RichF

When To Apply

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Heya

Me and my fiancé are planning our wedding for March 2014.

We are wondering when we should begin our visa application.

I am planning on flying out 3 weeks before the wedding to arrange our house and the final wedding plans.

Can anyone advise on when we should start our application.

Baring in mind if the visa came through before sept 2013 it would expire before I plan on entry into the US!

Thanks

Rich

2008 - Met Amber Online Whilst I Was Working in GA.

07 - 2011 - Met For The First Time Whilst I Was On Vacation in FL

12 - 2011 - Visited Amber for a Week

04 - 2012 - Spent 10 Days in SC - Engaged

08 - 2012 - Amber visited UK for 16 days.

12-2012 - Spending 14 days in SC -Wedding Planning

http://4000milesmakestheheartgrowfonder.wordpress.com

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline

Here's a timeline of how long the K-1 typically takes to process: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/stats.php

From what I've heard it usually takes about 6 months.

belgium-flag.gift4518.gifunitedstates.gif

Timeline

Heya

Me and my fiancé are planning our wedding for March 2014.

We are wondering when we should begin our visa application.

I am planning on flying out 3 weeks before the wedding to arrange our house and the final wedding plans.

Can anyone advise on when we should start our application.

Baring in mind if the visa came through before sept 2013 it would expire before I plan on entry into the US!

Thanks

Rich

Do not make any concrete plans until the visa is in your hand. The initial process is approximately 5-6 months but it could be longer. Then there are further stages which can also involve delays. Many people here, including me :D , have an official wedding at the courthouse to satisfy the K-1 requirements of marrying within 90 days and then arrange a non-legal wedding ceremony for a later date once they have settled in and sent off all the AOS paperwork.

Here's a timeline of how long the K-1 typically takes to process: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/stats.php

From what I've heard it usually takes about 6 months.

The initial part is 5-6 months, then there are additional months after. This is provided there are no delays like an RFE etc.

Apply TODAY. You might make it for your March wedding if you apply now. There are no guarantees, however.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Do not make any concrete plans until the visa is in your hand. The initial process is approximately 5-6 months but it could be longer. Then there are further stages which can also involve delays. Many people here, including me :D , have an official wedding at the courthouse to satisfy the K-1 requirements of marrying within 90 days and then arrange a non-legal wedding ceremony for a later date once they have settled in and sent off all the AOS paperwork.

The initial part is 5-6 months, then there are additional months after. This is provided there are no delays like an RFE etc.

Brilliant thanks for your help.

So if we appy at Christmas 2012 that should be around the right time?

Timeline

Apply TODAY. You might make it for your March wedding if you apply now. There are no guarantees, however.

Surely its too early for March 2014

I'd personally apply in March of 2013. That gives you a year for paperwork. That should be enough, but don't make any plans that you cannot cancel or change the date for, because who knows what could happen.

Timeline

Surely its too early for March 2014

Yes, now is too early but no one can tell you when would be a good time to apply. This process is different for everyone and there can be all kinds of delays. It is advised that you do not make any concrete wedding plans until you have the visa in your hand. I know this makes it difficult for planning but you don't want to have to cancel and lose all of your deposits.

The visa is valid for 6 months after the date of issue and you must marry within 90 days of entry to USA. That gives you some time to plan once the visa has been granted.

Have you seen the K-1 Flowchart? It gives you a best case scenario of the times involved.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Wait, I'm confused. Are you applying for a K1 visa or spouse visa? Which country are YOU in and where is your fiance. And what country are you planning on getting married in. You seem to imply you're flying to your fiance's country to get married THERE. If so, you couldn't file for a K1 visa.

But if you are going THERE to get married, you cannot file a spouse visa until AFTER the wedding.

So I'm very confused about your plan.

Oh wait, so I'm guessing your fiance is the one in the states, and you are in the UK?

I think you're going to have a hard time planning it all just right so that you get your visa in that window. You might need to be a bit more flexible with your wedding plans.

Oh, 2014, I read 2013 (who has a 2-year engagement? :P). If you are getting married in 2014 (nearly two years away) then I agree with Evylin, March 2013 is good.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Oh, 2014, I read 2013 (who has a 2-year engagement? :P). If you are getting married in 2014 (nearly two years away) then I agree with Evylin, March 2013 is good.

We're having a nearly 2 year engagement as we both want to be on a sound financial footing for when we get married.

It's looking like March 2013 will be the best time to apply.

Timeline

If you're willing to wait so long, why not get married in the UK or US, then you or he go back home, and apply for a CR1? It's cheaper and you won't have to AOS and go through two interviews like for a K-1.

We want to go through the K1 route as once were married we want to be together rather than still being apart. My fiancé has a daughter and that is the main reason we want to take the K1 route so that we can be a family once married.

We want to go through the K1 route as once were married we want to be together rather than still being apart. My fiancé has a daughter and that is the main reason we want to take the K1 route so that we can be a family once married.

Good reason. That was my reasoning for the K1 as well. I'd rather be apart for the engagement than for the first year of marriage! Good luck to you when it's time to file. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.