chimcham

Anyone buy a house while AOS'ing? - VA Loan

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

OP is AOSing from an L-1, which authorizes work and the issuance of an SSN, so that's not the problem.

I believe she was asking with regard to her own circumstances.

People who are AOSing from a non-immigrant status like B-1 wouldn't qualify until they had an EAD and SSN and most likely a credit history.

The above is incorrect. (See my previous post.)

iagree.gif

Filed: Timeline

I believe she was asking with regard to her own circumstances.

The above is incorrect. (See my previous post.)

We were referring to the requirements of gov't backed mortgages. Gov't backed mortgages require an SSN and authorization to work. It didn't have anything to do with your previous post, as the post I was replying to was talking about gov't backed mortage requirements.

Edited by grrrrreat

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I am not sure if this is an issue-but did anyone have trouble securing their mortgage while being here on a "temporary" status here in the US? I have all these random questions coming from our loan officer, like, well, where is her "resident" card...rather than my visa that I provided them.

We did a VA loan. I was asked questions about my status but just so they could mark a box. I told them I was here on a fiance visa and was pending AOS. They didn't want to see my NOA1 or anything so they put "non-resident alien" or something like that... It really wasn't a big deal. I was NOT on the mortgage but I AM on the deed as the spouse of the mortgage holder.

Don't stress about it, just tell them what you know. You're here legally, nothing to worry about. Plus you don't NEED to be on the mortgage... check with your bank if that's an issue.

Aside from that - agree! VA was a life-saver. While our house was and is not "my dream home" it definitely feels good to own our own house, to be paying less for my mortgage a month than my sister in Aus does a week on her rental, and we can make changes and sell the house when it's all good (or rent it out). There are guidelines for how long we need to live here before we can on-sell (due to the VA and FHA stuff) but it's not a huge deal.

Good luck and congrats!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline

We are also looking into purchasing a house within the next few months. I have an interview with someone tomorrow afternoon as a matter of a fact. When speaking with a different lender, the guy told me that since my husband we wouldn't count him on the mortgage, but he would be on the rest of the information. Overall, there shouldn't be a problem getting a home if at least one of you has good credit. We'll see how this appointment goes tomorrow though :thumbs:

Adjustment of Status from H2B

03.25.12 - Medical I-693 completed.

04.05.12 - Mailed AOS package (I-130, I-485, I-131, I-765) to Chicago Lockbox.

04.06.12 - AOS package signed for by USCIS.

04.11.12 - Email/Text notification regarding acceptance confirmation received.

04.16.12 - NOAs received.

04.18.12 - Biometrics appointment received (set for May 4th).

05.04.12 - Biometrics appointment successful, BUT received notification of RFE being sent hours after appointment.

05.10.12 - RFE received.

05.19.12 - Mailed RFE response.

05.21.12 - RFE response signed and received by USCIS.

05.23.12 - Email/Text notification of RFE Response received by USCIS.

06.06.12 - Email/Text notification of AOS Interview.

06.08.12 - Interview Letter Received (set for July 9th).

06.11.12 - Email/Text notification of EAD Card Production & AP approval.

06.13.12 - Got some GREAT NEWS!

06.14.12 - Email/Text notification of 2nd EAD/AP Card Production.

06.15.12 - Email/Text notification of EAD/AP Card Mailed.

06.18.12 - EAD/AP Card received in mail.

07.09.12 - AOS Interview .. Awaiting decision.

07.18.12 - RFE notification... I can't believe this *SMH*

07.20.12 - I-130 Approved.

08.15.12 - RFE Response mailed.

08.23.12 - I-485 Approved.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Bahamas
Timeline

Not a problem for us as I did not include my wife on the loan as she had no credit history and I had an excellent credit score. Why would I do something that is financially not a good idea and would have cost me maybe a hundred thousand dollars over the life of the loan due to the significantly higher interest rate. I have no problems with including my wife in my life and combining our lives, but I will not let the USCIS dictitate to me how I should or should not do things just to satisfy them to prove my relationship is bona fide.

You might want to start the loan process over with only your husband unless your credit is better than his. I do not know how Canadians are treated in that regard, but I would look into what the interest rate would be with you on the loan and without you. If the loan officer tells you that you must be on the loan, find a new loan officer as no one must be on a loan if the other qualifies.

Good luck,

Dave

Dave, we must have had the same thought at the same time. i cried with my hubby yesterday after seeing i wil get an rfe. I bought a home in 2010 on an h1b. visa. my husband has owned his home for 5 years. his credit is horrible and mine stellar. it stressed me that uscis would dictate to us to do something financially unnecessary as adding names to deeds and opening/editing lines of credit to prove a bonafide marriage. he sympathised with me but i know he will never comprehend what it feels like to prove love and committment to an agency through money.

Adjustment from H1B

03/09-married and happy
04/20-mailed aos, 130,ead,131 to chicago from florida via UPS.
04/23-ups delivered at 9:03 am
04/25-uscic texts and emails for four docs.6:02 pm (case sent to NBC.)
04/26- both checks cashed
05/01-four paper NOAs in the mail
05/01-biometrics appt mailed
05/03-bio appt rcvd. scheduled 05/21. hialeah ASC
05/08-RFE mailed.
05/12-RFE rcvd. USC husband 2011 taxes, proof of IO employment authorization???
05/14-mailed rfe requested info to MSC.
05/16-successful walk in at Hialeah. 20minutes no questions asked.
05/18- RFE response review email text 5:00 pm
06/22- Card/ Document Production
06/30-Ead ap combo in hand
07/24-interview scheduled 08/27/2012
08/27/2012-interview-approved. Texts/emails at 6:30pm
08/30- Card production texts
09/04/2012-Welcome to America. Green Card in hand!

I751 REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

Mailed to VSC 06/18/2014.

NOA dated 06/25/2014.
Check cashed 06/27/2014.

Biometric appointment 07/22/2014

Early walk in 07/09/2014

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I can contribute my experience here. Hubby (US citizen) and I did purchase a home while I was AOS'ing. What needed to happen was that I needed to be excluded from the loan as I was not yet a permanent resident AND I had no credit score in USA. THey tried to initially include me but then we were getting into foreign income and all that messy stuff that makes the loans risky. Hubby successfully secured a loan because he had a golden credit score and we had enough money down.

Good luck!

2011 - 2013 - K-1, AOS, Lifting COnditions

2013 - 2014 - GC approved

2024 - Instead of renewing, why not go the full monty? (They actually made it really easy to do this)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

We closed on a house in 2009 in Wash DC area while my AOS was pending and I was the main applicant for the loan. They asked me for my EAD, as I didn't have a GC then. I would say be prepared to show proof of legal status if necessary.

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I can contribute my experience here. Hubby (US citizen) and I did purchase a home while I was AOS'ing. What needed to happen was that I needed to be excluded from the loan as I was not yet a permanent resident AND I had no credit score in USA. THey tried to initially include me but then we were getting into foreign income and all that messy stuff that makes the loans risky. Hubby successfully secured a loan because he had a golden credit score and we had enough money down.

Good luck!

Thank you, that answers my question. Same deal, my husband has no credit score so I was wondering what they'd do. Mine's not quite golden...maybe gold plated? :P Hopefully good enough.

AOS

5/16/2012 - Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 1:33pm

5/21/2012 - Email/text notifications received at 4:50 p.m.

5/26/2012 - NOA hard copies received for I-130, I-485 and I-765

6/19/2012 - Biometrics completed.

7/02/2012 - Text/email/hard copy notification of interview.

7/30/2012 - EAD card production ordered.

8/02/2012 - Interview @ 2:00

8/02/2012 - Email notification of GC production at 5:30pm

8/07/2012 - Second GC production email

8/07/2012 - EAD received.

8/08/2012 - GC mailed.

8/09/2012 - Welcome letter and I-130 approval letter received.

8/10/2012 - Green card received. :)

• 3 weeks later...

If you can carry the mortgage on your income then you are better off being the only person on the loan as they will charge you a higher interest rate if they have to add someone who has no credit history.

I bought a house in California and had no problems doing it. The loan was VA sponsored and the whole process took a little more than 60 days. I was the only one on the mortgage contract. They key is to have an excellent credit rating, an income that would be more than enough to pay for the mortgage, and permanent source of income to show stability of living standards.

And this was done before I filed my I-130 for my wife and son. Now I'm thinking of having the house rented out because it looks like I'm going to be in for a long wait.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.