FullFledged

Tell me I can't do this

54 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

How about she enters the US, the next day you send in the K1 application, she stays for the whole 90 days then goes back home foar another 3 months or so until she gets the visa? That would shorten the apart time.

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I'd just like to add here that I was unaware Singapore was eligible under the Visa Waiver Program. Under these circumstances I am not sure if you can apply for a B-type visa. Especially while having CR-1 pending.

Perfectly fine to apply for a tourist visa. There is a big disadvantage by doing so however, when being from a VWP country. If one gets denied at the interview, then it automatically takes away the opportunity of travelling on VWP in the future. Having a pending immigrant petition out there may or may not count against the applicant at the (tourist visa) interview.

I'd try to visit on VWP. Circumstances taken into consideration, if you're denied entry on VWP, you'd most likely be denied with a tourist visa, too. A tourist visa doesn't really take away a CBP's suspicion.

I'm not saying it to freak the OP out, no point in doing so. Just that is would probably be money out the window to apply for a tourist visa - it's not a guarantee to be let into the US, and fiancee would have to demonstrate stronger ties to home country than the US. Might be hard with and immigrant petition out there.

Edit: :ot2:

The fiance(e) visa is more expensive in the long run however when you've already met once within the past 2 years, you can send it right away(almost; gathering papers takes a wee bit time) which shaves off the waiting compared to getting married and filing the CR-1(i-130) petition.

Edited by moomin

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: Timeline

Okay, enough with the berating. The OP has stated a number of times he wasn't looking to do anything illegal. Please stop.

One post removed. Take it to PM. Any further will get you thread-banned.

Agreed. The OP isn't trying to look for ways to circumvent the system, just advice on how to be reunited with his wife the quickest way possible. In the end, I think that's why most of us in the CR-1/K-1 process are here.

Not knowing something is illegal and asking for advice is not the same as asking for advice on how to break the law.

Edited by jaejayC

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Macedonia
Timeline

Wondered about that too. If she can use the VWP, why do you two meet in Canada/ plan to get married there? Why not the USA? It's perfectly legal for her to come to the USA and get married here she just cannot stay longer than the 90 days given on the VWP.

The problem is you cannot legally enter the US on a tourist VISA with the intention of getting married. And saying anything other than "I am getting married" would be fraud. And just saying that is going to be an immediate denial. For those of us that are trying to do it legally, immigration really leaves us with no choice but to be separated from our loved ones until the process is complete. Unless you can afford to stay or work in her native country until everything is complete.

Our Journey:

10/02/2011: Met while working in Afghanistan
10/15/2011: First "date"
01/03/2012: Hired an attorney to file our K-1
02/05/2012: He returned to Macedonia
02/29/2012: My first visit to Skopje
03/03/2012: Met my future family
03/15/2012: I-129F package mailed / returned to Afghanistan
03/19/2012: Received notification of arrival of I-129F
03/21/2012: NOA1 mailed
07/15/2012: 2nd trip to Skopje
09/20/2012: NOA2 notice
10/05/2012: Attorney Received Case number from NVC
10/25/2012: Received packet 3 ( the same time I left on my flight back to the US)
11/06/2012: Medical Scheduled
11/15/2012: Interview - Denied due to "lack of proof of relationship"
11/27/2012; 2nd Interview scheduled - APPROVED!
11/29/2012: VISA IN HAND!
11/30/2012: POE NYC-JFK
12/12/2012: WEDDING!!!

02/26/2013: I-485 Filed

09/10/2013: Green card received NO INTERVIEW!!!!

The problem is you cannot legally enter the US on a tourist VISA with the intention of getting married. And saying anything other than "I am getting married" would be fraud. And just saying that is going to be an immediate denial. For those of us that are trying to do it legally, immigration really leaves us with no choice but to be separated from our loved ones until the process is complete. Unless you can afford to stay or work in her native country until everything is complete.

I have had many friends who went down to Vegas or Florida to get married and left again. There is nothing fraudulent about it. It is a destination wedding.

Fraud only comes in if you enter the US and INTEND to get married and STAY.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

The problem is you cannot legally enter the US on a tourist VISA with the intention of getting married. And saying anything other than "I am getting married" would be fraud.

That is not true. As hikergirl already stated, it is perfectly legal to enter the USA with the intention of getting married, as long as you do not overstay your visa/ visa waiver. The only illegal thing is planning to enter the USA with the intention of getting married AND STAYING.

The second sentence is also not true. If you get asked "are you going to get married?" or some such at the border then yes, you need to be truthful. Never lie to immigration! But there is a difference between lying/ fraud and not volunteering unnecessary information. So for example if, during your stay, you plan to see the Grand Canyon, gable in Vegas, get married in Vegas and eat at IHOP, and the question the immigration officer asks you is "What do you plan to do during your month's vacation here?" it is fine to say "I am looking forward to seeing the Grand Canyon for the first time and eating at IHOP again, I love American style pancakes."

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Timeline

For those of us that are trying to do it legally, immigration really leaves us with no choice but to be separated from our loved ones until the process is complete. Unless you can afford to stay or work in her native country until everything is complete.

Not true, it's perfectly legal for the foreign spouse to visit while a petition/visa is pending. It can be extremely difficult to overcome the presumtion of immigrant intent at a tourist visa interview though. If the foreign spouse already holds a valid B-2 visa, or is eligible for visa waiver travel, it's fully possible, and often the "married" part doesn't even come up on entry. Like Penguin said, it's not necessary to volunteer the information either, it's not fraud unless you lie.

Edited by jaejayC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.