LSnBigBear

Why meeting the minimum poverty guidelines is not enough

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

I think it should depend entirely on where you live. They're fine for where I live, but for other places, and other people's lifestyles, it just isn't enough.

I agree 100% although there are a lot of factors they will have to look at if they changed it based on location because where I live there are ppl that would look at the poverty guidelines and laugh bc they spend that much money on a 1 week vacation by just putting it on their black american express card while people like me who just meet the guidelines when last year and the year before I made more than double what I make now thanks to this economy. They should look at it case by case but I guess that would just make them even slower.

Edited by Lalo & Susana

event.png

event.png

Removal of Conditions
08/25/2015: I-751 Sent 08/28/2015: I-751 Delivered

09/04/2015: NOA1 Received 09/25/2015: Biometrics Appointment
TBA: Interview Appointment TBA: Removal of Conditions Approved

AOS
06/11/2013: I-485 & I-765 Sent
06/13/2013: NOA1 Received (AOS & EAD)
07/11/2013: Biometrics Appointment 08/15/2013: EAD Approved
08/26/2013: EAD Card Received 09/16/2013: Interview Waived Letter Received
11/20/2013: AOS Approved

K-1
06/21/2012: I-129F Sent 06/27/2012: I-129F NOA1

12/21/2012: NVC Received 12/28/2012: NVC Left
01/07/2013: Consulate Received 02/27/2013: Interview Date

03/05/2013: Visa Received 03/15/2013: US Entry

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I always wonder how a person meeting the minimum financial requirements can really afford taking care of 2 people. I mean mortgage/rent, utilities, gas, insurance etc etc... My man makes way more than the minimum he would have to make, in order to support me, and he can afford to do so. But I will be required to have a job. Making around $30,000/year would prolly just cover our mortage and utility bills...

~Sometimes you must live through the darkness in order to see the light~

♥ ♥ ♥ 11/30/2012 - We got married in San Diego, CA ♥ ♥ ♥

CoS from J1 to F1 now AoS

Day 00 - 01/02/2013 sent AOS package via USPS

Day 02 - 01/04/2013 package arrived in the am *patiently waiting for more*

Day 05 - 01/07/2013 received text messages for all 4 forms

Day 06 - 01/08/2013 checks been cashed

Day 08 - 01/10/2013 received NOAs for all four forms

Day 12 - 01/14/2013 received appointment letter for biometrics on 02/01/2013 but completed biometrics the same day

Day 27 - 01/29/2013 received email that our case is ready to be scheduled for an Interview :)

Day 29 - 01/31/2013 received an email that our Interview will be on March 6 2013!!!!!!!!!

Day 33 - 02/04/2013 received hardcopy of interview letter

Day 62 - 03/05/2013 EAD/AP approved

Day 63 - 03/06/2013 scheduled interview appointment - APPROVED

Day 66 - 03/09/2013 I130 & I485 Approval noitces arrived in the mail

Day 70 - 03/13/2013 EAD/ AP combo card arrives in the mail

Day 71 - 03/14/2013 Greencard arrives yay!!!

x7gf2rvxm9gk.png

Filed: Timeline

I feel the need to discuss this topic as I have a friend that is struggling financially and was when he brought his now wife here last year. I want those that are unsure financially to hear first hand the stresses that go along if you do not have the finances currently to cover the entire process.

For my friend he lost his job during the process and took a 75% cut in pay which put him just above the minimum requirements.

He had to borrow from a friend for her plane ticket here and borrow again from family for her AOS. My friend is plus 50 years young in age too. So he is not a 20 year old doing the process.

His wife felt the need to return to her country due to family reasons so he borrowed again to get her back.. Now she wants to come back to USA (they are on good terms marriage wise) but he is broke again and cannot afford her return ticket.

So for those on the boarder line understand the costs associated with the process. Costs that don't come up now but will in time: Here are the fees and costs as I see it:

Filing K1 fee: $340

Her/His Interview: $240

Travel to the region she needs for her medical and interview. In our case with my fiancee traveling to Manila I am looking at $400 if she stays from medical to interview.

So now before her flight here the minimum is $980.

Then my travel (optional) for her interview. $1800 plus housing, food etc. Add another $1500 for two weeks minimum.

Then her travel coming to USA. $900

Small fees for SS card, marriage etc. $200 conservatively.

AOS $1000.

Minus my travel which is optional we are looking at $3000 call it.

If a person makes $20,000 annually note that it takes some time to save 3k.

I only share this as my friend is heart broken because he is broke and his wife wants to come home to him and he cannot get her here. I cannot loan him money due to my above and saving more as I want to make it to my fiancees interview.

He owes so many people all due to him only making the minimum requirements when she arrived in USA.

I just say think before you petition as it is not a cheap process. Good luck to everyone.

come on now...how about his wife and your fiance help you guys atleast they pay for their medical and visa interview in the philippines i don't think they won't about to save for few months to help....my fiance he will help me....eventually he will pay for his medical and interview....at the beginning of fiance visa i was honest told him i need his help....even he work part time in the philippines he still manage to save money to help me.....

so give us reason why his wife and your fiance cannot help financially? i don't think she's disable? just saying!!!!! :blink:

or better yet if your friend cannot afford to bring someone here...why marry someone from there? and not here in the US?

i know it's hard to be in this situation. but crying here won't help your friend. better yet start asking the wife to start working....

Edited by takis

The longer it takes to happen the more you'll appreciate it when it does!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i guess my fiance is lucky to have me.. (i wish he can read the forums here) I shared with the expenses in this journey from the beginning and i even paid 70% in my hospital bill when i gave birth! But still he feels that he is always broke because of me.. *sigh

I wonder what he will feel if even a single peso for my commute i will ask him to send me...unsure.gif

Filed: Timeline

i guess my fiance is lucky to have me.. (i wish he can read the forums here) I shared with the expenses in this journey from the beginning and i even paid 70% in my hospital bill when i gave birth! But still he feels that he is always broke because of me.. *sigh

I wonder what he will feel if even a single peso for my commute i will ask him to send me...unsure.gif

Not sure about lucky but you are doing the right thing (and a requirement in my book) by being financially supportive. I think it's a sense of pride that is well earned when the beneficiary also comes to the table, even with very little.

The number one cause of divorce is finances, not cheating (i'll have to look for the source again since I know yah'all into sources).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

:thumbs: :thumbs:

You are soo right!!!! I appreciate this discussion overall. I surpass the minimum by a lot, but still the costs are difficult at times. It is our love which helps us triumph the stress and overwhelming weight of it all. My husband understands well that once he arrives in the States, it will be quite some time before we will be able to afford for him to go back and visit his home country. Sadly, money is an issue. We are choosing each other over money and all else.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

come on now...how about his wife and your fiance help you guys atleast they pay for their medical and visa interview in the philippines i don't think they won't about to save for few months to help....my fiance he will help me....eventually he will pay for his medical and interview....at the beginning of fiance visa i was honest told him i need his help....even he work part time in the philippines he still manage to save money to help me.....

so give us reason why his wife and your fiance cannot help financially? i don't think she's disable? just saying!!!!! :blink:

or better yet if your friend cannot afford to bring someone here...why marry someone from there? and not here in the US?

i know it's hard to be in this situation. but crying here won't help your friend. better yet start asking the wife to start working....

First of, the OP is not asking help for his friend who is in financial difficulty but rather want to share an idea on how big responsibility esp financial wise to enter a commitment such as bringing foreign partner.

Not all fiancé capable of helping financially. Me and my husband shared expenses. I paid all my expenses in the Philippines during our process as well as my airfare. My husband was saving for our small church wedding and my aos back then here in US, as he didn't want any delay when comes to my legal status here. Even so, some of small stuff for our wedding, I helped paid for it.

For me, it's the matter of understanding and being truthful all throughout the relationship. I know that my husband living paycheck to paycheck before I got here. It took him extremely savings and gave up things, just to visit me. And I'm always thankful for that. Relationship is not all about love but life that involves financial aspect. Each one should be involve and have better understanding of what's going on, to be able to help one another.

Edited by adiiann

Lifting Condition (I-751)

09/09/2011 - Sent the package to CSC

09/13/2011 - CSC received the package

09/15/2011 - CSC cashed check and NOA1 Received

09/26/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice Date (Sent)

10/13/2011 - Early Biometrics

10/19/2011 - Biometrics Appointment

10/26/2011 - GC expiration

11/25/2011 - Received RFE

11/28/2011 - Sent response to RFE

01/13/2012 - Ordered card production (Approved)

01/19/2012 - 10 yrs GC received

it is tough....Did his wife not work before she came here to help with the process in anyway.... it is tough to have to support both people but its love and u cant put a price on it.... he should have been honest with her and said sorry we just dont have the funds right now and like any good marriage she will understand....

habibill- No his wife did not work. She had two children from a previous life that he/they support as well. One issue he had was when he was making good money he spoiled them sending them 1500 usd monthly for expenses. He did not listen to my advice as he wanted them living in a nice flat with AC and all the ammentities of what he had. They then reduced to 1200 and not one of the reasons for her return to Phils is to move them to cheaper place and get their expenses to 600 monthly. They cannot afford as you can imagine to bring her kids to USA yet as well. He claims he was honest with her but unfortunantly this all happened first Q 2011 and her Visa was approved end of June 2011.

I explained to him back in 2009 from based on my experiences was not to give them so much and allow them to live similar to how they had been living but with improved medical and food. I tried to get through to him that once you start sending X amount it is hard to reduce that amount as we all are creatures of wants... I must give him credit for one thing. He gave up everything he had for her. He no longer golfs, goes out to dinners or does anything for entertainment. Obviously I know due to his lack of income. His entire thought process is to earn to support his new family.

Edited by LSnBigBear

Takis: Are you from the Philippines or any developing country? Because I know from the Phils standpoint that unemployment is higher than in USA,,,, and this is from the statistics they have for birth records etc which many in provincial areas never register due to no money and having their babies at home. SO whatever number you hear from unemployment in the RP it is good to add some percentages to it.

His wife at one time worked as a helper making about 60 dollars a month. Can anyone here raise two kids on 60 a month and save for medical and visa expenses? Not even in the Philippines can a person save on that little. She has no skills besides cleaning, washing etc. She has a high school diploma which in the Philippines does not get you far. Just to work in fastfood in the Philippines you sometimes need a degree. My fiancee is an education major and was a teacher earning 6000p a month or now $150 USD.

Just to put the Philippines in perspective. My fiancee earns after taxes about 5000p (120 roughly)a month. Rent 1000p (boarding house one room no AC) ; Food; 1800-2000p, internet 1000, (Internet cafe would be about the same) She then helps her brother in college and with her extra which is 1200p or 24 dollars.

Just helping you understand the differences. Thanks for your reply

Edited by LSnBigBear

I totally agree with original post. You should have this thought out to the "T". I had a back up plan if my k1 would of encountered problems and I never worried about money because I soaked up all the overtime my company allowed me and worked a second job. I'm not a big fan of allowing cosponsors if you don't make 125% poverty levels. I believe in hard work and make it happen by yourself.

The Buddha said "The more loving the more suffering"

By birth is not one an outcast,

By birth is not one a noble,but

By action is one an outcast,

By action is one a noble.

Buddha.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

This economy is hurting everyone not just VJ members and friends, be honest and try your best, hopefully she will understand you are trying.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

I feel the need to discuss this topic as I have a friend that is struggling financially and was when he brought his now wife here last year. I want those that are unsure financially to hear first hand the stresses that go along if you do not have the finances currently to cover the entire process.

For my friend he lost his job during the process and took a 75% cut in pay which put him just above the minimum requirements.

He had to borrow from a friend for her plane ticket here and borrow again from family for her AOS. My friend is plus 50 years young in age too. So he is not a 20 year old doing the process.

His wife felt the need to return to her country due to family reasons so he borrowed again to get her back.. Now she wants to come back to USA (they are on good terms marriage wise) but he is broke again and cannot afford her return ticket.

So for those on the boarder line understand the costs associated with the process. Costs that don't come up now but will in time: Here are the fees and costs as I see it:

Filing K1 fee: $340

Her/His Interview: $240

Travel to the region she needs for her medical and interview. In our case with my fiancee traveling to Manila I am looking at $400 if she stays from medical to interview.

So now before her flight here the minimum is $980.

Then my travel (optional) for her interview. $1800 plus housing, food etc. Add another $1500 for two weeks minimum.

Then her travel coming to USA. $900

Small fees for SS card, marriage etc. $200 conservatively.

AOS $1000.

Minus my travel which is optional we are looking at $3000 call it.

If a person makes $20,000 annually note that it takes some time to save 3k.

I only share this as my friend is heart broken because he is broke and his wife wants to come home to him and he cannot get her here. I cannot loan him money due to my above and saving more as I want to make it to my fiancees interview.

He owes so many people all due to him only making the minimum requirements when she arrived in USA.

I just say think before you petition as it is not a cheap process. Good luck to everyone.

It’s call tell the wife to get a job and help out! I don’t have much then a little over the minimum, some savings, and family help. But as soon as my husband gets his perm card he knows that he needs to work and help our family. And he and I know that no matter what our other family needs, our needs comes first. So in my opinion she needs to stand on her feet and help her husband out. Its America and women work in America #Just Saying

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Its America and women work in America #Just Saying

Why do you you hashtags like this is twitter or something??? and no , its "just typing" :bonk:

United-States-of-America-LH.gif Bryan and Isabel Brazil-Brasília-National-Flag-RH.gif

Gonzalez

Our Timeline

03/02/2011 - Engaged

USCIS / VSC

12/20/2011: Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockbox

02/16/2012: NOA1 Received, Forwarded to Vermont Service Center

XX/XX/2012: NOA2

NVC

XX/XX/2012: NVC received

XX/XX/2012: Case number

US Embassy Rio De Janeiro

XX/XX/2012: Embassy received

XX/XX/2012: Medical

XX/XX/2012: Interview

XX/XX/2012: Visa in hand

XX/XX/2012: POE Newark, New Jersey

FkP5m4.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.