10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

okay so im here in Texas now just arrived Wednesday..i wanna know after our wedding what do we need to do?coz of course i also need to change my last name to his lastname..where do we need to go?and how can i get SS number?is it after the adjustment of status?

370418_1562884728_2125458315_q.jpg

First of all, you don't NEED to change your last name. Do it if you want.

You can go apply for your SSN right now. Or if you want it in your married name, go ahead and go to the SSA after marriage and bring your ID as well as your marriage certificate to apply. You need to apply for this before your I-94 expires, otherwise you'll have to wait until you have your green card.

File the AOS as soon as possible after marriage. There's no time requirement, but the sooner you apply, the easier your life will be. Read the guides about filing for AOS as well as EAD (work authorization) and AP (travel authorization)... EAD and AP are free if you file for AOS, and generally take about 2-3 months to approve. Once you receive that combo card, you can work while you wait for your green card.

If you want your married name on your green card, make sure to apply for it in your married name.

Edited by Evylin

If you just arrived last Wednesday you have to wait for at least 14 days after your POE before going to SSN office because your record may not shown on their system yet

and after your marriage if you wanted to change your last name to your married name you have to do that 30 days before the expiration of your I-94 attached to your passport

or else you may not be able to change it to your married name anymore.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Here's the Step by Step on how to get the SSN# http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

I was advised to try and make it to their offices at the earliest convenience or, at least, 2 weeks prior to the expiration of the i-94; otherwise they can give you a hard time and then you won't be able to get until you completed AOS and have your GC in hand.

I was going to go get it today, but it's raining no0pb.gif.. I'll go tomorrow!

Do we have to pay any fee when getting our SSN#? I didn't read anything about it on the Step by Step, but doesn't hurt to ask.

Edited by Celeste & C

Here's the Step by Step on how to get the SSN# http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

I was advised to try and make it to their offices at the earliest convenience or, at least, 2 weeks prior to the expiration of the i-94; otherwise they can give you a hard time and then you won't be able to get until you completed AOS and have your GC in hand.

I was going to go get it today, but it's raining no0pb.gif.. I'll go tomorrow!

Do we have to pay any fee when getting our SSN#? I didn't read anything about it on the Step by Step, but doesn't hurt to ask.

Social Security Numbers are free. :thumbs:

Edited by LeftCoastLady

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

If you just arrived last Wednesday you have to wait for at least 14 days after your POE before going to SSN office because your record may not shown on their system yet

and after your marriage if you wanted to change your last name to your married name you have to do that 30 days before the expiration of your I-94 attached to your passport

or else you may not be able to change it to your married name anymore.

I arrived 13th March and applied for SSN 15th. Got it no problems.

AOS Timeline
Filed 15th June, 2012
NOA date 18th June
Bio appt 20th July
Transferred to CSC 21st July, 2012
EAD/AP approved 27th August.
Received Green Card 6th October. No Interview. Amazing!
Thanks for all the help, see you again in June 2014

ROC Timeline

Mailed Package 30th June 2014

I-797 received 5th July, 2014

Biometrics Appointment 07/30/2014.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I arrived 13th March and applied for SSN 15th. Got it no problems.

Yup, it's like that for some, but not all. The 14 days of grace are just so there are less chances that you'll have to do a 2nd trip to the office, because they couldn't find your information.

Both things are valid good.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.