David-Hien

What should the Asian women do for their lives and their families if they married to American citizen men?

91 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The U.S. is the paradise that the poor families in Asian countries dream to live in. Under special types of visa such as fiancé and marriage visa, the legal process will be fast and inexpensive because there are the American citizen husbands who sponsor and pay for their wives’ process fees. In order to enter the US by this method, there are many Asian women accepted to leave their families and friends, quit their jobs, and get married to an American citizen to have an adventure in a new country. So, how are the lives of these Asian wives in the U.S.? Should these women leave their countries to hope for better lives or to stay on their poor countries?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Legal process fast and cheap?

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

What did your fiancee do? Should she have stayed in Vietnam with her family or should she have quit everything to go to U.S and marry her american citizen fiance (at the time)?

03/17/2011- Mailed K1 petition

03/25/2011- Email and text NOA1, routed to VSC

03/25/2011- Check cashed

07/05/2011- NOA2, USCIS website, text and email!
10/04/2011- Interview, APPROVED!
10/23/2011- POE - Dulles
11/08/2011- WEDDING!
11/15/2011- Applied for SSN
01/18/2012- AOS package sent
01/24/2012- NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP
01/25/2012- Check cashed for AOS
02/16/2012- AOS & EAD biometrics
02/13/2012- AOS case transferred to CSC
02/21/2012- AOS application received at CSC
03/15/2012- EAD/AP cards approved
03/26/2012- EAD/AP combo card received
07/30/2012- Service Request on AOS, past 6 months mark...
08/28/2012- Ombudsman & Senator contacted, past 7 months mark...
09/04/2012- AOS Approved!
09/10/2012- GC in hand!

08/13/2014- Mailed I-751(ROC) package to VSC

08/15/2014- Delivered

08/18/2014- NOA1/Letter of Extension

08/20/2014- Check cashed

09/17/2014- Biometrics

02/18/2015- Card Production Ordered/ Approved!

ejXGm5.pngSDeHm4.png

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Be fierce! Be consistent, know no bounds, take pleasure in the little things, make love your sole focus, don't submit until you have absolutely no way out........

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Process is neither fast nor inexpensive.

But youalso cannot say "yes, it is the right thing" or "no, they should stay home". It depends on the individual case. Some people will adjust to the new life- and it IS a big culture shock, especially if the woman comes from a small rural village- some will never adjust, and/ or will find that long-distance courtship is quite different from everyday life. The important thing is to go into this "adventure" with open eyes, to talk not just with your fiancee but also others, and to realise that while the USC may be able to "throw his cash around" in Vietnam (or any other relatively poor country), once a life is made as a couple in the USA, they may be comparatively poor.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

. So, how are the lives of these Asian wives in the U.S.? Should these women leave their countries to hope for better lives or to stay on their poor countries?

IMHO the lives of these woman are as varied as the life of any other person in the US and only each one of them can really give you the answer as to whether they should leave/have left their countries.

No one can make the argument or judge these women for their actions, moreover it would be an exercise in futility to engage in the 'what if' scenarios possible based on what their actions were not.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

I don't understand what the question or point is here?

Just let people raise their ideas. You will see many different ideas.

This is one of my essay's topic that I created by myself. It is good when you know what your wife is thinking about her new life. It is not complanation or fighting, but a study of my experience and life here, the US. I will post my idea later. It is the newest study; therefore, I have to submit my essay before I post it.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Just let people raise their ideas. You will see many different ideas.

This is one of my essay's topic that I created by myself. It is good when you know what your wife is thinking about her new life. It is not complanation or fighting, but a study of my experience and life here, the US. I will post my idea later. It is the newest study; therefore, I have to submit my essay before I post it.

Your research will be flawed as the responses are not a random sampling of a population. This post will not yield an appropriate sampling of responses for reliable research. If you are looking for a biased Essay you are on the right track.

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

Your research will be flawed as the responses are not a random sampling of a population. This post will not yield an appropriate sampling of responses for reliable research. If you are looking for a biased Essay you are on the right track.

well, if it is a biased essay, I will be done. I have to do it good and make a stance. If you are an English teacher, you know it well.

My conclusion: "In short, I think that the couples have two countries to choose for their life, so why don't they do that in both for their life and vacations? The USA is not the bad country to live, but it is not the only place to live."

Do you know what the Vietnamese wives do in the USA? We have a group help each other to do business. Looking at what they are doing, I feel proud of them.

Edited by David-Hien

well, if it is a biased essay, I will be done. I have to do it good and make a stance. If you are an English teacher, you know it well.

My conclusion: "In short, I think that the couples have two countries to choose for their life, so why don't they do that in both for their life and vacations? The USA is not the bad country to live, but it is not the only place to live."

Do you know what the Vietnamese wives do in the USA? We have a group help each other to do business. Looking at what they are doing, I feel proud of them.

IMHO, for your research, better to find social science studies rather than ask for personal experiences in an online forum.

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Not an 'English' teacher, but I did more than my share of research working on my dissertation...

You have been a member of this group for many years and should have seen that many of the couples are in VN now and not the US... Many have immigrated from VN only to later have a second home in VN for holiday and long term family visits (the motivation for immigration varies based on visa, or should.. many use the wrong visa to get here)... At some point it becomes economically inefficient to have homes in both VN and US... it becomes a matter of choosing one over another... In most it boils down to pure economics, freedoms and opportunities that cause them to choose US over VN (or many other countries).. depending on the industry some can make a great living in VN, a few here can atest to that, but those are specific fields with skills in high demand only...

Your conclusion is a question? The conclusion should not be what you think, but rather what the evidence or research determines... What you think is what is said in the Introduction...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

A lot of asians do think that the US is more or less paradise. They do try to get here with that mind set. But USC do try to go over there as well. Some USC want to go there with the money made here. Some places are just crowded, so growing up there you would always have friends around. The notion of being inexpensive and quick is ludicrous. It's somewhat inexpensive to the beneficiary because they are poor to begin with. Are they going to send the filing fee when they can barely afford food? Sending documents for filing is maybe the extent of the beneficiary's expenses. The I-130 is now quicker than the K3 visa, but having already waited for 5 months I can assure you that its not quick. For the application to sit for that long untouched and unassigned is obviously too long. Yes the debate about waiting does weed out some who really werent in love, but you dont want to give up any time without someone when you really love them. It is accepted in those countries because so many do it. Just think how here there are 'freedoms' yet many gays stay in the closet. A higher percentage of the poplation in the asian countries are active in religion (church.. ect) but yet its 'acceptable' to be gay there which is against the religion. Its just accepted there. Whether its a better choice to stay there or leave for the US is just that, a choice. When they can see the future and how things play out, be sure to let me know.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Should these women leave their countries to hope for better lives or to stay on their poor countries?

Isn't it their decision. Our opinion doesn't count :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.