Frankie19

Same Sex Spouse - Visa

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Greetings,

In reading the information for spousal visas, gender is not mentioned, only that the marriage be legal in country that the marriage took place.

Same sex marriage is federally recognized in Mexico if the marriage occurred in DF and Quintana Roo. I am sure that someone has attempted to file in the US to challenge the process.

Any words on how this is going? I am hoping that it Obama is re-elected, he'll smash the DOMA, but in the mean time what is immigration doing with applications?

Cheers!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Currently same sex couples are not eligible for fiance(e) or spouse visa petitions no matter where the marriage took place.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Under the Defense of Marriage Act, same-sex partners are not eligible for K-1 visas, even those with petitioners from states that otherwise allow same sex partners to marry. However, a 2005 decision ruled that transsexuals, such as Thai kathoeys and Filipina baklas can get fiancé visas sponsored by the sex of their pre-op gender, so long as that sponsor lives in a state where the transsexual marriage will be recognized as heterosexual.

God Does for those who do for themselves..!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Greetings,

In reading the information for spousal visas, gender is not mentioned, only that the marriage be legal in country that the marriage took place.

Same sex marriage is federally recognized in Mexico if the marriage occurred in DF and Quintana Roo. I am sure that someone has attempted to file in the US to challenge the process.

Any words on how this is going? I am hoping that it Obama is re-elected, he'll smash the DOMA, but in the mean time what is immigration doing with applications?

Cheers!

Yes they have. A Vermont/Quebec lesbian married couple has filed a suit aginst the federal government/DOMA, it was recently covered in our local newspaper, in an attempt to obtain a CR-1 visa. They had filed an I-130 and it was denied. The Federal government does not recognize same sex marriage and DID NOT before the DOMA (which is fairly recent) Eliminating the DOMA would need to be followed by the passage of an Act, at minimum, or an amendment to recognize same sex marriage on the Federal level.

Such a lawsuit could last for years, of course.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Think about it this way: a petition to bring in a foreign spouse is adjudicated by a federal agency, so as long as same sex marriage is not recognized as valid at the federal level, they won't approve such petitions.

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
EMBASSY STAGE
03/27/12: interview - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
12/19/14: received reminder letter from USCIS to file for ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

05/14/24: approved at interview, same-day oath ceremony in San Francisco 🥳 🇺🇸

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

A lawsuit was filed in April with five couples as plaintiffs. It will take a long time for it to go through, but I'm optimistic that it will ultimately be successful (although I think it's also likely DOMA will be repealed or struck down before this case makes it up to the supreme court). There are many anti-DOMA lawsuits in the pipeline and one of them will make it to the Supreme Court so they can finally verify that "all men are created equal" actually includes everyone. Immigration Equality is the organization helping with the lawsuit and they have a page dedicated to updates: http://www.immigrationequality.org/lawsuit/. Good luck.

AOS (from tourist w/overstay)

1/26/10 - NOA

5/04/10 - interview appt - approved

ROC

2/06/12 - NOA date

7/31/12 - card production ordered

N-400

2/08/13 - NOA date

3/05/13 - biometrics appt

6/18/13 - interview - passed!

7/18/13 - oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

one post that adds nothing to the conversation removed.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

• 3 months later...

I had NO idea that same sex couples did not qualify for the K1/CR1 visa route and Im so angry at that fact.....there must be people challenging this???

My friend has just returned from the US and is just as heartbroken as I am and everyone else here at having to leave their loved one behind,yet they have very few choices other than to just holiday together at the moment. Why cant people just live and let live?

The government seem happy to take the taxes off gay/lesbian people and expect them to abide by the laws of the States and land yet treat them like second class citizens......disgusting.

event.png"]My link[/url]

[/url]"]My link[/url]ur[l=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

event.png

[/url]

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

I had NO idea that same sex couples did not qualify for the K1/CR1 visa route and Im so angry at that fact.....there must be people challenging this???

My friend has just returned from the US and is just as heartbroken as I am and everyone else here at having to leave their loved one behind,yet they have very few choices other than to just holiday together at the moment. Why cant people just live and let live?

The government seem happy to take the taxes off gay/lesbian people and expect them to abide by the laws of the States and land yet treat them like second class citizens......disgusting.

Several same-sex couples are, and in the most recent past the Commonwealth of Massachusetts challenged DOMA in two instances, and have won in Federal Courts.

The Constitutionality - or lack thereof - of DOMA is going all the way to the SCOTUS, which is expected to rule and strike it down, based on the X Amendment. It will most likely be a 5-4 ruling with Antonin Scalia being the tie-breaker.

For the time being, same-sex couples will have to wait a little longer for their visas or be creative in the meanwhile.

Edited by Gegel

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Im glad to hear theres hope......I just feel so bad for my friend I was going to point them here but there doesn't seem to be any point now. Life can be so unfair can't it.*Sigh.

event.png"]My link[/url]

event.png

[/url]

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Im glad to hear theres hope......I just feel so bad for my friend I was going to point them here but there doesn't seem to be any point now. Life can be so unfair can't it.*Sigh.

It is only a matter of time. It will happen eventually but it must walk its way up the legal ladder.

Are they both stateside? If they are, they can still apply, wait to be denied, which will happen, and file a lawsuit, so that the foreign partner can stay legally in the US while their suit is pending and until the SCOTUS rule on the matter.

It is not an inexpensive proposition and it is not without stress either, but someone has got to put up the good fight. They will need a lawyer so that certain steps of the process are observed in order to make the lawsuit stick in court. In addition they can look up LGBT groups and see if there is a class action suit challenging DOMA in which they could participate.

Edited by Gegel

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Thankyou so much for this information, my friend returned from the US yesterday in bits at having to leave. When everythings calmed down I'll ask what their intentions are and suggest what you said......thankyou :thumbs:

event.png"]My link[/url]

event.png

[/url]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.