one...two...tree

Papa John's Founder Warns Obamacare Will Make You Pay About 14 Cents More For Your Artery Clogging, Sausage Pizza

89 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

As a New Yorker born and raised, I can't officially approve of national chain pizzas. But if you must order one, Papa John's is clearly the best. And the chain's CEO, John Schnatter, is not only raising money for Mitt Romney, he's warning that Obamacare will cause your pizza-eating experience to suffer:

Stipulating for a moment that this is true, doesn't it seem like a rather small price to pay? Papa John's website is currently offering to deliver me a large pepperoni pizza for $14.08 and Schnatter is warning me that the problem with Obamacare is ... a one-time price increase of less than 1 percent! That seems eminently reasonable. What's more, it's well within the range of the kind of price swings Papa John's is going to have to expect just based on the vagaries of the weather, which impacts the price of ingredients, and the ups and downs of the oil market. There's just nothing there. I can believe that the Obamacare provision requiring prominent calorie labeling on menus would hurt Papa John's by encouraging people to order smaller pizzas or fewer toppings, but the idea that they're getting hammered by a one-time 14 cent per-pie increase in labor costs is silly. Now Schnatter personally stands to lose money as a result of the progressive tax increases that will help pay for the law. He's probably mad about that, but he shouldn't attribute his personal problems to his business.

Edited by Commie Appeaser

Papa Johns pizza is terrible, the crust tastes like cardboard. Maybe raising the prices will allow them to make a better pie.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

See the problem with Steven's failed logic on the whole "only 1%" thing is that now take that "1 %" that Papa Johns has to add to its products and add it to EVERYTHING that you buy at the grocery store, on top of the additional costs that individuals who didn't choose to buy health insurance had before, on top of the fact that insurance premiums will continue to go up under Obamacare, on top of the ever growing cost of food due to drought conditions, etc. and yeah those "14 cents" more on a Pizza can add up really quick.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Timeline

See the problem with Steven's failed logic on the whole "only 1%" thing is that now take that "1 %" that Papa Johns has to add to its products and add it to EVERYTHING that you buy at the grocery store, on top of the additional costs that individuals who didn't choose to buy health insurance had before, on top of the fact that insurance premiums will continue to go up under Obamacare, on top of the ever growing cost of food due to drought conditions, etc. and yeah those "14 cents" more on a Pizza can add up really quick.

The cheapest way to deal with medicine is to not have it at all.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

and yeah those "14 cents" more on a Pizza can add up really quick.

If you're a fatass who lives on pizza, sure. You're better off making your own pizza anyway.

The only person who is putting the prices up for Papa John's is him by raising money for Romney.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you're a fatass who lives on pizza, sure. You're better off making your own pizza anyway.

The only person who is putting the prices up for Papa John's is him by raising money for Romney.

:yes: An excuse to raise prices. Notice when gas prices go up they do so very quickly but when the price of oil goes down they delay dropping prices.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

:yes: An excuse to raise prices. Notice when gas prices go up they do so very quickly but when the price of oil goes down they delay dropping prices.

That's how it looks to me too. 14 cents per pizza will make him a lot of money! It's surprising no one on here has complained how much gas prices have gone up by recently. Let's keep that one quiet. :lol:

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks. 36 weeks, I'm pretty fat. It wasn't the pizza though! Promise. :)

Congrats! I'm sure you are radiating with beauty right now! rose.gif Best wishes on a safe and healthy delivery!