mikey4

Can K1 beneficiary wait out the time in the states?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I was wondering if my fiancee can wait out the few remaining months before she gets her interview date in London. September 9th will be 5 months since USCIS filed our K1. Her job is killing her, she would leave her job. We are financially able for her to come here in August and September, go back to London and wait for the Packet 3 from the US embassy. Hypothetically At the time of her interview, if she had not been working for the past several months would this jeopardize our chances at all for approval? It seems like such a waste of time. She can rent out her flat and still have the security of having a place and she plans on quitting her job anyway...we just want to know if the Embassy frowns upon fiancees that have no job.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

the embassy doesnt care about whether the intending immigrant is working or not and quite a few people from vVWP countries do what you hope to do. just make sure your fiancee shows strong ties to the UK when she travels to the US

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Timeline

the embassy doesnt care about whether the intending immigrant is working or not and quite a few people from vVWP countries do what you hope to do. just make sure your fiancee shows strong ties to the UK when she travels to the US

I was wondering if my fiancee can wait out the few remaining months before she gets her interview date in London. September 9th will be 5 months since USCIS filed our K1. Her job is killing her, she would leave her job. We are financially able for her to come here in August and September, go back to London and wait for the Packet 3 from the US embassy. Hypothetically At the time of her interview, if she had not been working for the past several months would this jeopardize our chances at all for approval? It seems like such a waste of time. She can rent out her flat and still have the security of having a place and she plans on quitting her job anyway...we just want to know if the Embassy frowns upon fiancees that have no job.

She can visit IF she can get admitted by CBP. As a UK citizen, she may have no problems or she may have all kinds of problems as she will not have a job and she may not have strong enough ties to her home country to be issued a visa or qualify for the VWP. She can try. Her working is not an issue; it is the USC's income that determines whether a co-sponsor is required. At least she is from a country that coming to the US is easier than most of us. Have her try, but do not be upset if she is denied entry to the US due to insignificant ties to the UK.

Good luck,

Dave

Timeline

Thank you. We can have most if not all the packet forms done prior to the notification of the K3 package...she flys back with plenty of time for her medical...goes to her interview and hopefully all is good. If anyone has a sucess or not storey with regards to this...it would be most appreciated!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hey Mikey!

Yes, there are many successful stories about visiting the US while the K1 is in progress, particularly from the UK. Just like Dave told you, she will have to face a CBP officer and it's up to their discretion (including which side of the bed they woke up from) to let her in or not. She will have to show strong ties to England in order to convince the office that she'll be coming back.

The successful stories include people who have had to show proof and many who weren't even asked for it; however there are those who also had proof and were denied entrance.

The important thing to know is that, in the event she gets turned back, it will have no impact, whatsoever, on the K1 process.

good.gif

Timeline

Hey Mikey!

Yes, there are many successful stories about visiting the US while the K1 is in progress, particularly from the UK. Just like Dave told you, she will have to face a CBP officer and it's up to their discretion (including which side of the bed they woke up from) to let her in or not. She will have to show strong ties to England in order to convince the office that she'll be coming back.

The successful stories include people who have had to show proof and many who weren't even asked for it; however there are those who also had proof and were denied entrance.

The important thing to know is that, in the event she gets turned back, it will have no impact, whatsoever, on the K1 process.

good.gif

Thank you. The distance and time variable is horrific! Happy marriage and success with your K1.

Timeline

Thank you. The distance and time variable is horrific! Happy marriage and success with your K1.

Hi Mikey,

I'm intending to do exactly the same. I'm planning to come in on my ESTA & return for my medical & interview. I will however have proof that I'm solvent ( bank statements) plus a letter from my employer giving me extended leave. My 5 months is up at the beginning of July. I'm sure you can fill in most of the forms online. I could be wrong but I'm sure the VJ experts can advise.

Good luck & keep me posted.

Claire

Timeline

Hi Mikey,

I'm intending to do exactly the same. I'm planning to come in on my ESTA & return for my medical & interview. I will however have proof that I'm solvent ( bank statements) plus a letter from my employer giving me extended leave. My 5 months is up at the beginning of July. I'm sure you can fill in most of the forms online. I could be wrong but I'm sure the VJ experts can advise.

Good luck & keep me posted.

Claire

Thank you so much....what a mental process all this is....but well worth it ....as my fiancee is a true miracle!!!

Timeline

Thank you so much....what a mental process all this is....but well worth it ....as my fiancee is a true miracle!!!

Very true. In the grand scheme of things 5 months is nothing. My fiancé & I first met 23 yrs ago but due to the US military we got split up but true love always finds a way. We did & so grateful for the second chance.

Miracles happen.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I visited here several times during the K-1 process. I was taken into secondary a few times for some further questioning but I always managed to smile sweetly and convince them I would return home after my visit. :devil:

Make sure she brings evidence of ties, perhaps some documents linking her to her apartment back home?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Edited by Andie

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

We are financially able for her to come here in August and September, go back to London and wait for the Packet 3 from the US embassy.

You don't need to wait on the packet 3. It's all online and can be done from the US, even calling for your medical appointment. You might want to become familiar with the London process so she gets her documents and shots in order before she leaves the UK. This thread will help you http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/350185-london-2012-k1s-from-noa2-to-interview-thread/

Once the petition is approved, that's normally crunch time to do things in the UK, not be abroad so she needs to know she's done everything way early or she'll be delaying her visa.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

We filed in January and my fiance came to see me already once in Feb. and again for a few weeks in April. He got no questions the first time. In April they asked him who he was visiting, he said his fiance, they said: "when are you returning" He gave them a copy of the return flight ticket. They asked who he worked for. He told them, then they said something about "when are you getting married?" and Ray was honest and said, "well, that is up to the US government, we have filed for a K1." The guy laughed and said have a good trip..... :wacko: As for packet 3, we have all of that done already. You can do most of that ahead of time before she comes... Good luck to you!!!

My guy had no problems visiting under the VWP for 89 days coming from the UK. When the customs officer asked why he was staying so long, he said to visit me his fiancee, get to know my family better, etc. He said, "I have a return flight, would you like to see it." The customs woman said, "Actually, yes I would" and there were no problems after he showed the return flight.

He had quit his job too and gave up the lease on his apartment and will be living with relatives for the duration of this process after he goes back on Sunday, so we were a little worried about the ties to the UK, but he had bank statements, etc. We were prepared to show whatever they needed... but I was super paranoid about him being rejected and had called a lawyer prior to his visit. The lawyer gave a good piece of advise and said that VWP is also meant to promote tourism, and things like "planning a wedding" isn't really tourist purposes... but visiting family, seeing the sights of the city the beneficiary is going to live in, etc. are genuine tourist purposes.

There's no guarantees, but the lawyer even said I was worrying too much lol.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.