Overweight and Obesity

Coronary heart disease, Type 2 diabetes, Cancers (endometrial, breast, and colon), Hypertension (high blood pressure), Dyslipidemia (for example, high total cholesterol or high levels of triglycerides), Stroke, Liver and Gallbladder disease, Sleep apnea and respiratory problems, Osteoarthritis (a degeneration of cartilage and its underlying bone within a joint), Gynecological problems (abnormal menses, infertility).

Childhood Obesity Facts

Long-term health effects: Overweight and obesity are associated with increased risk for many types of cancer, including cancer of the breast, colon, endometrium, esophagus, kidney, pancreas, gall bladder, thyroid, ovary, cervix, and prostate, as well as multiple myeloma and Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

Diabetes Tops Child Obesity's Health Risks

Closely linked to obesity, type 2 diabetes was once so rare among children that it was called adult onset diabetes. According to the AAP Executive Committee on Endocrinology and doctors nationwide, health professionals are seeing many 12- and 13-year-olds with type 2 diabetes.

Doctors estimate that half of overweight kids will grow up to be overweight adults. Once they've been heavy for many years, experts say, they're at risk for diseases that doctors usually see in people in their 60s, 70s, and 80s.

Chronic Disease Fact Sheet

Cardiovascular Disease is the leading cause of death in Mississippi. 10,195 Mississippians died from CVD in 2007, accounting for 36% of all deaths.

Mississippi's CVD mortality rate is the highest in the nation, with a mortality rate in 2005 that was 25% higher than the U.S. as a whole. More Mississippians die each year from CVD than from all types of cancer, traffic injuries, suicides, and AIDS combined.

Diabetes is a major cause of morbidity, disability, and mortality for Mississippians and a major source of health care costs in the state.

High Blood Pressure (Hypertension): In 2007, the prevalence of hypertension was 33.7%. Approximately 725,000 Mississippi adults are estimated to have hypertension.

Of all states, Mississippi has the eighth highest percentage (19.3%) of adults 18 and over who reported no health care coverage.

Infant Mortality in Mississippi

Mississippi's average infant mortality rate has been around 10 deaths per 1,000 live births in recent years: one of the highest in the nation.

Leading causes of infant mortality:

-Birth defects

-Accidents and maternal difficulties

Protect your baby before it is born:

-Mothers should work to be in good health prior to becoming pregnant: address any chronic medical problems such as high blood pressure or diabetes.

-Get early and continuing prenatal care throughout the entire pregnancy, and follow the advice of your doctor.

Mississippi's Rising Infant Mortality Rate

For young women like Jemeika Brown, transportation is another problem. Now five months pregnant, she hitches rides to Medicaid appointments in Greenville, over 30 miles away.

Krystal was 17 years old then. Now she's 20, a mother of two, and seven months into a high risk pregnancy. She hasn't yet made it to Greenville to see a doctor. She can't afford the fare. She can't even afford a tombstone for her son.

Out of all the states Mississippi has the highest rate of poverty, the lowest income, the highest rate of adult obesity, the highest rate of child obesity, highest rate of teen pregnancies, the highest rate of deaths from heart disease, lowest ranked education system, and one of the highest rates of infant mortality.

These issues are all interrelated. Poverty is very "real" in this rich country with "the largest and most technologically powerful economy in the world".

It's hard even in non-impoverished households too. The hospital near my work has an intensive 4 month program for children that are overweight, that focuses on nutrition and physical activity. It is a great program, if you have a couple thousand extra dollars laying around. Of course, state insurance doesn't cover it. But even our patients with good insurance aren't covered. Especially in recent years, for a lot of families that's an insurmountable expense. It sucks.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

Timeline

It's hard even in non-impoverished households too. The hospital near my work has an intensive 4 month program for children that are overweight, that focuses on nutrition and physical activity. It is a great program, if you have a couple thousand extra dollars laying around. Of course, state insurance doesn't cover it. But even our patients with good insurance aren't covered. Especially in recent years, for a lot of families that's an insurmountable expense. It sucks.

I have talked with my husband, who has spent most of his life living here, about what can be done. His answer is always that you have to let them save themselves. I would love for someone like Jamie Oliver to come here and try and fix our eating habits. What hope do we have when WIC gives out chocolate milk and the nutrition classes are run by fat people who tell you "if you don't like whole grain, it's ok I don't like it either, you don't have to eat it" or "it's ok to eat a kids meal from McDonalds". This sends out the wrong message.

People I know with bad eating habits can afford to eat better, they just choose not to. Some will eat fast food several times a day. Others will think eating a sandwich with two chicken breasts loaded with cheese and all kinds is somehow better for them than eating a cheeseburger. I will give advice if they ask but it isn't my place to ramble on about eating healthily, it took me long enough to convince my husband. :lol: So what are the options for these people?

I didn't know he donates to Romney! that's the end of my potentially ever ordering pizza from Papa John's

by the way I'm curious, for those of you who think Papa John's pizza is bad ... what's good pizza to you?

Adjustment of Status from H-1B, Family-Based
07/26/2012 - 10/18/2012: 85 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Removal of Conditions
07/22/2014 - 11/14/2014: 116 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Naturalization
02/03/2016 - 05/31/2016 : 119 Days from Application Received to Oath Ceremony.

I am a United States citizen!

http://hotlipspizza.com/

http://apizzascholls.com/

Not all local places are good, but good pizza is always local instead of chains, in my opinion.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

Here was a nice article with some ideas on how to fight obesity: Make Home Ec mandatory in school.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/future_tense/2012/06/home_ec_or_family_and_consumer_sciences_should_be_mandatory_for_students_.html

"In 2010, Ikea commissioned a report on the “future of the kitchen.” The final product sketched out three possibilities for the kitchen of 2040: an “emotionally intelligent” room that coaches you on nutritional needs and respond to your moods; a self-sufficient “back-to-nature” model that is eco-friendly, garden included; and a “smart” kitchen, complete with apps and touchscreens to help anticipate your needs. But no matter which most appeals to you, one thing is certain: We’ll still be cooking, even if it’s with genetically engineered food from farms worked by autonomous machines. The question is, then, how to make sure that the men and women who own these kitchens know how to cook. If parents can’t teach kids healthy eating and basic cooking, then schools should. Let’s teach them some basic budgeting, cleaning, sewing, and even child care, too.

Once, kids—well, girls—learned how to make a meal and keep a home by helping their mothers. Around the turn of the 20th century, home-economics classes codified this knowledge, introducing future wives to nutrition, budgeting, hygiene, and, of course, cooking. But, as Helen Zoe Veit wrote in a 2011 Op-Ed for the New York Times, those lessons eventually so permeated society that “they came to seem like common sense. As a result, their early proponents came to look like old maids stating the obvious instead of the innovators and scientists that many of them really were. … Today we remember only the stereotypes about home economics, while forgetting the movement’s crucial lessons on healthy eating and cooking.

You could make the case that home ec is more valuable than ever in an age when junk food is everywhere, obesity is rampant, and few parents have time to cook for their children. Rather than training girls to be housewives, home ec today can teach students to cook for themselves after work once they reach adulthood. More immediately, kids can take what they learn and make easy, healthy meals when their parents are too busy working. Werhan notes that lots of middle- and high-school students are responsible for preparing meals or “making decisions,” such as deciding what to buy at the grocery store. (One of the first things I learned to cook as a child was a simple roast chicken, which I would make for my brothers and me when our mother was working late.)"

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

That is a great article! Almost 20 years later, I still remember the kitchen basics my middle school home ec teacher taught us. Parents have to take the time to include children on shopping trips and in the kitchen too. I make my son help with grocery lists, set up the mise en place when we're cooking or baking, stuff like that. Teaching why homemade pancakes taste so much better than the boxed stuff and only take a couple more minutes to mix up, etc.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

Timeline

That is a great article! Almost 20 years later, I still remember the kitchen basics my middle school home ec teacher taught us. Parents have to take the time to include children on shopping trips and in the kitchen too. I make my son help with grocery lists, set up the mise en place when we're cooking or baking, stuff like that. Teaching why homemade pancakes taste so much better than the boxed stuff and only take a couple more minutes to mix up, etc.

Agree, great article. Teaching basic knife skills and cooking techniques would be very useful for everyone.

It's great that you involve your son with the groceries. It's something that seems like it would be obvious, but it isn't as straight forward as it seems if you don't know what you're doing. Aside from the obvious budgeting, how do you know when peaches are ripe? Are the apples bruised? Simple things like that are invaluable. If only there were more parents like this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I never had Papa John's Pizza. How much will I save if I never do?

You should. It's quite good. I personally think it's better than that stuff in Montreal they pass off as pizza.

http://www.mapquest.com/?le=t&saddr=%2C+++05403&daddr=44.98100000000000164845914696343243122100830078125%2C+-73.458990000000000009094947017729282379150390625{address%3DPapa%2BJohn%27s}&icid=mqdist_ppj&vs=&icid=mqdist_ppj

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

I didn't know he donates to Romney! that's the end of my potentially ever ordering pizza from Papa John's

by the way I'm curious, for those of you who think Papa John's pizza is bad ... what's good pizza to you?

Using that logic, I would imagine that your list of places to eat, shop, or spend money at is very minimal seeing most business owners are Republicans.

Most chain pizzas are #######, but it's personal taste. Out of all the chains, I like Pizza Hut the best, I know a lot of people that don't. Locally here in Boston the two pizzas places I like best are Pizzeria Regina and Angela's Coal Fired Pizza.

Timeline

Using that logic, I would imagine that your list of places to eat, shop, or spend money at is very minimal seeing most business owners are Republicans.

Walmart is the biggest one I can think of. However, does Walmart raise prices to "pay for Obamacare" (aka increase profits)?