krasimir

Benefits of a marriage with a permanent resident

13 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Burundi
Timeline

Hello,

I have a few simple questions.

First one is, what are my benefits, If I marry a permanent resident?

How the marriage can affect her citizen application when she applies later on?

And my last question is what is the procedure for transferring from F1 to a tourist visa? How long Is it takes? How long the tourist visa is good for and how Many times i can re-apply for it?

Thank you in advance for your answers and co-operation!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Topic has been moved from the K-1 forum to General Immigration Discussion as a permanent resident cannot sponsor a fiance, it appears the fiance is already in the US on another visa and there are a number of various, unrelated general immigration questions that are better addressed in this forum.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello,

I have a few simple questions.

First one is, what are my benefits, If I marry a permanent resident?

How the marriage can affect her citizen application when she applies later on?

And my last question is what is the procedure for transferring from F1 to a tourist visa? How long Is it takes? How long the tourist visa is good for and how Many times i can re-apply for it?

Thank you in advance for your answers and co-operation!

First question to be asked is how your fiancee became a permanent resident. Did she acquire her status via marriage to a US citizen? If so then she generally can't file any petitions for a new spouse until she's been a permanent resident for five years. She can ask for an exception to this rule if she can prove she entered the first marriage in good faith.

Presuming the above limitation doesn't apply, once you're married she can file an I-130 petition for you. It will take about 2 1/2 years before a visa number will be available to you. You can't apply for the F2A spousal visa until a visa number is available.

Being married usually doesn't have any affect on an LPR's ability to become a citizen. They need to have been an LPR for five years.

You can file an I-539 to change your status to B2, though it would probably be better if you can keep your F1 status if possible. Tourist visas are usually good for 10 years, but if you change to B2 status then you won't be getting a tourist visa - you'll just be getting B2 status. If you want the actual visa then you'll need to apply at a US consulate. Even with the visa, you can visit for no longer than six months at a time. If your change of status is approved then you can apply for an extension at least 45 days before your status expires. There's no guarantee that either the change of status or the extension would be approved.

What exactly are you planning on doing? Are you thinking you'll get married and then just stay in the US until you get a green card?

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

It's really complicated. I'm under f1 status now but the school which I'm going yo it's about to shut down and I will have no status anymore. I'm in pending for a green car thru my mom but still have 3-4 years. Meanwhile trying to figure what would be the best for me to do. Option one is b2 status but idk for how long I can get it. Other thing is to find a permanent resident and marry her than having some pending status. Kind a don't have any choice right now :(

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

How is that happening? There must be other international student going to that school and there has to be an arrangement for international student to transfer to another school without losing their status.

Unless you are losing your international status for some other reason than it would be different story.

Marrying someone just for the status would be visa fraud.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

It's really complicated. I'm under f1 status now but the school which I'm going yo it's about to shut down and I will have no status anymore. I'm in pending for a green car thru my mom but still have 3-4 years. Meanwhile trying to figure what would be the best for me to do. Option one is b2 status but idk for how long I can get it. Other thing is to find a permanent resident and marry her than having some pending status. Kind a don't have any choice right now :(

When you marry permanent resident pending status will not give you absolutely anything - you'll have to leave to country or you will accumulate overstay that will significantly jeopardize getting green card in the future (either based on marriage to permanent resident or through your mom).

Other thing is to find a permanent resident and marry her than having some pending status. Kind a don't have any choice right now :(

that's not right :no:

jF5Jm7.png

AOS from F1:
Day0 -- 2012.05.08 Sent packet through USPS
Day1 -- 2012.05.09 Packet delivered at 1:29pm
Day7 -- 2012.05.15 Emails/texts acceptance confirmation at 5:16pm
Day8 -- 2012.05.16 Checks been cashed in the morning
Day11--2012.05.19 I-797C 4 hard copies received.
Day14--2012.05.22 Biometrics Appointment received. Scheduled for June 5th.
Day15--2012.05.23 Biometrics Completed at 1:30pm (2 weeks earlier than the scheduled date)
Day27--2012.06.04 Card production ordered for EAD&AP
Day28--2012.06.05 Second card production ordered email received for EAD.(why?)
Day30--2012.06.07 EAD&AP Combo Card mailed
Day32--2012.06.09 EAD&AP Combo Card received
Day98--2012.08.14 Interview scheduled for Sep.18th @12:30pm(thank god I don't have school that day)
Day100-2012.08.16 Interview notice hard copy received
Day133-2012.09.18 Interview!! I-485 updated to Card Production around 3:30pm
Day134-2012.09.19 Online Update: I-130 approved; I-485 New permanent Resident Status Registered.
Day136-2012.09.21 Second Card production Email.
Day141-2012.09.26 GreenCard received. (Done for 2 years!)

ROC:

Day0 -- 2014.07.07 Sent package to CSC by USPS

Day1 -- 2014.07.08 Package delivered

Day3 -- 2014.07.10 Check has been cashed

Day4 -- 2014.07.11 I-797 Hard Copy Received

Day12--2014.07.19 Biometrics Appointment received. Scheduled for Aug 5th.

Day23--2014.07.30 Biometrics Completed @1pm (6 days early)

Day95--2014.10.10 Card Production

Filed: Timeline

You blow my mind. You have to find somebody to Marty to get you to stay in the US? I can't believe you just said that. That's called immigration fraud and don't try to turn this thing around into: I only marry her if I love her bla bla bla. Because of the statement you made above, we all know it isn't true. Where are you from? How about you go home where you came from & wait until your petition from your mom went through? Unbelievable

Filed: Timeline

No u miss understood me. We are together but we are not n stage of marriage yet ,sorry for the confusion.

I quote you: " one thing is to find a permanent resident and marry her ..." that doesn't sound like you already have somebody. This sounds like you are looking for someone to marry to stay in the states!

Timeline

I quote you: " one thing is to find a permanent resident and marry her ..." that doesn't sound like you already have somebody. This sounds like you are looking for someone to marry to stay in the states!

Its your oppinion if u are more curious send me ur email so I can send u some photos and scanned documents :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

IMO, marrying a permanent resident gets you no 'status' as usually (caveat) the permanent resident has no venue available to sponser a foreign spouse for an 'adjustment of status' case.

Semester is starting soon - transfer now.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.