miSSingMyBabyMuch

Delay on Leaving for the US

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello VJers,

I hope you guys can help me with my inquiry. My interview is scheduled this August. If I get lucky and have my visa approved, I was planning to leave as soon as I can so I can be with my fiance. The thing is just recently, I had to deal with a big emergency in the family that requires me to be here in the Philippines maybe up until the end of the year. If I get my visa this August, will it still be good for use even if I leave around January time? Does the visas have like an expiration date that I have to use it before? I know this is another set back for us but its really necessary for me to stay here for awhile until my family issue is fixed. Thanks for your help!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

The visa is valid for 6 months. You have to enter the US before the six months is up.Good luck.

K-1

Feb.14 2012: Mailed I-129F

Aug.14 2012: NOA2!! (179 days)

Oct.4 2012: Interview! Approved!

Oct.12 2012: Visa in hand

Dec.02 2012: POE

AOS

March 9 2013 AOS packet sent

March 18 2013 NOA1

April 1 2013 Biometrics done (appointment April 11)

May 25 2013 EAD/AP received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I am sure someone wiser than I will come along and let you know.

Good luck and I hope everything is ok with your family!

Edited by Xanax

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Your visa will be valid for six months from the date of your medical exam.

Why don't you simply delay your interview? The USCIS-approved petition can be extended for up to one year. All you have to do to extend the petition is to keep the Embassy informed of your intentions.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

if its a fiancé visa (k1) for you to get married. then only 90 days to get to port of entry.

if its a spousal visa ( i 130 / k3 ) you have 6 months to make it to port of entry.

goodluck

You have 6 months for port of entry then 90 days Marry.

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

event.png

as1cJOU-M240000MDAwMDA4fDAwMDEzOThsfGJlY2FtZSBhIGNvdXBsZQ.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

if its a fiancé visa (k1) for you to get married. then only 90 days to get to port of entry.

if its a spousal visa ( i 130 / k3 ) you have 6 months to make it to port of entry.

goodluck

another wrong answer!

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Timeline

Why don't you simply delay your interview? The USCIS-approved petition can be extended for up to one year. All you have to do to extend the petition is to keep the Embassy informed of your intentions.

:thumbs: :thumbs:

I-129F Sent : 2012 Feb 29

I-129F NOA1 : 2012 Mar 06

I-129F NOA2 : 2012 July 09

NVC case number: 2012 July 24

NVC notice received: 2012 July 30

Medical Exam : 2012 Aug 13-14.. PASSED :)

INTERVIEW : 2012 Sept 13.. PASSED!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH, LORD!

VISA DELIVERED: 2012 Sept 19

AOS

sent - dec 7,2012

noa1 - dec10,2012

bio - jan 7,2013

ead approved - feb 1, 2013

ead on hand -

*** TO GOD BE THE GLORY ***

Timeline

The 6 months is based on the date of your medical exam. Example if you had you medical exam on August 1st your K1 visa would be good until Feb 1st, 2013. Now if your interview was August 19th and the visa was issued August 30th you need to enter the U.S. before Feb 1st.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is a very good suggestion :thumbs: -- delaying your interview coz approved petition has up to one year to get interview / visa. At least with this option, you won't be in trouble leaving for US while your family issue is not resolved yet, just in case. However, you need to consider also the expiration of your medical exam as what mentioned by Mik2012, when you opt to delay your interview --- as this matters a lot when you get to the US as you need to file for AOS. Hope you get things sort out very well - Goodluck and God bless !:)

"Last night I looked up at the stars and matched each one with a reason why I love you. I was doing great until I ran out of stars."-- by Kelsi

Hello VJers,

I hope you guys can help me with my inquiry. My interview is scheduled this August. If I get lucky and have my visa approved, I was planning to leave as soon as I can so I can be with my fiance. The thing is just recently, I had to deal with a big emergency in the family that requires me to be here in the Philippines maybe up until the end of the year. If I get my visa this August, will it still be good for use even if I leave around January time? Does the visas have like an expiration date that I have to use it before? I know this is another set back for us but its really necessary for me to stay here for awhile until my family issue is fixed. Thanks for your help!

The validity of the visa will be the shorter of the period of 6 months from the date of the interview and visa issuance OR to the one year expiration of the medical. SInce MOST people have the medical done and then the interview the validity of the visa is 6 months from the issue date after the interview. So you could post-pone the interview to give you additional time if your medical is recent. Once you receive the visa it is a good idea to see when it expires so you enter the US before that date. For us the wife had her interview and picked up the visa two days later, the expiration date was 6 months after the interview date when they approved her visa as she did her medical 2 weeks before the interview. So unless you did a very early medical or are placed in a long period of AP, your visa should be good for 6 months after the interview which would mean you could wait until February to enter the US. If you should post-pone the interview and arrive in teh US and then when you do the AOS the medical is more than 1 year ago, you will be required to do another medical with a US Civil Surgeon in the US, but I would not let that determine your course of action now. Do whatever is required to meet the family obligation and then get yourself to the US and deal with the immigration issues as they come up.

Good luck,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

To answer your question; you can delay your POE but take the below mentioned into consideration before delaying it too much. The K1 journey is flexible when you want to delay it at certain stages, indeed.

If you postpone your interview, please do yourself the favor of postponing medical too. The reason for that is when you have to adjust your status in the US(after marrying), you do not have to get another full medical if your medical done in home country is dated less than 12 months prior to filing AOS.

The validity of your medical is a year from the date is was done and if there's less than 6 months validity left on it by the time of your interview, then you will have equally less time until POE. So, if you had your medical done in january 2012, it would expire january 2013. If you had your visa interview in december 2012, your visa would expire en january 2013

Edited by moomin

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Timeline

Thank you for your well wishes for my family and for your helpful comments on my inquiry.

This is a very good suggestion :thumbs: -- delaying your interview coz approved petition has up to one year to get interview / visa. At least with this option, you won't be in trouble leaving for US while your family issue is not resolved yet, just in case. However, you need to consider also the expiration of your medical exam as what mentioned by Mik2012, when you opt to delay your interview --- as this matters a lot when you get to the US as you need to file for AOS. Hope you get things sort out very well - Goodluck and God bless !:)

Thanks for the suggestion. I dont think I need a whole year to get this resolved. I wanted to keep the August interview date because I'm not sure how this "situation" I have now will turn out. It could be resolved tomorrow or it could be resolved in a month or more. If it does get resolved, I will leave right away to be with my fiance.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

To answer your question; you can delay your POE but take the below mentioned into consideration before delaying it too much. The K1 journey is flexible when you want to delay it at certain stages, indeed.

If you postpone your interview, please do yourself the favor of postponing medical too. The reason for that is when you have to adjust your status in the US(after marrying), you do not have to get another full medical if your medical done in home country is dated less than 12 months prior to filing AOS.

The validity of your medical is a year from the date is was done and if there's less than 6 months validity left on it by the time of your interview, then you will have equally less time until POE. So, if you had your medical done in january 2012, it would expire january 2013. If you had your visa interview in december 2012, your visa would expire en january 2013

[/quote

This is news to me....so our initial interview was in January of 2012, second interview in March of 2012 and we have been in AP since. Will we hear something before the expiration date of January 2013?? I am sooo confused right now. :help:

Sorry, I'm not sure if I should just start a new post.....

I-129F

July of 2010: We met in Eritrean when I was on vacation.

August of 2010: Returned to U.S and we spoke on the phone everyday and still do (very costly).

December of 2010 to January 2011: went back to Eritrea to see him.

January 11, 2011- Engaged.

March 2, 2011: I-129F sent

March 13, 2012: Second interview. Placed on Administrative Processing.

October 16, 2012: Case sent back to USCIS

November 16, 2012 Case reaffirmed and sent back to the Department of State (according to the USCIS SITE)

November 28, 2012 Vermont Service Center received Petition back from Embassy.

March 2013- Returned K1 validity expired. Here we go again.... !

I-130

March 15, 2013 Married

April 29, 2013 Filed I-130

May 2, 2013: Received NOA1 via text/email

May 6, 2013: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail

XX- XX, 2013: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!

XX- XX, 2013: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail

XX- X, 2013: NVC received file

XX- X, 2013: NVC case number assigned

This is news to me....so our initial interview was in January of 2012, second interview in March of 2012 and we have been in AP since. Will we hear something before the expiration date of January 2013?? I am sooo confused right now. :help:

Sorry, I'm not sure if I should just start a new post.....

You should make certain you check the expiration date on the visa when you receive it. It is up to the Embassy as to whether you will need another medical in Kenya should the first one expire and you are still in AP. If 12 months has elapsed since the medical, you will need to do a new one in the US when you do the AOS. I am just not sure if you will need a new one in Kenya if it goes beyond 12 months since the first one and you are still in AP :o .

Good luck and may you find yourself out of AP soon,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.