gretchen_darren

cooking

48 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I should stress the reasons I post on here are to help me with my wife. the cooking and throwing out of food bothers me (besides reading with the kids at night when we have them here).... cooking very, very much (just one of those childhood things)

the cooking bothers me because of my ex, and how II had to make my own meals with my ex the last few years of marriage.... it sometimes had me "feeling" like I am still married to my ex. I am trying to get over this by reminding myself of other things with asawa ko. Plus trying to find a way to talk it over with her, realizing this may just be pregnancy related right now, or may be something I need to deal with.... but don't know how much relates to pregnancy since I do not know how much American food she likes.

I am drifting back to watching more cooking shows again... I just don't know if it is for her benefit or for mine.

I notice a LOT of visayan conversation at the family home to the point of exclusion of the Americans there. (there are just 2 Americans there, me plus the other guy.) I know he gets extremely frustrated because of it. Me, I am learning visayan so they cannot shut me out of the conversations....

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I am not sure I understand... your wife is pregnant, thinks she is hungry, cooks a lot of food, then throws it out, and you are bothered by the waste? Get her to freeze it?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hmmmm. I will be going ot visit my fiancee this coming week and they always cook way too much food. Especially rice and they throw it out to. I suggested they give it to the neighbors who have very little and they asked me why. So I asked Ann why she cooks so much and she says they never know who might show up so they want to be prepared for guest if they stop by.

When i visited her relatives in Quezon they did the same thing, lots and lots of food because they presumed since I was an american I needed to eat a lot.

I should stress the reasons I post on here are to help me with my wife. the cooking and throwing out of food bothers me (besides reading with the kids at night when we have them here).... cooking very, very much (just one of those childhood things)

the cooking bothers me because of my ex, and how II had to make my own meals with my ex the last few years of marriage.... it sometimes had me "feeling" like I am still married to my ex. I am trying to get over this by reminding myself of other things with asawa ko. Plus trying to find a way to talk it over with her, realizing this may just be pregnancy related right now, or may be something I need to deal with.... but don't know how much relates to pregnancy since I do not know how much American food she likes.

I am drifting back to watching more cooking shows again... I just don't know if it is for her benefit or for mine.

I notice a LOT of visayan conversation at the family home to the point of exclusion of the Americans there. (there are just 2 Americans there, me plus the other guy.) I know he gets extremely frustrated because of it. Me, I am learning visayan so they cannot shut me out of the conversations....

Darren,

Does it bother you because you think your wife should be the one doing the cooking rather than you? I wouldn't expect my wife to cook during her pregnancy if she didn't want to.

When my wife was working I did 90% of the cooking. I grill out almost every day except in the dead of winter. During hot weather I don't like to run the oven inside.

Now that Jena stays home with the baby everyday she does most of the cooking. She's been here almost five years and cooks almost 100% American style meals. Not because I ask for it, it's just what she prefers now. We only have rice about once per week, she prefers potatoes believe it or not.

As far as throwing out food, you could compost it. Do you have room for a garden? If not, you can use the compost in container gardening. It's a great hobby, saves money, and is a great lesson for kids.

Kev n Jena

thumb_Kyle_John_1_email.jpgthumb_Img_2057_web.jpgthumb_Pictures_429.jpg

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Pet Peeve for 2011 - supercilious, contemptuous, arrogant, attitudes.

How much cooking did she do before she came here?

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

How's that working out for you? :pop:

And...the saga continues... :pop:

NATURALIZATION
02/15/13 - Mailed N-400
02/19/13 - Received by Phoenix Lockbox (day 01)
02/21/13 - NOA1 issued (day 03)

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS (WIFE)
02/18/12 - Eligible for Removal of Conditions on Residence
03/23/12 - Mailed I-751 to CSC
03/26/12 - Received by CSC (day 01)
03/31/12 - Received NOA1 (day 06)
05/02/12 - Biometrics done (day 38)
10/23/12 - Received approval email (day 212)
11/01/12 - Received green card (day 221)

IR-2 (STEPDAUGHTER)
06/01/10 - Mailed I-130 petition
06/03/10 - Package delivered to USCIS (day 01)
06/08/10 - NOA1 issued (day 06)
11/03/10 - Received approval email (day 154)
11/08/10 - Received approval notice in mail (day 159)

NATIONAL VISA CENTER (STEPDAUGHTER)
11/08/10 - NVC received case from USCIS
11/09/10 - NVC case # & IIN generated, email addresses given, DS-3032 sent via email & USPS (day 01)
11/16/10 - Received and paid AOS bill (day 08)
11/17/10 - AOS bill marked as PAID; AOS packet express mailed (day 09)
11/19/10 - Received and paid IV bill; DS-3032 accepted (day 11)
11/22/10 - IV bill marked as PAID; IV packet express mailed (day 14)
12/03/10 - Sign-in failed (day 25)
12/09/10 - INTERVIEW SCHEDULED FOR JANUARY 10, 2011 @ 6:45AM
12/28/10 - Medical exam done at SLEC Manila - PASSED! (day 40)
01/10/11 - Interview at USEM Manila - APPROVED! (day 53)
01/21/11 - Stepdaughter received passport with IR-2 visa! (day 64)

1. Agreed, Gretchen should post more.

2. We have a policy in our home. We only cook food that both of us will eat. It eliminates some of my favorites and some of hers, but it keeps us a couple.

3. You shouldn't have to learn another language just so you won't get shut out. Like Nanay told Jessa, "you need to adjust to America and not expect America to adjust to you."

Darren,

I know many peoples lives revolve around food and meals. About 20 years ago I had to change my diet temporarily. I cut out all saturated fat and hydrogenated oils for over a year. It was very very difficult to get family members to spend time with me without centering that time around a meal. Any time I was invited over to someones house, they wanted to know what I wanted to eat. I would tell them, don't worry about me, lets just do something in between meals. It never seemed to work very well.

Maybe if you could stop focusing on food and the meal so much and replace it with some other activity it would be helpful. I know that's easy to say but harder to do.

After the baby is born you need to keep your wife well nourished if she's breast feeding. She probably won't feel like cooking the first few weeks.

Kev n Jena

thumb_Kyle_John_1_email.jpgthumb_Img_2057_web.jpgthumb_Pictures_429.jpg

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Pet Peeve for 2011 - supercilious, contemptuous, arrogant, attitudes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

** Several sexist, misogynistic posts removed as they violate the VJ TOS ****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

I guess it depends on how Pinay are brought up. cuz for me way back childhood days. mom would get mad if we waste food.

like when eating just get enough food that you can finish or else you'll be punish like washing the dishes

morning-day-night for a week. and like when cooking food and if there is left over make sure to put it on a food keeper

and put inside the ref when its cool already from heat. then the next day we can reheat and make sure to finish the left

over before cooking new fresh foodie again.

So I guess let your wife understand that, throwing food is not good. let her remember that lots of people here in the

Phil. starve, no food. and she is just throwing away. if she answers back that she's in the US and not in the Phil. anymore,

tell her that you work hard to earn money and that food was bought not to throw/just to waste it but to eat it. It's a Grace from God. =)

Edited by VirtualLee

Our Time Line
---------------------------
CR-1/CR-2
---------------------------

USCIS Stage: (13 DAYS)
Apr 15, 2012 - Filed I-130 ($420 x2)
Apr 19, 2012 - NOA-1
May 2, 2012 - NOA-2

NVC STAGE: (56 DAYS)
05/21/12 - Case finally entered into NVC system
05/25/12 - Received case #, IIN, and BIN, gave e-mail addresses, sent optin e-mail
05/25/12 - Received info package and AOS bill e-mails from NVC
05/25/12 - AOS bill invoiced & paid ($88)
05/29/12 - AOS bill appears as PAID
06/01/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & PAID ($230 x2)
06/04/12 - IV Bill Shows PAID
06/15/12 - AOS & IV Packages sent
07/02/12 - RFE email received
07/06/12 - Sent NSO copy of MC and BC
07/16/12 - Case Complete (2nd Wedding Anniversary)
08/01/12 - Interview Date Assigned -->>>>(Sept.5, 2012@ 6:15am)

Medical/CFO / Consulate / POE:
08/29/2012-------- Medical Exam: PASSED
08/30/2012 ---------Advance CFO @SMEF-COW
09/05/2012-------- Interview: VISA APPROVED!!!!

09/11/2012 ------- VISA RECEIVED!
10/02/2012 -------- POE = Honolulu, Hawaii
Welcome to Hawaii

10/18/2012 - received 10yr. GC & SSN#

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.