Stann

Health care for resident parents

22 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Does anyone have any advice on health care for my mum when we bring her over on an IR5. She will be 64 so will it be tough to find her a private plan? (she is very healthy) Neither my husband or my insurance (thru our employers) allows parents to be added. Is she entitled to anything while she is a resident before she becomes a citizen due to her age? If so will they come back to me as her sponsor and how does that work - would they send me a bill?

Any one with similar experience?

Thanks

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi all,

Does anyone have any advice on health care for my mum when we bring her over on an IR5. She will be 64 so will it be tough to find her a private plan? (she is very healthy) Neither my husband or my insurance (thru our employers) allows parents to be added. Is she entitled to anything while she is a resident before she becomes a citizen due to her age? If so will they come back to me as her sponsor and how does that work - would they send me a bill?

Thanks

Your mother will not qualify for Social Security or Medicare since she never paid into them.

As an LPR, she cannot receive any means tested benefits for 5 years. This means she cannot receive Medicaid (may be called something else in your state).

Her age does not entitle her to anything.

If your mother receives any of the prohibited means tested benefits, you will be responsible for it. The government could send you a bill or sue you for the benefits your mother receives.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Take a look at these links. Copy and past if needed. We have started the process for my wifes parents also. We have talked about health care and I found this so far or we also thought maybe her father could get a job at Wal-Mart and get health care for both of them. So many retired people at Wal-Mart.

www.visitorscoverage.com/immigrants/health-insurance-for-green-card-holders/

www.visitorscoverage.com/green-card-health-insurance/plans/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Take a look at these links. Copy and past if needed. We have started the process for my wifes parents also. We have talked about health care and I found this so far or we also thought maybe her father could get a job at Wal-Mart and get health care for both of them. So many retired people at Wal-Mart.

Expensive, limited cover.

The job option looks best.

Hi all,

Thanks

She would have to buy in after 5 years. Is she independently wealthy?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Most retired people who work at Wal-Mart are not getting benefits through their job. Most are getting Social Security and Medicare. Most states don't require Wal-Mart or any other employer to provide benefits like health insurance unless the employee is working 40 hours per week. Wal-Mart, and many other minimum wage employers, are scrupulously careful NOT to let any employee work 40 hours or more per week, specifically so that they can avoid having to provide any benefits. If you're thinking of sending pop to work in order to get health insurance then you might want to look into some grocery stores. Many are union shops and provide health insurance, and the employee's share of the premiums are reasonable.

Once they've been in the US for five years then they can get Medicare if they pay full premiums. It's not cheap, but it's a lot cheaper than most private health insurance plans. If they get sick in the meantime and need routine care then be prepared to pay out of pocket. An office visit to see a doctor can run $150 or more. Some prescriptions can also be very expensive.

If they have a medical emergency then any hospital will treat them, regardless of whether or not they have insurance or are able to pay. This is required by federal law. Nobody with a genuine medical emergency is ever supposed to be turned away from a hospital emergency room. Depending on the state or county, the hospital will either get reimbursed by the government or they'll pass the additional costs on to patients who have insurance. If the government picks up the tab then they can go after the sponsor for reimbursement.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

If they have a medical emergency then any hospital will treat them, regardless of whether or not they have insurance or are able to pay. This is required by federal law. Nobody with a genuine medical emergency is ever supposed to be turned away from a hospital emergency room. Depending on the state or county, the hospital will either get reimbursed by the government or they'll pass the additional costs on to patients who have insurance. If the government picks up the tab then they can go after the sponsor for reimbursement.

If LPR mom receives emergency care, she will qualify for Emergency Medicare. The 5 years prohibition on benefits dies not apply to Rmergency Medicare.

Emergency Medicare is not a means tested benefit. If an LPR receives Emergency Medicare, the government cannot seek reimbursement from the I-864 sponsor.

Edited by aaron2020

If LPR mom receives emergency care, she will qualify for Emergency Medicare. The 5 years prohibition on benefits dies not apply to Rmergency Medicare.

Emergency Medicare is not a means tested benefit. If an LPR receives Emergency Medicare, the government cannot seek reimbursement from the I-864 sponsor.

Thanks everyone, I think we would probably pay out of pocket for Doctor's visits and basic prescriptions. Very interesting about the Emergency Medicare, where could I find more information about that Aaron? I think we could do that for 5 years and then she could sign up for the medicare even if it is full price.

She is quite healthy and she will still visit UK a couple times a year so perhaps she could stock up on any prescriptions then.

Also, someone said the government could 'come after me' for reimbursement - how do they come after someone?

Thanks

Edited by Stann

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

You can read in the USCIS web site about emergency medicare.

What publicly funded benefits may not be considered for public charge purposes?

Medicaid and other health insurance and health services (including public assistance for immunizations and for testing and treatment of symptoms of communicable diseases; use of health clinics, short-term rehabilitation services, and emergency medical services) other than support for long-term institutional care

Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=829b0a5659083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=829b0a5659083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Edited by sandranj

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Emergency means emergency. I have a feeling you misunderstand.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Thanks everyone, I think we would probably pay out of pocket for Doctor's visits and basic prescriptions. Very interesting about the Emergency Medicaid, where could I find more information about that Aaron? Google "Emergency Medicaid I-864 means tested benefits" and you will find a bunch of articles. I think we could do that for 5 years and then she could sign up for the medicare even if it is full price. You do understand that Emergency Medicaid is for emergencies right? It is not used for routine medical needs. Your mom must be suffering a serious life threatening event that requires emergency care in order to receive Emergency Medicaid.

She is quite healthy and she will still visit UK a couple times a year so perhaps she could stock up on any prescriptions then.

Also, someone said the government could 'come after me' for reimbursement - how do they come after someone? First, the government will send you a bill. If you don't pay it, then the government can sue you to enforce the I-864 contract that you signed.

Thanks

It's Emergency Medicaid. I made a mistake in my previous post by calling it something else. It is Emergency Medicaid.

I agree. You can't just use that for 5 years. Also, you will need to check if it is means-tested in your state. Just because a benefit cannot be used to determine a public charge, and just because an LPR is eligible for a benefit, does not necessarily mean it isn't means-tested. So you could still be asked to repay it.

It may not matter. She may not be granted a visa in the first place if you cannot show that she will have (non-government) healthcare here, ie private insurance, given her age. If she is healthy you may be able to get her a private plan despite her age but it may not come cheap.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It may not matter. She may not be granted a visa in the first place if you cannot show that she will have (non-government) healthcare here, ie private insurance, given her age. If she is healthy you may be able to get her a private plan despite her age but it may not come cheap.

This.

A lot (not all) older beneficiaries get asked at interview to show proof of health insurance for when they move, especially if they are past retirement age.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I agree. You can't just use that for 5 years. Also, you will need to check if it is means-tested in your state. Just because a benefit cannot be used to determine a public charge, and just because an LPR is eligible for a benefit, does not necessarily mean it isn't means-tested. So you could still be asked to repay it.

Aaron is correct that emergency Medicaid is not considered to be a means-tested public benefit by the federal government. Regular Medicaid, on the other hand, IS considered a means-tested public benefit. The federal government's position is that both sponsor deeming and sponsor liability apply to regular Medicaid, but not to emergency Medicaid. Sponsor deeming means that the government is supposed to consider the sponsor's income and assets to be available to the immigrant, and should be included in determining the immigrant's eligibility for the benefit. Sponsor liability means that the sponsor can be asked to reimburse the government if the immigrant collects the benefits while the affidavit of support is in force.

However, Medicaid is jointly funded by both the federal and state governments. Because of this, the federal government doesn't dictate to the states every aspect of how the programs should be managed. Some states don't apply sponsor deeming or sponsor liability to any form of Medicaid. Some have public policies that apply sponsor deeming and sponsor liability only to regular Medicaid and not to emergency Medicaid. Some apply sponsor deeming and sponsor liability only when Medicaid is used for long term institutionalized care. Some don't have a stated public policy about this at all.

The whole thing may be moot. There is at least one immigrant advocacy group that claims that no state has ever sought reimbursement from a sponsor for an immigrant who used Medicaid.

Yes, this is one of three cases where the discretionary public charge determination comes into play. A consular officer can deny a visa if they believe that an alien might become a public charge in the US. USCIS can deny adjustment of status if they believe the intending immigrant might become a public charge. The third case, and the one that LPR's who used public benefits should be concerned with, is that a CBP officer can deny admission if they believe an LPR has been or will become a public charge. While an LPR would generally not be deported if they became a public charge, they could be taking a risk if they leave the US and try to reenter.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Sorry I did not make myself clear, what I meant was for 5 years we would pay for her prescriptions and doctors visit and use the emergency cover if needed. Everything else we would pay for. I understand what emergency means. After the 5 years she would qualify for Medicare when she became a citizen.

Thank you

If the emergency coverage is means tested then we would have to pay some I'm sure as both my husband and I have good jobs (how silly of us!).

How can she prove she has health insurance at the interview if she is not yet an LPR? Can a non LPR get insurance? If all else fails we will get her a private plan as discussed.

Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.