Kath & Nate

Can my fiancee stop in a foreign country on way to U.S?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I looked through other similar topics and could not find any specifics about this particular issue. Our K1 was approved last week. My fiancee and our daughter are traveling from Manila to NYC on 5/26. The itinerary includes a 15+ hour layover in Tokyo. I rented a hotel room so they can get some sleep. I'm concerned that immigration may have a rule about beneficiaries entering a country on their way to the U.S. The interviewer asked questions about my fiancee visiting other countries during the interview which leads me to believe they have concern about beneficiaries entering foreign countries prior to entering the U.S.

Does anyone know if this is an issue? Should my fiancee just find the most comfortable bench in the airport for 15 hours to be safe?

Thank you!!

Kath & Nate

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I looked through other similar topics and could not find any specifics about this particular issue. Our K1 was approved last week. My fiancee and our daughter are traveling from Manila to NYC on 5/26. The itinerary includes a 15+ hour layover in Tokyo. I rented a hotel room so they can get some sleep. I'm concerned that immigration may have a rule about beneficiaries entering a country on their way to the U.S. The interviewer asked questions about my fiancee visiting other countries during the interview which leads me to believe they have concern about beneficiaries entering foreign countries prior to entering the U.S.

Does anyone know if this is an issue? Should my fiancee just find the most comfortable bench in the airport for 15 hours to be safe?

Thank you!!

Kath & Nate

US Immigration doesn't have any issues with layovers, and that's exactly what this is... a VERY LONG layover, but a layover nonetheless. good.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You need to check what are the Japanese requirements. I had to change my wife's flight when she originally came to the U.S. on a K-1 visa. The original flight was going to be from Moscow to London to Toronto to DFW. We had to change the flight because Canada would not allow her to have a 4 hour layover unless she had a visa for Canada.

Here is a good site for travel visa planning. http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/plan_flight/international_travel_information/visa_passport_information/

It says the following: A citizen of Philippines does not need a visa to transit through Japan as long as the layover is less than 72 hours and they have appropriate visas for the destination country.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Why would they ? What if beneficiary lives in a country that does not have direct flight to US ??

It's one thing to have a connecting flight in a foreign airport. It's another thing to stay as a "visitor" in that country.

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

05/12-05/22/10-met my sweetheart and family(had lots of fun!)
12/13-12/26/11-met again for engagement/Christmas
04/10/12-I-129F petition sent
04/13/12-USPS delivery confirmation
04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
04/21/12-NOA1(receipt 04/17/12)
10/10/12-NOA2 text
10/15/12-NOA2 letter received
10/27/12-NVC letter received
11/28/12-Medical Exam-PASSED
12/07/12-K-1 Interview-APPROVED

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
03/27/13-AOS,EAD,AP delivered
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received
04/26/13-Biometrics appointment(walk-in done 04/17)

06/03/13-EAD card production/AP post decision approval

06/10/13-EAD/AP combo card received

04/04/14-AOS card production/decision

04/11/14-NOA2 welcome to the USA

04/12/14-Received GC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is a real issue. She will not be allowed out of the airport without at least a Japanese transit visa. I doubt that it is worth going to the trouble for a layover. It would probably be cheaper to get a different flight schedule.

Once when I, a U.S. citizen, was flying to Manila, I had to change planes in Beijing. My incoming flight arrived at the international terminal, but my connecting flight departed from the domestic terminal. The Chinese customs agents were not going to let me out of the international airport terminal without a valid visa to China. I had to request a supervisor, and it took almost 15 minutes for me to get permission to go my connecting gate.

Congratulations on your approval!

Thank you!!

Kath & Nate

donald -n- analyn

For Filipino events on the Space Coast, see our organization's web site.

2006-09-21 :: met online

2007-05-23 :: first met in Philippines

2009-03-22 :: welcome to USA, POE Detroit!!!

2009-06-13 :: married in Florida!!!

2010-03-18 :: AoS approved, no interview :-)

See our timeline for the riveting details! Good luck on YOUR journey!

Filed: Country: Poland
Timeline

Here is a good site for travel visa planning. http://www.delta.com...rt_information/

It says the following: A citizen of Philippines does not need a visa to transit through Japan as long as the layover is less than 72 hours and they have appropriate visas for the destination country.

Yes, but the OP has booked the hotel. Unless it is a capsule inside the security zone, his fiancee would have to get through Japanese border agents.

For that she will need at least transit visa.

Information for obtaining Japanese transit visa is here: http://www.ph.emb-japan.go.jp/visiting/new%20visa/transit.htm

It is free for Philippino nationals.

Thank you!!

Kath & Nate

she needs to have a Japanese transit visa or she just stay inside the airport =( that was supposed to be my flight before then my husband changed it wherein I got Manila to Taiwan to California then NYC (JFK Airport)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Good luck working it out, transit visa or similar type if you leave the airport or get a closer flight so you do not leave the Airport. Good luck.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you!!

Kath & Nate

With the money you will spend on hotel, maybe you could spend that on a better deal on the tickets? My wife came and her son came by japan. They only stayed japan 2hrs. 15hrs is too long.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.