Bad_Daddy

PhD holder forced to go on food stamps

23 posts in this topic

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/even-a-phd-couldn-t-keep-this-man-off-food-stamps.html

By Mandi Woodruff | Business Insider – Wed, May 9, 2012 1:55 PM EDT

Tony Yang is getting beaten to a pulp.

He's not wanted by mobsters nor is he another Cybercrime bully. The former University of California doctoral student (c/o '09) just says that's what it feels like each quarter when he wraps up an adjunct teaching gig and goes home without a permanent job offer.

"It can be very tough on the pysche," he told the Chronicle of Higher Education. "The darkest moment had to be when I finished my dissertation. I turned it in and there (was) no job ... So when I graduated, the first thing I had to do was file for unemployment."

As a kid, his family supplemented their income with food stamps. Decades later, he found himself in the same position, applying for welfare to get by when his doctoral degree wasn't enough to bring home a steady paycheck.

After the recession took hold in 2007, the rate of PhD holders who've filed for government assistance more than tripled to 33,655 by 2010, according to data collected by Austin Nichols, a senior researcher with the Chronicle's Urban Institute.

Other graduates of continuing education weren't far behind. Of the nation's 22 million master's degree holders, nearly 360,000 applied for food stamps by 2010 – also triple the rate before the recession.

And it's not just an anemic job market that's stunted graduate students' personal economies. They're chipping away at record-breaking student debt loads, while many rely on temporary teaching stints that often don't last longer than a semester.

"Others are trying to raise families or pay for their children's college expenses on the low and fluctuating pay they receive as professors off the tenure track, a group that now makes up 70 percent of faculties," the Chronicle's Stacy Patton writes. "Many bounce on and off unemployment or welfare during semester breaks. And some adjuncts have found themselves trying to make ends meet by waiting tables or bagging groceries alongside their students."

Like Yang, who holds a PhD in History from the University of California, many graduates are delaying marriage until they can afford the walk down the aisle.

"That's terribly frustrating, because your life is on hold until the economy picks up," he said. "If I have to get psychologically beaten up every quarter, I'm just not gonna care at some point. And there are many who don't care."

As it stands, today's twenty-somethings are toting around an average of $45,000 in debt, which PNC Financial Services estimates will nearly double to $80,000 by the time they hit their thirties.

Ginger Dean, founder of personal finance blog Girls Just Wanna Have Funds, was on track to get her PhD in psychology. Then she took a look at the $120,000 price sticker, did a little math and decided against it.

"While I was accepted to a few programs, shelling out $80-$120k in extra student loans for a $5k annual difference in pay wasn’t worth it for me," she said. "I also had to consider the years I would spend in school (4-7) and the lost opportunity for full time income during that time as well as the harsh reality that the increase in salary and total amount paid in student loans isn’t worth the “prestige” of having a doctorate."

Yang knows the feeling.

"The joke is, yeah you have prestige," Yang said. "But you can't eat prestige."

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Yay!!!!!!!!!! OBama!!!!!!!!!!! Four more years and we can have all the educated people on welfare also!

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Like Yang, who holds a PhD in History from the University of California, many graduates are delaying marriage until they can afford the walk down the aisle.

did this person consider the phd choice taken has a rather limited market?

If this guy was smart he would have had his wife go to work so he could screw off on an immigration forum all day while collecting unemployment. So much for PhD's. This just goes to show education is over rated.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

If this guy was smart he would have had his wife go to work so he could screw off on an immigration forum all day while collecting unemployment. So much for PhD's. This just goes to show education is over rated.

:thumbs:

yup ... the guy has an education ... he can regurgitate info to pass.

doesn't make him smart.

:thumbs:

yup ... the guy has an education ... he can regurgitate info to pass.

doesn't make him smart.

:lol:

sigbet.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline
As it stands, today's twenty-somethings are toting around an average of $45,000 in debt, which PNC Financial Services estimates will nearly double to $80,000 by the time they hit their thirties.

Looks like I am right on schedule. good.gif

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Duh!

Reminds me of a conversation I had with my wife shortly after she arrived. She wanted to go to a trade school to get a certification in something so she could find gainful employment. Her first choice was fashion design. Since that's not a real job I put the kabosh on that one. Her second pick was veterinary assistance and her third was bartending.

We weighed the options, crunched the numbers, and decided that of the 12 positions in the greater Cincinnati area that would be available for a veterinary assistant it would be highly unlikely that she'd find employment quickly in one of those positions.

We crunched the numbers for bartending as well. Of the 12,000 positions in the greater Cincinnati area we determined she'd probably have a pretty good shot at finding gainful employment in one of those. In fact, she found many and even had a job (several, actually) lined up before finishing the class.

... neither one of us have a PhD. Nor are we on food stamps.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Well, that's the kind of thing that can happen when you offer $50 to everyone who posts on a thread.

Yeah but so far it is just in the A/R column, soon to be moved to "bad debts"

Duh!

Reminds me of a conversation I had with my wife shortly after she arrived. She wanted to go to a trade school to get a certification in something so she could find gainful employment. Her first choice was fashion design. Since that's not a real job I put the kabosh on that one. Her second pick was veterinary assistance and her third was bartending.

We weighed the options, crunched the numbers, and decided that of the 12 positions in the greater Cincinnati area that would be available for a veterinary assistant it would be highly unlikely that she'd find employment quickly in one of those positions.

We crunched the numbers for bartending as well. Of the 12,000 positions in the greater Cincinnati area we determined she'd probably have a pretty good shot at finding gainful employment in one of those. In fact, she found many and even had a job (several, actually) lined up before finishing the class.

... neither one of us have a PhD. Nor are we on food stamps.

I'm pro-choice.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

:lol:

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

might as well start issuing food stamp or ration tickets.

"Family time is very precious and you should cherish every moment of it."

01/20/12 - I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox.

01/26/12 - NOA1 received and processing at Vermont.

06/28/12 - NOA2 announced on status check.

06/29/12 - NVC received case learned on 07/2/12.

06/30/12 - Hard copy NOA2 received.

07/09/12 - NVC Casefile Number and IIN Issued.

07/16/12 - Receive and Sent DS-3032 via email.

07/17/12 - Mailed DS-3032 via mail, AOS bill received via email, paid online, Optin email sent.

07/18/12 - Optin accepted and new case number, AOS marked paid, emailed AOS packet.

07/24/12 - Assigned as Agent, IV Fee bill received via email, paid online.

07/25/12 - IV Fee marked paid, emailed IV packet.

07/31/12 - Emailed GZO Supplemental Packet 3.

08/02/12 - Case completed and commenced final review.

08/03/12 - Shipped all copies of forms/letters/documents to my wife - arriving on 8/9/12.

08/06/12 - Case completed final review.

08/09/12 - Appointment letter received via email interview date set 9/6/12.

08/14/12 - Medical exam done.

08/15/12 - Medical exam results all normal.

09/06/12 - Submitted required documents at the embassy and interview set next day at 0730.

09/07/12 - Visa approved, click here for review http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-dos-cis-reviews.php?entry=10401 .

09/14/12 - Visa received on hand!

10/07/12 - Arrived at NYC! click here for review http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-poe-reviews.php?entry=15293

10/20/12 - Received welcome letter from USCIS.

10/25/12 - Green Card received!

"Nothing is more difficult than the art of maneuvering for advantageous positions." - Sun-Tzu

04/27/13 - Submitted DS-160 online for parent-in-laws and sister-in-law.

05/01/13 - Paid DS-160 or MRV Fee Payments on CGI Stanley.

05/03/13 - Made appointment for 05/16/13 on CGI Stanley.

05/16/13 - Arrived at GUZ and impromptu notice on the front it was closed.

05/30/13 - B2 visa interview passed! Read review here http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/433263-b2-visa-was-approved-for-parentinlaw/ <p>

"Good ideas are not adopted automatically. They must be driven into practice with courageous patience." - ADM Hyman G. Rickover

08/08/14 - Mailed I-175 application.

08/11/14 - I-175 arrived at VSC.

08/18/14 - Received NOA1 with date 08/12/14.

08/27/14 - Received biometrics appointment for 09/09/14.

02/27/15 - GC in production from email notification.

03/02/15 - Received NOA2 with approval dated 02/25/15.

Filed: Timeline

The position of a tenured track professor is very competitive. Without it, one becomes a temporary worker. In addition, his field is one wherein it is quite difficult to get a job... A long time ago there was this PhD holder in Social Sciences that was homeless. Another big problem there if he applies for a position "lower than what his dissertation is all about" no one will hire him. The best way is to tell a lie. He will get an assistant to.... job but it may lead to a permanent position but salary of course is less. A tenured Asst Prof earns about 122,000+ US dollars per year.