chimcham

Anyone buy a house while AOS'ing? - VA Loan

24 posts in this topic

I am not sure if this is an issue-but did anyone have trouble securing their mortgage while being here on a "temporary" status here in the US? I have all these random questions coming from our loan officer, like, well, where is her "resident" card...rather than my visa that I provided them.

06/25/12-2 Year Green Card Approved

05/13/14-Mailed ROC

05/15/14-NOA Receipt Date

05/19/14-Check posted to account and NOA received in mail

Filed: Timeline

I am not sure if this is an issue-but did anyone have trouble securing their mortgage while being here on a "temporary" status here in the US? I have all these random questions coming from our loan officer, like, well, where is her "resident" card...rather than my visa that I provided them.

Never gone through this, but if you are working with a gov't-backed mortgage company (e.g., Freddie Mac), the underwriting guidelines should be the same whether you are U.S. citizen, legal permanent resident, or a non-permanent resident in another category.

http://www.freddiemac.com/sell/factsheets/res_alien.htm

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't have an answer, I just wanted to chime in and say I've been wondering about that too. We're considering buying a house soon, and I don't know if I have to get the mortgage just in my name as a USC. (I might have to anyway, because he's never had a credit card or anything.) But I'd still like to know...

AOS

5/16/2012 - Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 1:33pm

5/21/2012 - Email/text notifications received at 4:50 p.m.

5/26/2012 - NOA hard copies received for I-130, I-485 and I-765

6/19/2012 - Biometrics completed.

7/02/2012 - Text/email/hard copy notification of interview.

7/30/2012 - EAD card production ordered.

8/02/2012 - Interview @ 2:00

8/02/2012 - Email notification of GC production at 5:30pm

8/07/2012 - Second GC production email

8/07/2012 - EAD received.

8/08/2012 - GC mailed.

8/09/2012 - Welcome letter and I-130 approval letter received.

8/10/2012 - Green card received. :)

Not a problem for us as I did not include my wife on the loan as she had no credit history and I had an excellent credit score. Why would I do something that is financially not a good idea and would have cost me maybe a hundred thousand dollars over the life of the loan due to the significantly higher interest rate. I have no problems with including my wife in my life and combining our lives, but I will not let the USCIS dictitate to me how I should or should not do things just to satisfy them to prove my relationship is bona fide.

You might want to start the loan process over with only your husband unless your credit is better than his. I do not know how Canadians are treated in that regard, but I would look into what the interest rate would be with you on the loan and without you. If the loan officer tells you that you must be on the loan, find a new loan officer as no one must be on a loan if the other qualifies.

Good luck,

Dave

@ grrreat. We are using a VA loan...same thing? not sure. Just got me nervous when they started asking me questions. I told them I could send them my NOA if they need proof that I am pending approval...........

Not a problem for us as I did not include my wife on the loan as she had no credit history and I had an excellent credit score. Why would I do something that is financially not a good idea and would have cost me maybe a hundred thousand dollars over the life of the loan due to the significantly higher interest rate. I have no problems with including my wife in my life and combining our lives, but I will not let the USCIS dictitate to me how I should or should not do things just to satisfy them to prove my relationship is bona fide.

You might want to start the loan process over with only your husband unless your credit is better than his. I do not know how Canadians are treated in that regard, but I would look into what the interest rate would be with you on the loan and without you. If the loan officer tells you that you must be on the loan, find a new loan officer as no one must be on a loan if the other qualifies.

Good luck,

Dave

Thanks. We were pre-approved with both of us on the loan...credit thankfully isn't the issue because I have been here for 3 years already...but just got worried while they started asking questions.....

05/13/14-Mailed ROC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

From the HUD handbook:

Non-Permanent Resident Aliens are eligible for FHA-insured mortgages provided the property will be the borrower?s principal residence, they have a valid social security number, and the borrower is eligible to work in the US.

But, my question is how does it apply to people in the middle of AOS? If he doesn't have a SSN yet (no EAD) then no FHA loan?

AOS

5/16/2012 - Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 1:33pm

5/21/2012 - Email/text notifications received at 4:50 p.m.

5/26/2012 - NOA hard copies received for I-130, I-485 and I-765

6/19/2012 - Biometrics completed.

7/02/2012 - Text/email/hard copy notification of interview.

7/30/2012 - EAD card production ordered.

8/02/2012 - Interview @ 2:00

8/02/2012 - Email notification of GC production at 5:30pm

8/07/2012 - Second GC production email

8/07/2012 - EAD received.

8/08/2012 - GC mailed.

8/09/2012 - Welcome letter and I-130 approval letter received.

8/10/2012 - Green card received. :)

@ grrreat. We are using a VA loan...same thing? not sure. Just got me nervous when they started asking me questions. I told them I could send them my NOA if they need proof that I am pending approval...........

Thanks. We were pre-approved with both of us on the loan...credit thankfully isn't the issue because I have been here for 3 years already...but just got worried while they started asking questions.....

I can't imagine your immigration status would be disqualifying for a VA loan, but I've never dealt with a VA-backed loan. I think you should definitely explain that although you are in the U.S. as a non-permanent legal resident in the L-1 category, you are adjusting status to lawful permanent resident.

It's possible the mortgage consultant just doesn't understand the difference between lawful permanent resident and a non-permanent resident who is here lawfully.

It's possible the mortgage consultant just doesn't understand the difference between lawful permanent resident and a non-permanent resident who is here lawfully.

I think you are right. I just get scared. I would hate for us to disqualify on our dream house because of my status here....and his time served in Iraq..thank god for the VA loan-its making our dream home possible!

05/13/14-Mailed ROC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Quite honestly - being non-permanent resident is a perfect reason for denial - think about it for a second - L-1B holder will eventually have to leave to US (let's leave AoS aside for a sec). Why would you lend lots of money to someone who will be gone in a few years and then end with a house that will most likely be a loss ?

Quite honestly - being non-permanent resident is a perfect reason for denial - think about it for a second - L-1B holder will eventually have to leave to US (let's leave AoS aside for a sec). Why would you lend lots of money to someone who will be gone in a few years and then end with a house that will most likely be a loss ?

This is incorrect. There are a ton of people who don't even reside in the US that own property here-and several people gave links confirming this.

05/13/14-Mailed ROC

Hi there. I'm going to move your topic to the General Immigration-Related Discussion from AOS Process From Other Visas and add the VA tag to your subject line. Hopefully, that will get you the information you are seeking.

It sounds like you already have established credit in the US, so that's not your problem. Many Canadians have not had a problem with regard to status.... just lack of credit in the U.S. (Some financial institutions will pull the Canadian credit, and some will not.) In any event, your status should not be an impediment, but that all depends upon the backer you are dealing with and their regulations. It certainly wasn't a problem with our financial institution pre-AOS, but we weren't dealing with the VA.

Good luck.

iagree.gif

Hi there. I'm going to move your topic to the General Immigration-Related Discussion from AOS Process From Other Visas and add the VA tag to your subject line. Hopefully, that will get you the information you are seeking.

It sounds like you already have established credit in the US, so that's not your problem. Many Canadians have not had a problem with regard to status.... just lack of credit in the U.S. (Some financial institutions will pull the Canadian credit, and some will not.) In any event, your status should not be an impediment, but that all depends upon the backer you are dealing with and their regulations. It certainly wasn't a problem with our financial institution pre-AOS, but we weren't dealing with the VA.

Good luck.

Thank you! I appreciate your response :)

05/13/14-Mailed ROC

Why would the house be a total loss?

From the HUD handbook:

Non-Permanent Resident Aliens are eligible for FHA-insured mortgages provided the property will be the borrower?s principal residence, they have a valid social security number, and the borrower is eligible to work in the US.

But, my question is how does it apply to people in the middle of AOS? If he doesn't have a SSN yet (no EAD) then no FHA loan?

OP is AOSing from an L-1, which authorizes work and the issuance of an SSN, so that's not the problem.

People who are AOSing from a non-immigrant status like B-1 wouldn't qualify until they had an EAD and SSN and most likely a credit history.

I don't have an answer, I just wanted to chime in and say I've been wondering about that too. We're considering buying a house soon, and I don't know if I have to get the mortgage just in my name as a USC. (I might have to anyway, because he's never had a credit card or anything.) But I'd still like to know...

If you can carry the mortgage on your income then you are better off being the only person on the loan as they will charge you a higher interest rate if they have to add someone who has no credit history.

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.