FERLEM

CO-SPONSOR FORM?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get all my package together ,but I have a few questions regarding our co-sponsor situation. Is there a form she needs to fill out stating she will be our co-sponsor?I will also have my employer write a letter stating that I'm a full time employee,BUUUUUUT I'm not sure on how can we word the letter since I'm a server,in other words, I make minimum wage PLUS tips.So , I don't know what to say??Should I say something like ...I make an average of $17 dollars an hour??OMG guys I feel so stressed out and even though I try to stay positive sometimes I have my doubts and I feel like we r going to get denied because I didn't work much last year(I was living with my fiance over seas) and then my co-sponsor she barely met the poverty guidelines for last year....I'm sooooo sad..I don't know what else can I do in order to prove the immigration officer that we are not a couple of freeloaders :-(

HELP PLEASEEEE!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get all my package together ,but I have a few questions regarding our co-sponsor situation. Is there a form she needs to fill out stating she will be our co-sponsor?I will also have my employer write a letter stating that I'm a full time employee,BUUUUUUT I'm not sure on how can we word the letter since I'm a server,in other words, I make minimum wage PLUS tips.So , I don't know what to say??Should I say something like ...I make an average of $17 dollars an hour??OMG guys I feel so stressed out and even though I try to stay positive sometimes I have my doubts and I feel like we r going to get denied because I didn't work much last year(I was living with my fiance over seas) and then my co-sponsor she barely met the poverty guidelines for last year....I'm sooooo sad..I don't know what else can I do in order to prove the immigration officer that we are not a couple of freeloaders :-(

HELP PLEASEEEE!!

The co-sponsor will need have enough income to meet the 125% poverty level requirement for their household size plus the beneficiary. You would each fill out your own separate I-134 forms, and provide a letter from employer, 2011 tax transcript, and a few months worth of their most recent pay stubs. The co-sponsor will also need to provide proof of being a USC or LPR with a copy of a birth certificate, certificate of naturalization, a copy of the bio page of U.S. passport, or front and back copy of green card.

Have your employer state your salary, if it is $7.50 and hour plus tips, then it should state that. Estimate how much you will earn for the year by figuring your typical average pay per hour times how many hours you work a week, times 52 weeks to get an annual current income total. If you wish to explain yourself, then attach a statement about your 2011 taxes showing below the 125% level because you were living abroad and not working part of the year. Add that you are now working full time and earning enough so your future spouse will not become a public a charge once you are married and living together in the US.

By the way, if you make $17 an hour, why do you need a co-sponsor? How large is your household size?

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

The co-sponsor will need have enough income to meet the 125% poverty level requirement for their household size plus the beneficiary. You would each fill out your own separate I-134 forms, and provide a letter from employer, 2011 tax transcript, and a few months worth of their most recent pay stubs. The co-sponsor will also need to provide proof of being a USC or LPR with a copy of a birth certificate, certificate of naturalization, a copy of the bio page of U.S. passport, or front and back copy of green card.

Have your employer state your salary, if it is $7.50 and hour plus tips, then it should state that. Estimate how much you will earn for the year by figuring your typical average pay per hour times how many hours you work a week, times 52 weeks to get an annual current income total. If you wish to explain yourself, then attach a statement about your 2011 taxes showing below the 125% level because you were living abroad and not working part of the year. Add that you are now working full time and earning enough so your future spouse will not become a public a charge once you are married and living together in the US.

By the way, if you make $17 an hour, why do you need a co-sponsor? How large is your household size?

she is estimating that is what she makes per hour. Minimum wage plus tips. But unless she claims the amount she makes in tips when she does her tax returns there is no way to prove how much she gets.

Timeline

Hi Jay-Kay ,

My household is just my mother and I,but I need a co-sponsor because last year I only made $5,000 dollars and because my pay stubs show that I make $8.00 dollars and hour ,but if I add my tips I actually make around that ($17 an hour) ..u know what I mean? I wanted to send my 3 year tax-returns and attach a letter stating the reasons why I didn't make much AND have a co-sponsor just in case...what so you think I should do?THANK UUUUUU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP :-)I'M SOOOOO SCARED

Timeline

she is estimating that is what she makes per hour. Minimum wage plus tips. But unless she claims the amount she makes in tips when she does her tax returns there is no way to prove how much she gets.

True! I actually pay taxes in my tips and I do report all of my tips,but some days are good and some days are bad. That's why I got a co-sponsor just to not give them any excuses to deny him the visa.

Do you know if it is even possible to have 2 co-sponsors?

Timeline

Hi Jay-Kay ,

My household is just my mother and I,but I need a co-sponsor because last year I only made $5,000 dollars and because my pay stubs show that I make $8.00 dollars and hour ,but if I add my tips I actually make around that ($17 an hour) ..u know what I mean? I wanted to send my 3 year tax-returns and attach a letter stating the reasons why I didn't make much AND have a co-sponsor just in case...what so you think I should do?THANK UUUUUU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP :-)I'M SOOOOO SCARED

Having a co-sponsor lined up and ready to go in case they want one is not a bad idea. Is your mother a dependent on your taxes? If not, she is not in your household count, and you only need enough for a household size of 2, you and your fiancee.

True! I actually pay taxes in my tips and I do report all of my tips,but some days are good and some days are bad. That's why I got a co-sponsor just to not give them any excuses to deny him the visa.

Do you know if it is even possible to have 2 co-sponsors?

I understand. If you had a full year's worth of work before, it would easier to estimate your current income based on your wages and tips filed on your taxes. As it is, it is hard to prove income that fluctuates. Just provide any and all evidence you possibly can, including bank statements that show the amounts you deposit into your account, if that would help.

No. For an I-134 you can only have one co-sponsor. No combining of incomes. The co-sponsor needs to make enough on their own for their own household size plus the beneficiary.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hi Jay-Kay. Thanks for that info. All along I thought we could have as many co-sponsors as we wanted. Just another question: does the affidavit of support need to be notarized? Coz I saw some who said they did but it wasn't mentioned in the VJ guide.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi Jay-Kay. Thanks for that info. All along I thought we could have as many co-sponsors as we wanted. Just another question: does the affidavit of support need to be notarized? Coz I saw some who said they did but it wasn't mentioned in the VJ guide.

Nothing in this process needs to be notarized unless instructed otherwise by USCIS or the Embassy.

Some countries do not accept co-sponsors unless they are close relatives... you may want to double check this information in the regional area of this forum, for Singapore.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi Celeste, thanks for clarifying. Will go ask in the Singapore board. Btw, I read your recount of your interview experience. Honestly made me tear up a little. Congrats on your big day! :)

Thanks good.gifIt was hard to be accused of something I hadn't done but thankfully everything worked out for the best rose.gifbiggrin.gif

Remember to read the guides thoroughly, that way, if you have any additional questions, you can organize all of them and not miss an answer.. or even start a one new post with ALL the things you are having difficulties with.

Timeline

I know Hong Kong asks for the I-134 to be notarized, but most every other consulate does not. Like Celeste said, just check the directions for the Singapore consulate and/or ask in the regional forum about that and co-sponsors.

By the way, you can technically have more than co-sponsor if you have several lined up. They just cannot combine incomes to reach the requirement. The consulate only needs, and will only use one of them though, so it is a waste of time to gather several from different people. You just need one solid co-sponsor with enough income for their own household size plus the beneficiary.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hi Jay-Kay. Ok, I get what you mean. Thanks; that's really helpful. Just posted a question on that in Singapore. It's still a long way for us coz we just got our NOA1 but it's good to be mentally prepared for the possible additional fees and docs we will need. This website and the forumers have been godsend!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.